• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Zealand to Twinway, Pemigewasset Wilderness, NH 10/30-31/10

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Saturday and Sunday October 30-31

Zealand to Twinway

10 to 12 miles

Moderately difficult

Light snow all day mostly sticking on Twinway

Water proofed hiking boots and possibly gaiters probably needed as there was a fair amount of slush or snow on trail. Crampons were not necessary.

Stared approximately 10:30 am at the end parking lot on Zealand Road. Made it to Zealand Hut about noon dropped heavy packs, took light packs up to Twinway. Our objective was to make Zealnd Mountain and if we had time go on to Guyot before heading back to the hut.

When we got to the hut it was empty and the caretaker was out. While we were inspecting the bunk rooms a large group of about 18 men came in all at once filling the small hut. I have to admit I was a little spooked by this. With no room to really make lunch before hiking my buddy and I quickly claimed our bunks stuffed our lunches into our small packs and headed out. Unfortunately I forgot something important to our objective - that was my headlamp as we anticipated making it back after sunset. I got half way to Zeacliff before I realized my mistake. This shortened our hike time by about an hour. We turned back at 3:30 pm just short of Zealand Mountain. Sunday morning we hiked back to the car.

Photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabibob/sets/72157625284753906/

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
We were supposed to hike Hale on our way back but I'm not a very strong hiker and wasn't sure I could pull it off. Plus my buddy's knee was acting up but I think he's still mad at me for bagging it.