• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What to wear under shell

adamh

Looking for opinions on a good down jacket/fleece/anything else as an all around jacket to wear under my shell this winter. Not trying to spend more than $150 or so if I can help it. Any suggestions?

wa-loaf

A thin base layer and then something like a Patagonia R1 fleece is usually enough for me. On really cold days I put on a Patagonia Nano Puff pullover instead of the fleece.

gmcunni

i have a TNF uninsulated shell (says HyVent DT on sleeve, not sure if that is a model). i wear it with an underarmor mock turtle neck + light weight no-name fleece for anything down to 25. last season i switched to a jacket for colder temps but this year will be trying to just add a fleece jacket underneath with hopes of wearing the shell all season.

adamh

Is it zip in compatible? If so, you may be able to get some good deals on TNF fleece jackets depending on your size.

I tend to doubt it, but i'm not really sure exactly what that means.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Depends on how your ski too. I have a thin, no insulation Marmot Shell. I wear a relatively thin some type of poly/breathable shirt with at least a 1/4 zip and then a fleece vest. I am good like that down to about 20-25. If it dips below, I'll put on a thicker poly top and then if it gets down below I will wear a long sleeve fleece....weight of which depends on just how cold it is.

IMHO, I have found that I actually stay warmer after by not overdressing and thereby not overheating. May be a bit of a chill on the way up, but I just pull up the hood on the shell and I am better off over the course of the entire day.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Depends on temperature, how active you are, and personal preferences. But other than that, anything other than cotton :wink:

I ski with a midweight fleece under mine most of the time. I put on heavier fleece and/or a heavier long underwear top if needed. There's no silver bullet.

crank

I have a NF shell with no insulation. On cold days I wear a Columbia fleece zip up jacket. When it gets hot I unzip the sucker. Both my shell and fleece have vents I can unzip as well. If it's warm I just wear a layer or 2 of cotton under my shell and it has yet to kill me or even give me mild hypothermia. If it's ridiculously cold I weal a fleece under my fleece under my shell.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Marmot Driclime Windshirt (or the Catalyst with pockets). Just got this jacket and it is incredible. Amazing warmth for such a light weight wind jacket. Exterior is a shinny type slick surface which means extra jackets on top allow for easier motion (vs. jackets that are course exterior). I actually have a hard time wearing this jacket as a mid-layer because I get so damn hot when I am active. I think it would work ideally with ultra light weight base layer and a goretex shell. Might be too hot under a ski parka or an insulated shell. This has probably been my best clothing gear purchase ever.

darent

wear a light merino wool base layer and a light fleece 1/4 zip mid layer to about 20 *. colder weather I add a thicker fleece vest and when it gets real cold I add a long sleeve windblocker LLbean active fleece with pit vents under my outer columbia or RPK shell

Hawkshot99

On days down to around 20 I wear a Under Armour Cold gear turtle neck, and a t-shirt. Below that i will throw on a lightly insulated vest. On the below zero days I will wear a Carbon fleece instead of the vest.

skidbump

Wickers light weight for base...cheap at /www.sierratradingpost.com,Mid wieght fleece 1/4 zip works most days.May add a fleece vest in teens .When it gets down to 0 or below i switch to a heavier jacket with 2 light base layers.
All were had for under 20 each layer..Fleece is fleece

snowmonster

I usually wear an unlined Gore-Tex shell as my outer layer. Under that I have a fleece jacket and a thin baselayer. The front of my bib usually is sandwiched between the fleece and the baselayer and that gives added warmth. I peel off or put on the layers as I go. We all react to cold temps differently but that set-up has worked for me even up to -35,