• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

jaywbigred

SHIPYARD barley wine style ale. never had the style before. like. any suggestions?

Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot is a barley wine I love.

Had a Harpoon IPA draft for the first time in a long time this weekend and enjoyed it.

Also had Yards Brewing Thomas Jefferson Tavern Ale which Yards claims is made from a recipe Jefferson had his wife use twice a year to brew beer. It was pretty generic tasting, but did pack a nice 8% punch into that taste. Not bad.

Also had our local brew pub's take on a Belgian Tripel. I liked my first 3 sips, but as it opened, it started to taste too much like artificially flavored bananas. I have this same issue with Long Trail Heffe, I wonder what ingredient sets it off?

drjeff

Southern Tier Imperial Creme Brulee Stout

southern_tier_creme_brulee_stout.jpg

Maybe it was the context in which I was drinking this: end of the work week, just made the relatively heavy traffic Friday of President's weekend drive upto VT, I hadn't had dinner yet (but was looking at some fresh out of the oven Chocolate Chip Cookies that had me thinking dessert :rolleyes: :lol: ), but this brew really worked for me! (and I gotta thank mountsnowfish for making a not so subtle facebook suggestion of this brew a few weeks ago :lol: )

I'm usually not a big fan of either sweet or syrupy beers, but for this one I will make an exception. The pour gave a nice thick, creamy head ontop of an almost black colored brew. The aroma (atleast for my nose) had strong vanilla and a slightly more subtle coffee undertones. The consistency was a bit on the syrupy side, not quite as thick, but similar to Hershey Chocolate syrup. Taste wise, my taste buds didn't have much of a problem with the creme brulee name. It had that vanilla/coffee/carmel flavor, with a mild hoppy finish. A dessert in a glass, and at 10.0% ABV, the bomber bottle I had of it likely packed about as many calories as many a dessert! I liked it enough that I went back a couple of days later to the store where I bought it and bought 3 more bottles :)

This beer won't be for everyone (hoppy IPA lovers need not apply), but for a change of pace, when you're craving some dessert in a glass, this is a worthy brew IMHO

powpig2002

rogue maierfest lager. sign said $1.99. woman said only special marked bottles. $6.09. took it anyway. worth $1.99. don't think $6.09. had a gritty's Abrams at abrams. goddamn good beer. cream ale? serving wench said only available at mt. highly recommended

powpig2002

Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot is a barley wine I love.

Had a Harpoon IPA draft for the first time in a long time this weekend and enjoyed it.

Also had Yards Brewing Thomas Jefferson Tavern Ale which Yards claims is made from a recipe Jefferson had his wife use twice a year to brew beer. It was pretty generic tasting, but did pack a nice 8% punch into that taste. Not bad.

Also had our local brew pub's take on a Belgian Tripel. I liked my first 3 sips, but as it opened, it started to taste too much like artificially flavored bananas. I have this same issue with Long Trail Heffe, I wonder what ingredient sets it off?

found 3 bottles of blithering idiot today. i'm took your word and it had better be good. gotta wait til the weekend tho.

powpig2002

liking the barley wine. blithering idiot - good stuff. have a 22oz heavy seas below deck for tonight. even bad is drinkable

jaywbigred

Had a Stone IPA draft at the Valley View Saloon near Mt. Snow. Long time since I've had it, even longer since draft...still a delicious beer.

My buddy/beer guy has been pushing an Oregon brewery called Full Sail lately. He brought a 12 of their apparently famous "Session Lager", a six of their LTD 04 Limited Edition lager, and a 22 oz. bottle of their Bump in the Night Cascadian Brown Ale.

The Session Lager was decent, very drinkable, though I would probably not spend microbrew dollars on this, or most other lagers, very often.

The LTD 04 was marketed as the "single malt of beers." I dunno if I would go that far. It tasted not that different than their Session lager, imo, just a little more balanced and with more ABV.

The Bump in the Night was very interesting. I am not sure I would run out and buy some, but it was very complex. Personally, I find beers with signature/different yeasts to be the most complex and interesting, but BitN did it without much yeast flavor. It is dark and smells malty to me. It certainly tastes like a malty ale at first. But somehow they manage to throw on to the back end an IPA flavor that is great and suprising. I think it has 60+ IBUs, and the Cascade flavor is there. Kind of a fun beer to try to dissect.

Troegs Nugget Nectar continues to be a hit with everyone who tries it, though I am trying to slow down how quickly my stock is going!

jaywbigred

Had a Stone IPA draft at the Valley View Saloon near Mt. Snow. Long time since I've had it, even longer since draft...still a delicious beer.

My buddy/beer guy has been pushing an Oregon brewery called Full Sail lately. He brought a 12 of their apparently famous "Session Lager", a six of their LTD 04 Limited Edition lager, and a 22 oz. bottle of their Bump in the Night Cascadian Brown Ale.

The Session Lager was decent, very drinkable, though I would probably not spend microbrew dollars on this, or most other lagers, very often.

The LTD 04 was marketed as the "single malt of beers." I dunno if I would go that far. It tasted not that different than their Session lager, imo, just a little more balanced and with more ABV.

The Bump in the Night was very interesting. I am not sure I would run out and buy some, but it was very complex. Personally, I find beers with signature/different yeasts to be the most complex and interesting, but BitN did it without much yeast flavor. It is dark and smells malty to me. It certainly tastes like a malty ale at first. But somehow they manage to throw on to the back end an IPA flavor that is great and suprising. I think it has 60+ IBUs, and the Cascade flavor is there. Kind of a fun beer to try to dissect.

Troegs Nugget Nectar continues to be a hit with everyone who tries it, though I am trying to slow down how quickly my stock is going!

powpig2002

heavy seas loose cannon hop 3 ipa - very good. didn't know i liked hoppy beer. so what is it about arrogant bastid i find too strong? still learning about GOOD beer

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I had some Guinness. Not my 1st choice, but I was using it in a recipe for my blog and there was some left. I made an Irish car bomb with it. Purely for the spirit of the blog post, nothing more. ;)