• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Sample a Shipyard "Barley Wine Style Ale" the other day. It was part of one of their special big bottle series. Absolute shit! I find Shipyard is hit or miss and this was definitely a miss. It tasted SO good up front but kicked me in the Jimmy on the back end and after taste. Wicked dry and hoppy with a wallop of an after taste. I didn't even finish my pint glass, let alone the rest of the bottle. Horrid waste of $9.

On the plus side, a case of random Flying Dog showed up on my doorstep this weekend courtesy of my brother. I have sampled many of their bigger beers but not yet their more traditional Pale Ale. VERY nice Pale Ale offering from flying dog. Somewhat dry yet very tasty. Better than Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. A good ale to fall back on when I am not quite man enough for the Barley Wine or Double IPA from Flying Dog. :D

frozencorn

I've got a Trader Joe's vintage '08 awaiting me in the fridge.....perhaps that's this evening's adventure. Sold by TJs at $5 a pop, brewed by Unibroue, which would go for around $9 normall. Score!

Sky

Sorry for being too lazy to read the entire 12+pages of this thread....but has anyone else tried Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale?

Egad....it's fabulous! I was hesitant at forst. I'm usually not a fan of the winter brews...cranberry etc is not a beer flavor. :< But SN's Celebration is just a beefier SN Pale Ale. Yummy...and sad when it's unavailable.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Kerberos Tripel from Flying Dog was had two nights ago... FTW! An 8.5% beer that even S can enjoy. The only other beer that strong that she has enjoyed is the Double Bag. I am not a huge fan of this style beer but have a huge appreciation for how this beer came out. Flying Dog is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries.

roark

Stone Smoked Porter with dinner last night. I know Steve has been mostly underwhelmed by Stone but for me they seem to do no wrong. Less aggressive than most Stone offerings (and only 5.9%), just a hint of smoke in the background of a very solid porter. If I were a rich man this could easily become a daily drinker dark beer for me.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Stone Smoked Porter with dinner last night. I know Steve has been mostly underwhelmed by Stone but for me they seem to do no wrong. Less aggressive than most Stone offerings (and only 5.9%), just a hint of smoke in the background of a very solid porter. If I were a rich man this could easily become a daily drinker dark beer for me.
Yea, I don't know what it is about Stone but I still haven't found anything that I like of their offerings. This seems typical for my brewery preferences as I tend to have breweries that I don't like much of anything (Magic Hat and Long Trail come to mind, though Double Dag rules) and then there are breweries that even types of beers I normally don't drink are sensational and I enjoy their entire product line (Harpoon, Flying Dog, Dogfish Head).

For tonight's offering, I sampled up a bottle of the Imperial Porter from Flying Dog. S and I both didn't quite know what to make of this beer. At a hearty 8.5%, it does kick you in the pants drinking on an empty stomach :wink:

Normally, I don't care much for porters, but this was definitely drinkable and grew on me, especially once the glass was half empty. :D Probably the weakest of the Canis Major offerings but respectable. Not bad considering I normally don't care much for porters.

Geoff

I tried some of the new coffee stout at the Long Trail Brewery yesterday. The brewmaster told me it's 8% alcohol and 3 pounds of coffee per batch. They only sell it in 22 oz bottles. A very pricy $6.00 each at the brewery and pints of coffee stout cost an extra buck.

They're also about to brew another batch of Triple Bag. That stuff is real rocket fuel.

I tried some of the new coffee stout at the Long Trail Brewery yesterday. The brewmaster told me it's 8% alcohol and 3 pounds of coffee per batch. They only sell it in 22 oz bottles. A very pricy $6.00 each at the brewery and pints of coffee stout cost an extra buck.

They're also about to brew another batch of Triple Bag. That stuff is real rocket fuel.

Is there alot of caffeine in that???

ctenidae

Is there alot of caffeine in that???

Not sure on any one particular beer, but a lot of the coffee stouts do contain as much caffeine as a cup of coffee. Your mileage may vary. I would think that, as a rule, the more "extreme beer" oriented the brew, the more likely it contains caffeine. There are caffinated beers available, too, but considering the target audience, I'm going to guess they taste like morning-after ass.

roark

Is that bottled or at the brewery only? I have never seen it but the Double is one of my go to session beers.

BA reviews mentions it bottled with an upside Hit the Trail label. Most reviews are tap.

I somehow manage to miss the special LT offerings whenever I stop in. Will be sure to take the long road home next time I'm at K. I've never seen anything but the standard fare (as shown on the website) in stores.

Geoff

BA reviews mentions it bottled with an upside Hit the Trail label. Most reviews are tap.

I somehow manage to miss the special LT offerings whenever I stop in. Will be sure to take the long road home next time I'm at K. I've never seen anything but the standard fare (as shown on the website) in stores.

This batch of Coffee Stout is only being sold in 22 oz bottles with a special label that doesn't have any of the Long Trail graphics on it.