Random Beers - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 181 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Beers

Two new ones, one Russian, one Polish:

Moskovyan- Proof the Russians should stick to vodka. Very yeasty and bready, the head is thick and unnatural looking, not a very good beer. Pretty bad, really. Mercifully, the bottle is only 11 ounces, so it's over quickly.

Harnas- "Of the Polish Highlands" Who knew Poland had "highlands"? Nice Polish type beer. Medium brown color, thin, lacy head, solidly hopped but not overpowering. Definately a drinking beer. They're only 6% ABV, too, so by Polish standards you could drink a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae

Moskovyan- Proof the Russians should stick to vodka. Very yeasty and bready, the head is thick and unnatural looking, not a very good beer. Pretty bad, really. Mercifully, the bottle is only 11 ounces, so it's over quickly.

Harnas- "Of the Polish Highlands" Who knew Poland had "highlands"? Nice Polish type beer. Medium brown color, thin, lacy head, solidly hopped but not overpowering. Definately a drinking beer. They're only 6% ABV, too, so by Polish standards you could drink a lot of them.
    CT- maybe the beer was stored poorly? Not that I would have high expectations for a Russian beer...

It wasn't skunky, so I don't think it was a storage issue. I've had one other Russian beer that wasn't much good either. Though, it was in green glass, and that's never a good sign...

It wasn't skunky, so I don't think it was a storage issue. I've had one other Russian beer that wasn't much good either. Though, it was in green glass, and that's never a good sign...
    Yeah Green Bottles = badness....same for clear...bad news...

Brown bottles are the only way to go..I also like the idea that Sam Adams uses with the taller 6 pack carriers. There is speculation that even the lights in the coolers at the beer store have the possibility of "skunking" beer. Mostly ultra violet light is the culprit. I never let it sit long enough to get effected by light

It is light not temp changes that ruins good beer though...

M

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDog
    Yeah Green Bottles = badness....same for clear...bad news...

Brown bottles are the only way to go..I also like the idea that Sam Adams uses with the taller 6 pack carriers. There is speculation that even the lights in the coolers at the beer store have the possibility of "skunking" beer. Mostly ultra violet light is the culprit. I never let it sit long enough to get effected by light

It is light not temp changes that ruins good beer though...

M
    Yup, I wish Sam Smith & Newcastle would ditch their marketing schemes and get some real bottles!

Isn't there a Russian Imperial Stout that is rate very highly on BA? Maybe it's not made by a Russian brewer.

I had a stout by a micro brewery out in Holyoke, the last of a six pack, and it was very good. I'll have to go back and look on the label for the name, but I'd def. recommend it.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Isn't there a Russian Imperial Stout that is rate very highly on BA? Maybe it's not made by a Russian brewer.

Here's the top Russian Imperials, according to BA: http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers?style=84

None are made by Russian brewers.

Here's the top Russian Imperials, according to BA: http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers?style=84

None are made by Russian brewers.
    Go figure.

Well, I don't blame them too much. They're all too drunk off the vodka to brew a good batch of beer.

I hope that wasn't xenophobic is some way but I have a feeling it was.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Actually, according to Michael Jackson (Real Beer, not Real Queer (sorry, couldn't help it)), and BA (BeerAdvocate, not Baraccus), the Russians still drink kvass, which may be an example of the earliest form of beer. However, from the descriptions I've read of it, there's probably a good reason why the rest of the beer drinking world moved on to better beers.

...what do you guys know about getting some mead?
    ~Rich~

Thread Information