• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Geek War!

Glenn

I finally had to chance to test one out a few weeks back. vcunning has one and we went back to his place after Oktoberfest @ Mt. Snow. It was a really cool device. I had a few beers in me, so I was laughing my arse of at the farting cat app. Although, I'd probably laugh my arese off even if I didn't have any beer in me...... :lol:

dmc

As always, Steve Jobs proves himself to be equal parts genius and a**hole.

I think thats what makes a successful corporate leader/visionary...

We could've inserted Bill Gates instead of Jobs into that statement a decade ago..

bvibert

Staff member
Evil might be a little too strong, but I don't agree with his business models or tactics. Nor do I like the Apple products that I've used, or the marketing/hype for that matter either. You can't deny that he's successful though.

mlctvt

Why is he evil?

Because when the Chinese workers who make 55 cents a hour producing Apple's products and asked for a 30% raise several months back Mr. Jobs went ballistic and forced the contractor to close the plant and move production to a lower cost section of China. The 30% difference would have allowed the Chinese workers to increase their standard of living to a somewhat acceptable level from the current slave conditions. Pure evil and nasty man.

This is just incredible when you consider that actual amount of labor in these products. It probably would have raised the price by $1.00 or less. But I guess that would have cut into the normal 10,000% Apple markup.

mondeo

Why is he evil?
Picture of Jobs, aged to 75:
monopoly.jpg

I'll praise Apple and deride their customers from the marketing aspect, but Jobs gets the evil stamp for denying anyone he doesn't like access to his platforms.

Plus I'm fairly sure a good chunk of his marketing acumen comes from a deal with his father, Lucifer.

dmc

Evil might be a little too strong, but I don't agree with his business models or tactics. Nor do I like the Apple products that I've used, or the marketing/hype for that matter either. You can't deny that he's successful though.

Other then the Chinese thing... What else?

The whole Flash thing? I'm a Flash developer... It sucks.. :)The new HTML is much a better option.

dmc

Because when the Chinese workers who make 55 cents a hour producing Apple's products and asked for a 30% raise several months back Mr. Jobs went ballistic and forced the contractor to close the plant and move production to a lower cost section of China. The 30% difference would have allowed the Chinese workers to increase their standard of living to a somewhat acceptable level from the current slave conditions. Pure evil and nasty man.

This is just incredible when you consider that actual amount of labor in these products. It probably would have raised the price by $1.00 or less. But I guess that would have cut into the normal 10,000% Apple markup.

Aren't Apple devices outsourced to a third party? Foxcon or something like that...

bvibert

Staff member
Other then the Chinese thing... What else?

The whole Flash thing? I'm a Flash developer... It sucks.. :)The new HTML is much a better option.

I didn't know there was going to be a test today, I'm unprepared.

I just don't like Apple, I like choices and more openness. Apple is too closed with too few choices (particularly in my price range) for me. The tactics that Jobs employed in the article linked to above is enough make me not want to buy another Apple product ever again. He comes off as a real douche bag, I don't like dealing with douche bags (not to say that the companies I already deal with aren't douche bags, but they don't make it as well known to me and I'm already dealing with them ;)).

Do I really need to go on?

dmc

I didn't know there was going to be a test today, I'm unprepared.

I just don't like Apple, I like choices and more openness. Apple is too closed with too few choices (particularly in my price range) for me. The tactics that Jobs employed in the article linked to above is enough make me not want to buy another Apple product ever again. He comes off as a real douche bag, I don't like dealing with douche bags (not to say that the companies I already deal with aren't douche bags, but they don't make it as well known to me and I'm already dealing with them ;)).

Do I really need to go on?

My bad - sorry to make you uncomfortable by asking for details.

You just seemed to have a strong opinion - i was curious where you were coming from..