• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mid-layer / all around down?

adamh

Looking at the Marmot Zeus, Montbel Ex Light, and Patagonia Sweater (unless anyone has other suggestions). Any suggestions on which is the best for layering under an uninsulated shell down to 15 degrees or so, but can also be used on it's own for other endeavors? Thanks!

ta&idaho

I use synthetic for my down-like mid-layer, since perspiration can sometimes soak the down. Shell plus synthetic down mid layer plus solid base layer --> plenty warm well below 15 degrees, at least for me. I have a true down jacket that I reserve for after-skiing enjoyment, to minimize the cross-funkification.

wa-loaf

The Patagonia Nano-puff jackets and pullovers rock! Lightweight, synthetic, minimal puffyness, and very warm.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm a gaper. I've got a 2 in 1 Columbia - shell, lightweight down system. ;)

Was always dry and never cold last season. Same as I've been for the past decade using their products.

bigbog

As riverc0il said, everyone's different.
On top of wicking layer there's the warm but thin polyester fleece, then the shell-jacket...with no insulation in that. If it's a really cold morning a lightweight vest goes over the fleece, but I most often end up taking it off within a couple hours...*but that was with other baselayer and fleece. Trying some of Patagonia's...their R1 feels like it'll be warmer than my previous fleece, ie might not need the extra vest :smile:.
adamh, my winter "shell" = unlined ski jacket. Try one on in a shop. I don't think you'll need anything heavy, like Marmot's Zeus, on underneath.

$.01

Last edited: