• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

User Reputations II

Should we keep the User Reputations system?

• Yes

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 25 69.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kcyanks1

I voted no. I think the community here is great and Greg et al. do a remarkable job keeping the board on-topic, informative, and troll-free. While the fact that everyone is so welcoming may mitigating any intimidation factor, I still think it can be an issue. I think looking around at so many people with 1,000s of posts already can be a little intimidating, having people with huge reputation factors might add to that.

Also, for many of the topics here I don't necessarily think that reputation is particularly important. We talk a lot about ski conditions, opinions and preferences, and other topics that almost anyone is qualified to comment on. Of course, it's always fun to hear from the regulars, and while I'm a fairly new member, I can see that there is a sense of community, regulars meeting each other to ski ... and all of that is great. But in post cases I don't think that knowing that others approve of someone is necessary to grasping the value of one's post. For more technical discussions that require expertise I could see reputation being more important, because one would want to be assured that the poster has the appropriate qualifications, but such posts are probably not especially common here.

I should add though that if we do keep the reputation, I have no worries that it'll be misused -- essentially for some of the same reasons I don't think we need it in the first place. People here seem to be friendly and welcoming, so I wouldn't be concerned with reputation-cliques or anything of the sort.

Greg

Staff member
andyzee said:
Farts in church are what kept me awake :)
Confucius say, "Man who fart in church must sit in his own pew."

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I voted no. I didn't need some number on a computer screen to tell me how much credibility I should give to someone. I think, after reading and posting on this and/or any board ...you can pretty much tell who is in the know and who isn't just by their posts.

More importantly, I, too, must commend Greg on a job well done. IMHO, the cool thing is that he put this to a vote and let the community decide as a whole. Kudo's Greg

bvibert

Staff member
riverc0il said:
someone tell greg that Marc just hacked into his account ;) no one is quicker with a fart joke around here than Marc. :lol:
:lol: I thought something smelled funny about that post... ;)

Greg

Staff member
Clear winner here. The "No's" have it.