• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Snowfall Totals

WWF-VT

Do resorts count their season snowfall totals for the period that they are open or do they start counting when the first flakes accumulate in October ?

Killington Vermont - Snow Report
Monday, November 01, 2010
New Snow
24 hrs: 0"
48 hrs: 0"
New Snow 7 days: 0"

Base Depth
Average Base Depth: 18" - 18"
Total Season Snowfall: 16"

kcyanks1

Do resorts count their season snowfall totals for the period that they are open or do they start counting when the first flakes accumulate in October

Some do, some don't. There have been discussions about this in previous years but I cannot remember the outcome. I think -- someone, please correct me if I'm wrong -- that Jay and MRG do not, and Sugarbush does. Not sure about other places. Jay's change from counting to not counting was a couple years ago I think. The issue though I don't think is October, but whether the mountain is open. I can see both ways. If it snows 2 feet and that snow is on the ground when the mountain opens, I think it absolutely should count. But if there is a freak storm in mid-October and then the ground is completely bare before more snow/snowmaking begins, it isn't as definite, but the number is still meaningful as far as how much snow falls. In the end though, I guess what matters is knowing what each resort's number measures so you can compare them.

jerryg

Snowfall totals should not be counted unless you are open. That's lame.

mondeo

Snowfall totals should not be counted unless you are open. That's lame.
So if you open for the season the day after a 3 foot storm, that doesn't count? But if you open, have a 3 foot storm, goes through a warm up where all is lost, that does?

Riverskier

So if you open for the season the day after a 3 foot storm, that doesn't count? But if you open, have a 3 foot storm, goes through a warm up where all is lost, that does?

I agree with Jerry. My opinion on your questions...

1. A gray area. I have no problem including it in theory, but it is much easier to have an up or down definition as to what to include, so I would say no. The fact is, this happens very rarely, but large October storms that melt weeks before opening dates are quite common.

2. Of course. All snow melts at some point. It would be ridiculous not to count snow that actually fell while open, and even more ridiculous to start pro-rating snowfall amounts as they relate to totals based on how long it sticks around.

drjeff

I agree with Jerry. My opinion on your questions...

1. A gray area. I have no problem including it in theory, but it is much easier to have an up or down definition as to what to include, so I would say no. The fact is, this happens very rarely, but large October storms that melt weeks before opening dates are quite common.

2. Of course. All snow melts at some point. It would be ridiculous not to count snow that actually fell while open, and even more ridiculous to start pro-rating snowfall amounts as they relate to totals based on how long it sticks around.

I would think that you could rightly defer to how the national weather service does things, where the seasonal snowfall total is just that, how much snow falls during the whole season. If some early season snow falls and then melts before it can be turned on, it still fell, and would be counted by the weather service, so it's all good in my book

Riverskier

I would think that you could rightly defer to how the national weather service does things, where the seasonal snowfall total is just that, how much snow falls during the whole season. If some early season snow falls and then melts before it can be turned on, it still fell, and would be counted by the weather service, so it's all good in my book

I honestly couldn't care less how they count snowfall, and either method is valid. Clearly a discussion where there is no right or wrong. However, I think the amount of snow that fell/falls while the mountain is actually open is a much more useful statistic for skiers. Perhaps not so much for marketing departments though. :cool:

oakapple

A simple weather service total for the whole year is fine with me. Excluding the 18-inch dump the day before they open is just as “deceptive” as counting the 18-inch dump at the start of the season that quickly melts away.

jerryg

I think both of these are OK, but getting 18 inches of snow and then opening two weeks later is different. Much of those 18 inches (Yikes! Did that come out right?) has melted except for at the summit and when it fell. K clearly wasn't opening.

I agree that there is no true right ot wrong, but I think it's lame. I think it's good PR, but some good PR is lame, IMHO.

I'm not taking anything away from K getting open and rockin' some good looking conditions, I just disagree that they've had that snowfall this season.

mondeo

I think both of these are OK, but getting 18 inches of snow and then opening two weeks later is different. Much of those 18 inches (Yikes! Did that come out right?) has melted except for at the summit and when it fell. K clearly wasn't opening.

I agree that there is no true right ot wrong, but I think it's lame. I think it's good PR, but some good PR is lame, IMHO.

I'm not taking anything away from K getting open and rockin' some good looking conditions, I just disagree that they've had that snowfall this season.
Some of the combined natural + artificial was still around when they restarted making snow last week. Not much, but some. Without the natural, there wouldn't have been anything.

Ideally, they'd count the snowfall that stuck around to serve as a base, and only that, but it's hard to quantify. So you have the other two options, neither of which is accurately captures the impact of early season snowfall.

jerryg

I bet JH won't count the 4 feet they as part of their season total.

kcyanks1

I bet JH won't count the 4 feet they as part of their season total.

They are counting it so far. So unless they reset, then they will count it. And they don't open for a long time. Though I don't know what the weather does there this time of year; maybe it'll stick. They are claiming a 39" base (summit) with only 49" of snow. Just with settling the base will likely decrease a good amount,