• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

jaywbigred

Picked up a bottle of this on Saturday - haven't gotten around to uncorking it yet. Review coming in the next few days. I'm quite curious about what type of experience it will be :)

Sam-Adams-Infinium.png

How have I missed this thread in the past? I am going to start posting here since I like to try a lot of different beers, and this seems as good as any a way to log them, and at the same time learn what to try next.

We had the Infinium a couple weeks ago and were underwhelmed. I found it way too citrusy and thought it was a rip off for what I paid. Too bad, the packaging was cool.

Had Flying Fish Exit 6 Wallonian Rye "Belgian Style Ale with New Jersey Rye" a couple weeks ago and immediately put in an order for another half case from my beer guy.

Had a Weyerbacher Old Heathen Imperial Stout and was not into it, but that has more to do w my personal preference (I like my stouts Irish or not at all, although I have been known to drink an oatmeal now and then, esp. if you mix it with some lambic or a fruity wheat beer).

Someone brought us a 6 pack of Redhook Long Hammer IPA. Normally I wouldn't buy a Redhook product because of Budweiser's partial equity stake, but this was a decent drinking IPA that we all enjoyed.

I had a Porkslap Pale Ale on draft for the first time recently. I've had it from a can many times, but this was a first for me and I would say I probably prefer the novelty of the can. It tasted less poignant and I didn't find the color all too appealing in the pint glass (though I admittedly was in a pretty dark bar at the time).

Split a gifted Unibroue Blanche de Chambly with some friends and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't buy it on my own. A little too citrusy for me again.

Troegs is one of my very favorite breweries and I often have the Hopback in my house. I've also enjoyed the Pale Ale and the Nugget Nectar, when available, though I was not a fan of the Sunshine Pils or the Mad Elf, if I recall correctly. In any event, for some reason, I had never tried their Dreamweaver Unfiltered Wheat beer, so I picked up a 6 pack and found it quite pleasant, if not earth shattering. I may stock it in my house as an alternative for folks that like Blue Moon, as I refuse to support Blue Moon as a Coors product.

Also picked up a six of Stoudt's Double IPA on recommendation from a friend that it was a nice approximation of a retired Ithaca Double IPA I used to love. It was very good, but not quite as good as the Ithaca, in my memory.

Otherwise, I've been stocking/drinking old stand-bys like the aforementioned Hopback, Victory Golden Monkey, Ithaca Ground Break, Victory Prima Pils, and Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot (when I'm feeling aggressive). I have some mixture of the the rest of the Dreamweaver, the Stoudt's Double IPA, and a 6 pack of Ithaca Cascazilla on the docket for Tuesday night's OSU basketball game and for this coming weekend, and a couple Chimays (one blue one red) in the back of my fridge for when the mood strikes me.

jaywbigred

During the OSU destruction of Purdue, I enjoyed a couple Cascazillas. Great beer. Lots of different flavors, and none of them in your face. A great example of American craft brewing, imo.

Also had a Sam's Winter. Yuck! Won't make that mistake again.

roark

Still not New England :sad:

On a different note, hit The Alchemist last weekend, what great beer - the Pappys Secret Stash was amazing, anyone going to Vermont soon should try to get some.

I hear they'll be canning some soon, about time. The alchemist is the first, and only, brewery in New England to make me not miss Norcal and PNW beers terribly.

jaywbigred

I hear they'll be canning some soon, about time. The alchemist is the first, and only, brewery in New England to make me not miss Norcal and PNW beers terribly.

Yeah, I've been waiting for a New England Brewery to step up and show me something for awhile now. There was a time in the late 90s, early 2000s when Sam A was leading the charge and Magic Hat, Harpoon and Long Trail were right behind, that I thought NE was a beer mecca. Now, though I like a few beers here or there (Long Trail Double Bag, BBC Steel Rail, and Allagash White come to mind), I am definitely a bigger fan of NY (Ithaca, Southern Tier, Ommegang, Six Point, Butternuts) and PA (Troegs, Weyerbacher, Victory, Stoudt's, even Sly Fox) beers at this point.

Black Phantom

Yeah, I've been waiting for a New England Brewery to step up and show me something for awhile now. There was a time in the late 90s, early 2000s when Sam A was leading the charge and Magic Hat, Harpoon and Long Trail were right behind, that I thought NE was a beer mecca. Now, though I like a few beers here or there (Long Trail Double Bag, BBC Steel Rail, and Allagash White come to mind), I am definitely a bigger fan of NY (Ithaca, Southern Tier, Ommegang, Six Point, Butternuts) and PA (Troegs, Weyerbacher, Victory, Stoudt's, even Sly Fox) beers at this point.

A local gin mill that I frequent just started serving this:
troegs-beer-pale-ale.jpg

Nice addition to the menu.

Tried a S A Winter and I thought I was going to get sick.

gorgonzola

wow no SA winter love? I had a weyerbacher winter up at blue the other night and it tasted like a bigger sam winter. they also had $4 bitburgers which i enjoyed thuroughly, fresh and bright

Geoff

Coffee Stout was on tap at the Long Trail Brewery on Sunday night. I picked up a half-dozen 22 oz bottles. Triple Bag is on tap but no bottles yet. They also still have Imperial Porter on tap.

In my exile in south Jersey as cubicle-dwelling corporate drone, the local Pizzaria Uno's has River Horse Belgian Freeze on tap for $4.00 until 7pm.

jaywbigred

Troges nugget nectar is coming out soon ....grab it while it last.

Already pre-ordered a case from my beer guy!

Also, had an Otter Creek Alpine Black IPA draft on Friday night. It was interesting. Quite good, like a solid IPA at the beginning, but then a finish with a hint of stout taste. I don't know that I'd run out and buy it for my fridge, but I still enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the second beer I was hoping to try, from Von Trapp Brewery in Stowe (Amber Ale I believe), kicked before I could get the bartender's attention (spraying my buddy with a lot of foam in the process). Anyone had any Trapp Family beers before?

jaywbigred

yeah, thats a good one also. they make nice products.

Got a 6 pack for free for my bday yesterday from my beer guy! My case is also in when I'm ready to go pick it up and pay.

Also tried a new-to-me beer last night: Terrapin Hop Karma Brown IPA, which is a mixture of styles between a brown ale and an IPA. Didn't care for it. To my taste buds, it was 85% a brown ale and just a hint of IPA-ness. I was hoping for something hoppier and less malty.

roark

Southern Tier 2x IPA tonight. Pretty good, nice citrus and pine hop aroma & flavor but a strangeness to the malt I'm not crazy about... almost corn like. Finish is actually pretty balanced between hops and malt... slightly sweet. Drinks 'small' for an 8% DIPA.