• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ski boot bags

gmcunni

Love my Transpack boot bag. It is a few years old and some of the seams are starting to rip so I think i'll be putting one on my Christmas list. My only complaint about the bag I have is the size, i have the smallest adult model but that is easy enough to fix.

Flipping through my new Ski managzine i noticed a Dakine boot bag, anyone have this? looks different design than the Transpack. Rather than a triangle shape with the boots on the outside and the middle open for stuff the Dakine has the boots together in the middle and some storage in front and perhaps on the side. My question about the Dakine bag is can a helmet fit in too?

http://www.dakine.com/travel-bags/ski/boot-pack/

EOS

This is the bag I use. But it's a little bit more than just a ski boot bag. There is a waterproof membrane between the boot compartment and the top one (where I stash clothes, gloves, hat, goggles, etc..).

o3jeff

I love my Transpack, frees up your hands and you can also accidentally bang it into the people in the lodge that insist on standing in the middle of the walkways.

gmcunni

i really like the backpack style though the Dakine boot locker EOS posted is would be really nice for travel.

i like having my hands free to carry skis + poles and stuff i can't get my kids to carry. i tend to "get dressed" in the lodge so i want to be able to carry pants/helmet/googles/jacket + a few base layers in the bag in addition to the boots. a vast majority of my skiing is day trips and i can't stand wearing a lot of bulk when i'm driving.

Warp Daddy

I agree Transpack is my choice !! The Dakine looks pretty small for daytripping , which is also the bulk of my skiing . I too get dressed in the Lodge -- can't stand riding in bulking stuff either

SKIQUATTRO

i'm looking for a larger pack that i can strap the boots to the side but also use the pack for non-ski traveling/hiking....i have an ems 2500cu in pack that works well, holds a ton of gear, strap boots to sides, but showing its age and no outer smaller pockets....

bvibert

Staff member
This is the bag I use. But it's a little bit more than just a ski boot bag. There is a waterproof membrane between the boot compartment and the top one (where I stash clothes, gloves, hat, goggles, etc..).

though the Dakine boot locker EOS posted is would be really nice for travel.

I'm pretty sure our local TJMaxx had some of those boot locker bags for a good price the last time I was in there... Might be worth a look. ;) They also had Dakine Woman's Heli Pro packs if anyone were looking for one of those...

tjf67

I use an old old big giant hockey bag. I use it only for skiing. It fits everything in it. It ugly and looks like crap. Never been stolen and broken into.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I use an old old big giant hockey bag. I use it only for skiing. It fits everything in it. It ugly and looks like crap. Never been stolen and broken into.

I tried that, but I'm sold on the backpack method. I hate having so many things to handle. Keeping only my poles and skis in hand has worked well. I have the largest Transpac and I love it. I've used it for 4 airline trips so far and it has held up excellent. Had it for three years now.

I'd be hesitant about trying anything different because it works so well. I have stuff sacks that have some ski tuning gear and wax, another with a few spare base layer components and extra gloves, my helmet, electronics, ski pants, duct tape, bandages (don't ask), one-trillion hand/foot warmers for the kids and even some food.

I like the separate compartments for the boots because they are sometimes wet at days end and I hated seeing my other stuff get all wet. It also minimizes abrasion. It does not bother me that each boot is in a separate compartment.

The backpack straps tuck away into a zipper compartment when you are checking bags at the airport. That's great. It also has a couple of well-positioned handles that let me grab it at will. It also fits well into most ski cubbies at the lodge. I put my street shoes/boots into it after I change - keeps everything in one place. Hangs well from the hooks in the lodge up high.

The last thing I worry about is someone stealing my smelly stinky boots, helmets and pants. In fact, I've not heard of bags being stolen. It's the skis and poles that get stolen.

Only problem is if I fall, it is so heavy, I'll NEVER get back up! ;)

Last edited:

wa-loaf

I've got one of the type that is a backpack with attachments on the side to carry the boots externally. Worked great for flying, just popped the boots out to stow them overhead. Only drawback is if it's snowing then you need to stuff something in the boots to keep snow out when you walk to the lodge or wherever.

Sky

+a zillion on the transpack. I'm retiring the original (small) one this year. Already scored the new largest one.

I like the hockey bag idea for alternative layer stowage. I use a canvas bag I bought from Dick's for that. I think it was a parachute bag or something. I keep the extra/optional base layers in there and an additional jacket option. I don't always take this with me...and never into the lodge.

I also just bought a back pack for mid-day options (lose a layer). I'll see how this works out.

Glenn

Before Transpacks came out, I used a regular ol gear back that looked like a huge boxy duffle bag. It got heavy slinging that over my shoulder; especially back in the racing days. I over pack too. I like the transpack style bags...they're just easier, and I'm forced to pack less crap.

tjf67

I looked in my bag last night. I was amazed at the stuff that was in there. I found a cd player walkman, An old garmin GPS walkie Talkie, Binaculars with a camera built in. and lots of cords for thing I can not remember. Lots of Diamond stones that I swear i loose but they just dissapear in the bag. Lightened it up a couple of pounds. My only gripe is when I am walking with it it scapes againt my leg and hurts after a while.

wa-loaf

wa-loaf....what brand bag you have?? have a link for it?

It's not a transpack. They are made by a small company in Western MA. I've seen a bunch of racers with them. I'm in the Philipines right now, but I'll check the company when I get back this weekend.

wa-loaf

SKIQUATTRO

team pack just arrived (got the wife one for xmas as she's not a fan of her transpack) ....this is one sick bag, blows the doors off the transpack in so far as storage/design...i'm putting one on my list...hopefully santa will be good to me