Season Snowfall Totals

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    WWF-VT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    MA & Fayston, VT
    Posts
    1,837

    Season Snowfall Totals

    Do resorts count their season snowfall totals for the period that they are open or do they start counting when the first flakes accumulate in October ?

    Killington Vermont - Snow Report
    Monday, November 01, 2010
    New Snow
    24 hrs: 0"
    48 hrs: 0"
    New Snow 7 days: 0"



    Base Depth
    Average Base Depth: 18" - 18"
    Total Season Snowfall: 16"

  2. #2
    October counts. See the snowfall total for Killington already this season at 16 inches:

    http://www.killington.com/winter/mountain/conditions

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    Do resorts count their season snowfall totals for the period that they are open or do they start counting when the first flakes accumulate in October
    Some do, some don't. There have been discussions about this in previous years but I cannot remember the outcome. I think -- someone, please correct me if I'm wrong -- that Jay and MRG do not, and Sugarbush does. Not sure about other places. Jay's change from counting to not counting was a couple years ago I think. The issue though I don't think is October, but whether the mountain is open. I can see both ways. If it snows 2 feet and that snow is on the ground when the mountain opens, I think it absolutely should count. But if there is a freak storm in mid-October and then the ground is completely bare before more snow/snowmaking begins, it isn't as definite, but the number is still meaningful as far as how much snow falls. In the end though, I guess what matters is knowing what each resort's number measures so you can compare them.
    -Kenny

  4. #4
    Snowfall totals should not be counted unless you are open. That's lame.
    New novel coming out in May... The Lighthouse Society

    2011-2012: 61 lift served days...

  5. #5
    mondeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    E. Hartford, CT
    Posts
    4,431
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    Snowfall totals should not be counted unless you are open. That's lame.
    So if you open for the season the day after a 3 foot storm, that doesn't count? But if you open, have a 3 foot storm, goes through a warm up where all is lost, that does?
    2009-2010:
    Killington: 11/7, 11/21, 12/5, 12/6, 12/10, 12/12, 12/13, 12/22, 12/23, 1/1, 1/2, 1/9, 1/10, 1/23, 1/24 (15)

    Ski Sundown: 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/24, 12/30, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, 1/11 - 1/22, 1/26-1/30 (27)
    EH XC: 12/21 (1)
    WNY XC/NELSAP BC: 12/29 (1)

    Total: 44

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Gloucester, ME
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by mondeo View Post
    So if you open for the season the day after a 3 foot storm, that doesn't count? But if you open, have a 3 foot storm, goes through a warm up where all is lost, that does?
    I agree with Jerry. My opinion on your questions...

    1. A gray area. I have no problem including it in theory, but it is much easier to have an up or down definition as to what to include, so I would say no. The fact is, this happens very rarely, but large October storms that melt weeks before opening dates are quite common.

    2. Of course. All snow melts at some point. It would be ridiculous not to count snow that actually fell while open, and even more ridiculous to start pro-rating snowfall amounts as they relate to totals based on how long it sticks around.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mondeo View Post
    So if you open for the season the day after a 3 foot storm, that doesn't count? But if you open, have a 3 foot storm, goes through a warm up where all is lost, that does?
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverskier View Post
    I agree with Jerry. My opinion on your questions...

    1. A gray area. I have no problem including it in theory, but it is much easier to have an up or down definition as to what to include, so I would say no. The fact is, this happens very rarely, but large October storms that melt weeks before opening dates are quite common.

    2. Of course. All snow melts at some point. It would be ridiculous not to count snow that actually fell while open, and even more ridiculous to start pro-rating snowfall amounts as they relate to totals based on how long it sticks around.
    I would think that you could rightly defer to how the national weather service does things, where the seasonal snowfall total is just that, how much snow falls during the whole season. If some early season snow falls and then melts before it can be turned on, it still fell, and would be counted by the weather service, so it's all good in my book
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season; 60 days '07-'14 seasons: 353 Days

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Gloucester, ME
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I would think that you could rightly defer to how the national weather service does things, where the seasonal snowfall total is just that, how much snow falls during the whole season. If some early season snow falls and then melts before it can be turned on, it still fell, and would be counted by the weather service, so it's all good in my book
    I honestly couldn't care less how they count snowfall, and either method is valid. Clearly a discussion where there is no right or wrong. However, I think the amount of snow that fell/falls while the mountain is actually open is a much more useful statistic for skiers. Perhaps not so much for marketing departments though.

  9. #9
    A simple weather service total for the whole year is fine with me. Excluding the 18-inch dump the day before they open is just as “deceptive” as counting the 18-inch dump at the start of the season that quickly melts away.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by mondeo View Post
    So if you open for the season the day after a 3 foot storm, that doesn't count? But if you open, have a 3 foot storm, goes through a warm up where all is lost, that does?
    I think both of these are OK, but getting 18 inches of snow and then opening two weeks later is different. Much of those 18 inches (Yikes! Did that come out right?) has melted except for at the summit and when it fell. K clearly wasn't opening.

    I agree that there is no true right ot wrong, but I think it's lame. I think it's good PR, but some good PR is lame, IMHO.

    I'm not taking anything away from K getting open and rockin' some good looking conditions, I just disagree that they've had that snowfall this season.
    New novel coming out in May... The Lighthouse Society

    2011-2012: 61 lift served days...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:23 AM.