Random Beers - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 181 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Beers

Bear + Deer = Beer

(BTW AVBC makes some fine brews as well. Bahl hornin')

The TV show Beer Nutz just did a show in Burlington. I really got to get up there for a pub crawl one of these days.
    ~Rich~

Second batch will be ready for consumption on Monday. W00t.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Second batch will be ready for consumption on Monday. W00t.

Marc...let's assume I'll enjoy homebrewing and I wouldn't want to buy a cheapo starter kit. What are the costs involved in getting started? Any suggestions for retailers online?
    ~Rich~

Mmm... I bought my kit at my local home brew shop after I realized they sold the nicer kit, which included both a PE bucket and glass carboy fermenter, for as much as the cheapest place online, less the shipping cost which was gonna be like $30-$40.

Try www.homebrewmart.com

In all, for the first batch, I spent about $150.... $100 for the brew kit, $20 on 22 oz bottles and $30 on the ingredient kit. Anything under $200 for all that stuff and I'd say you're doin alright.

Yeah, $150 all in ought to get you started well. Don't skimp on things like the capper and bottle brushes and fill tubes, though- nicer ones make your life a lot easier and your experience a lot better. Good cappers are also easier to use, even after 1/2 your previous batch.

Thanks Marc. What's the benefit of the 22 oz bottles? Couldn't I just use empty 12 oz?
    ~Rich~

Quote Originally Posted by BeanoNYC View Post
    Thanks Marc. What's the benefit of the 22 oz bottles? Couldn't I just use empty 12 oz?
    Yeah, you can use any size bottle you want that you can cap. A couple things to consider-

1) I'd only reuse old bottles that you are sure are very well cleaned and free of any solid particulates, as sanitizing only kills bacteria, it doesn't disolve solids or do any heavy cleaning.

2) I went with 22 oz'ers on recommendation from someone I work with and I'm glad I did. As soon as you start bottling you may realize as I did, it's probably the least enjoyable part of the whole experience, so doulbe the bottle size (nearly) = half the bottling and capping to do.

I think probably for subsequent batches, I'll probably bottle 3/4 of the batch in 22 oz bottles and the rest in 12 oz so when I want a bottle with dinner, I don't have to drink 22 oz, but the big bottles are no big deal when you're sharing with other people.

Enjoy and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by BeanoNYC View Post
    Couldn't I just use empty 12 oz?
    That's what I used to do. Here's a hint: A solution of ammonia and water works great to get the labels and glue off. Rinse well before sterilizing with a bleach/water solution though. Ammonia + beach = bad.
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    That's what I used to do. Here's a hint: A solution of ammonia and water works great to get the labels and glue off. Rinse well before sterilizing with a bleach/water solution though. Ammonia + beach = bad.
    Whaddya mean? Everyone likes playing with the yellow gas. It's good for you.

Thread Information