• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowplows in Vermont

UVSHTSTRM

My ole man works for a power company in Maine and one of his co-workers was having issues with the plow guy taking out his mail box. Finally he had had enough and used one of the companys pole digger trucks and placed a 10 foot telephone pole 6.5 feet below the surface. Needless to say, his mailbox has never been found in a snowbank again.

noski

Do other carriers provide service in the valley? Rhetoric<If so, I wonder what their rationale was?>

ATT has service, but that is because they obtained VT in the Unicel buy out. I think Verizon got Maine, and ATT got VT.
...and my mailbox is in a galvanized garbage can. I just pick it up when it gets knocked down. Classy.

deadheadskier

Staff member
ATT has service, but that is because they obtained VT in the Unicel buy out. I think Verizon got Maine, and ATT got VT.
...and my mailbox is in a galvanized garbage can. I just pick it up when it gets knocked down. Classy.

I actually get decent Verizon service in most of the state, except the MRV

dmc

All the more reason to ski the MRV. Who wants to be reachable by phone when you're skiing?

Lots of people enjoy being connected.. I do.. It frees me up so I can ski on days when i still have a few things cooking at work.. As i said - I get a ton of days that way.. Not going to let an hour conference call take me out of a ski day..

deadheadskier

Staff member
All the more reason to ski the MRV. Who wants to be reachable by phone when you're skiing?

who said anything about 'want'.

Of course I don't 'want' to be reachable by phone when I'm skiing, but it's just the reality of my work and that of numerous others. I can guarantee you that the MRV loses business by not having cell service.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Lots of people enjoy being connected.. I do.. It frees me up so I can ski on days when i still have a few things cooking at work.. As i said - I get a ton of days that way.. Not going to let an hour conference call take me out of a ski day..
+1

nelsapbm

Billski..funny you started this thread....the town plow took out our mailbox this morning. It's pretty far off the road so I don't know how the heck they managed to do it!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Billski..funny you started this thread....the town plow took out our mailbox this morning. It's pretty far off the road so I don't know how the heck they managed to do it!

They're working pretty hard on it. Didn't you see the memo? Extra vacation day for every ten boxes. Double credit for an oversize box!

The mailbox hit isn't so bad, it's when they ruin the post midwinter.

I solved the problem at my house. I put mine on a junky 1" steel tube post that rotates. They hit the box, and it just spins around. Looks like hell, but haven't lost a box yet.

hammer

They're working pretty hard on it. Didn't you see the memo? Extra vacation day for every ten boxes. Double credit for an oversize box!

The mailbox hit isn't so bad, it's when they ruin the post midwinter.

I solved the problem at my house. I put mine on a junky 1" steel tube post that rotates. They hit the box, and it just spins around. Looks like hell, but haven't lost a box yet.
I have a number of neighbors who have had granite mailbox posts put in. Will be interesting to see if the plows try to take any of those out.

I had my plastic post taken out last year. I called the town to complain, and they came out the next day, put in a wood post and attached the mailbox. Doesn't look as nice but it's more sturdy.

deadheadskier

Staff member
the reality is the USPS just needs to deal with mail boxes being placed further back from the road.

if it weren't for the plows, they wouldn't be delivering mail anyways

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Normally I leave my phone turned off in my ski bag. BUT I have tried to call friends at the Basebox so we could hook up and I could not get service. That was disappointing. Or if I had auto trouble and couldn't start my car at MRG, I would want to call home and let someone know...

I am actually surprised that as an inn keeper, you would not understand why your guests would want to stay connected during a ski vacation. I don't speak from experience, I turn off my phone if I am not trying to hook up with friends. But a lot of people have jobs that require them to stay connected even during vacations. My boss is in FL but she still does emails once a day even during her vacation. Its not for me, but it could definitely be a factor in a lot of people's vacation planning.

tjf67

the reality is the USPS just needs to deal with mail boxes being placed further back from the road.

if it weren't for the plows, they wouldn't be delivering mail anyways

In all the home I have lived in it was up to thw owner to shovel out the mailbox. If we don't we get not mail. Those snow plowers are alright in my book.

Hawkshot99

My mailbox is at the front door. The mailman walks the neighborhood. Most mailmen hate the route because the houses are not very close together, so they walk alot!

deadheadskier

Staff member
In all the home I have lived in it was up to thw owner to shovel out the mailbox. If we don't we get not mail. Those snow plowers are alright in my book.

I agree, a homeowner should have to shovel out their mail box.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Reflectors seem to help too. When plowing at night it is harder to see your mailbox (falling snow makes it even harder yet). I have a reflector on the side of my post that I make sure to clean off every evening when I pick up the mail. My mailbox is still standing (knock on wood).