• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

drjeff

Just discovered this thread....

Beers I have no use for:
Saranac. Just poor beer.
Sam Adams. Why bother, so much better stuff out there.
Magic Hat. There. I said it. Sure, #9 is OK, and their IPA tour was average good, but there's just too many disappointments. The last time I raved over a MH beer was 6 years ago.
Lefty's. I've tried 4 of their styles, and was disappointed each time. Apparently some of you like it, but.... meh. Not to be confused with Left Hand Brewing.

If your store only carries IPAs, or if your store only has one door of craft beer, then you're in the wrong store...

Hippie Chick, I feel your pain. Amber is an undersold style. Harder to find. Try finding Naughty Nurse (City Steam, just a a little spicy) Anderson Valley Amber, Full Sail Amber. Also look for toasted lagers.

Mini trends that are over rated:
Pumpkin ales. How many versions of a lame idea do we need?
IPL, or Indial Pale Lager. Like IPA, but... lighter. OK, the first one was cute, but who needs a light IPA? About as useful as a shallow powder day. Sure, I'll ski it, but why not go deeper???
Black IPA, Black lager. Thankfully in retreat. OK as a variation, but enough already.

On to the good stuff.

Previously mentioned:
Jack's Abby. Invented the IPL. Lots of hoppy IPA, highly hopped IPA, and rip your socks off IPA. Still, they have yet to really wow me.
Lawson's Sip O Sunshine. I like this more the more I drink it. Not as heavy, not as bitter on the finish, and more tangerine blossom. The last one I had was 2.5 months old, so maybe it ages well.
Heady Topper. Still outrageously good. Luckily there are lots of close competitors now. But nothing else has the juicy creamy blast of goodness that Heady delivers.
Second Fiddle. Yummy. Having trouble finding it recently.
Captain's Daughter Another worthy DIPA. A touch more bitter.
Wachusett Larry. Tasty, not top tier, but not top price either.
Wormtown. Their IPA is great, can't wait for their bottles to start showing up.

Recommended:
Berkshire Brewing Cabin Fever, a winter warmer with a touch of hazelnut. River Ale, a dark wheat, unique, flavorful, and worthy of searching it out.
Brewmaster Jack Hopiness is a Warm Pun. Out of Northampton, MA, a rising star.
Pretty Things Also Mass, I had a New Zealand hopped IPA that was outstanding. Unfortunately a limited run.
Black Hog Granola Brown. Simply a well balanced tasty brown. Oxford, CT.
Long Trail Their Farmhouse 12 pack is outstanding, both in price ($13.50 in Rutland Walmart, who knew Walmart had beer???) and flavor. This is a sampler of 4 IPAs and they are all good. White, American, Black, Session. Limbo is very good. And the flagship beer isn't bad either, although sometimes it tastes coppery to me.
Fort Hill. Easthampton MA. Excellent lager selection. They are putting out a mix 12 pack of 4 beers; a smoky rauchbier, a very good basic lager, an excellent boch, and a tasty marzen. They are saving $$ by using a generic labled can, the color of the pull tab tells you what beer is inside.
Tree House Monson MA Already a cult following, I hope to make the Pilgrimage soon. They just started to can.
Night Shift, Boston. They put the date right on the can and want you to drink it fresh. The Morph IPA was tasty.
Six Point, NY Everything they make is good. Not many brewers pull that off.
Avery Czar. An outstanding, unparalled Russian Imperial Stout. Colorado.
Bell's A Michigan brewery that isn't distributing in New England yet, but they are in NY and PA. I love their Oberon, a light summer beer.
Half Full CT Their Toasted Amber is great. Just like it sounds.
Baxter Maine. A good Stowaway IPA, and there is a 12 pack out with 4 selections. The previousy mentioned Phantom Punch is a good stout, and they just did a run of Window Seat, a coconut porter. Crazy, right? Their Bootleg DIPA was outstanding.
Harpoon. Definitive entry IPA, and I like their UFO series, especially the white. Their Winter Warmer is a great popcorn partner, and their 100bbl series is worth following.

Beer is just exploding in New England, and there is a lot of good new entries. I also made the trip to Hill Farmstead last month. Holy pot holes, Batman, are they ever out in the boonies! They were just named the best brewery in the world by Rate Beer for the 3rd year.

They were pouring on cask, the Baxter Window Seat in the Station Taproom at Mount Snow a few weeks ago, all I can say is that if you like Mounds candy bars (and I do!!) this beer was amazing!! I've been looking high and low for it in cans (Baxter released it in cans and logs) but haven't been successful yet. A very tasty dessert like beer

xwhaler

They were pouring on cask, the Baxter Window Seat in the Station Taproom at Mount Snow a few weeks ago, all I can say is that if you like Mounds candy bars (and I do!!) this beer was amazing!! I've been looking high and low for it in cans (Baxter released it in cans and logs) but haven't been successful yet. A very tasty dessert like beer
I really like that Baxter Window Seat---much better than the stout in their mix pack. Luckily I've seen the widow seat replacing the stout in their mix packs.
I find these Baxter mix packs at every Market Basket across NH that I shop in.
Stowaway is one of the better readily available canned IPA's that don't cost a fortune on the market right now.

Scruffy

Just discovered this thread....

Beers I have no use for:
Saranac. Just poor beer.
Sam Adams. Why bother, so much better stuff out there.
Magic Hat. There. I said it. Sure, #9 is OK, and their IPA tour was average good, but there's just too many disappointments. The last time I raved over a MH beer was 6 years ago.
Lefty's. I've tried 4 of their styles, and was disappointed each time. Apparently some of you like it, but.... meh. Not to be confused with Left Hand Brewing.

If your store only carries IPAs, or if your store only has one door of craft beer, then you're in the wrong store...

Hippie Chick, I feel your pain. Amber is an undersold style. Harder to find. Try finding Naughty Nurse (City Steam, just a a little spicy) Anderson Valley Amber, Full Sail Amber. Also look for toasted lagers.

Mini trends that are over rated:
Pumpkin ales. How many versions of a lame idea do we need?
IPL, or Indial Pale Lager. Like IPA, but... lighter. OK, the first one was cute, but who needs a light IPA? About as useful as a shallow powder day. Sure, I'll ski it, but why not go deeper???
Black IPA, Black lager. Thankfully in retreat. OK as a variation, but enough already.

On to the good stuff.

Previously mentioned:
Jack's Abby. Invented the IPL. Lots of hoppy IPA, highly hopped IPA, and rip your socks off IPA. Still, they have yet to really wow me.
Lawson's Sip O Sunshine. I like this more the more I drink it. Not as heavy, not as bitter on the finish, and more tangerine blossom. The last one I had was 2.5 months old, so maybe it ages well.
Heady Topper. Still outrageously good. Luckily there are lots of close competitors now. But nothing else has the juicy creamy blast of goodness that Heady delivers.
Second Fiddle. Yummy. Having trouble finding it recently.
Captain's Daughter Another worthy DIPA. A touch more bitter.
Wachusett Larry. Tasty, not top tier, but not top price either.
Wormtown. Their IPA is great, can't wait for their bottles to start showing up.

Recommended:
Berkshire Brewing Cabin Fever, a winter warmer with a touch of hazelnut. River Ale, a dark wheat, unique, flavorful, and worthy of searching it out.
Brewmaster Jack Hopiness is a Warm Pun. Out of Northampton, MA, a rising star.
Pretty Things Also Mass, I had a New Zealand hopped IPA that was outstanding. Unfortunately a limited run.
Black Hog Granola Brown. Simply a well balanced tasty brown. Oxford, CT.
Long Trail Their Farmhouse 12 pack is outstanding, both in price ($13.50 in Rutland Walmart, who knew Walmart had beer???) and flavor. This is a sampler of 4 IPAs and they are all good. White, American, Black, Session. Limbo is very good. And the flagship beer isn't bad either, although sometimes it tastes coppery to me.
Fort Hill. Easthampton MA. Excellent lager selection. They are putting out a mix 12 pack of 4 beers; a smoky rauchbier, a very good basic lager, an excellent boch, and a tasty marzen. They are saving $$ by using a generic labled can, the color of the pull tab tells you what beer is inside.
Tree House Monson MA Already a cult following, I hope to make the Pilgrimage soon. They just started to can.
Night Shift, Boston. They put the date right on the can and want you to drink it fresh. The Morph IPA was tasty.
Six Point, NY Everything they make is good. Not many brewers pull that off.
Avery Czar. An outstanding, unparalled Russian Imperial Stout. Colorado.
Bell's A Michigan brewery that isn't distributing in New England yet, but they are in NY and PA. I love their Oberon, a light summer beer.
Half Full CT Their Toasted Amber is great. Just like it sounds.
Baxter Maine. A good Stowaway IPA, and there is a 12 pack out with 4 selections. The previousy mentioned Phantom Punch is a good stout, and they just did a run of Window Seat, a coconut porter. Crazy, right? Their Bootleg DIPA was outstanding.
Harpoon. Definitive entry IPA, and I like their UFO series, especially the white. Their Winter Warmer is a great popcorn partner, and their 100bbl series is worth following.

Beer is just exploding in New England, and there is a lot of good new entries. I also made the trip to Hill Farmstead last month. Holy pot holes, Batman, are they ever out in the boonies! They were just named the best brewery in the world by Rate Beer for the 3rd year.

Can't argue with most of what you've written. I can't stand pumpkin beer, so you had my vote with that alone. I will just say that there is a place for light ( session type ) IPAs. Saranac and Magic Hat are just dated, they need to up their game. In the case of Saranac, it may be harder since it's brewed by FX Matt, who contract brews a lot of brands from what I understand. But Magic has no excuse, except sleeping on the job.

Overrated breweries: Captain Lawrence and Brooklyn, I don't get all the love for those two, never had a beer from either that I really liked.

Your list of recommended is good, especially like Second Fiddle.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not a huge Brooklyn fan, but their Black Ops stouts are outstanding.

Agreed on the session IPAs; especially when skiing. Founders All Day and Fiddlehead IPA are my go tos when I see them on draught at a ski area.

drjeff

Duchess De Bourgogne - one of the best Belgian's I've ever had!! Almost like a cross between a Belgian a Lambic and a Sour! Great balance of a Belgian "spiciness" a Lambic's fruitiness (plum + raspberry in this case) and the tartness of a sour!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I really like that Baxter Window Seat---much better than the stout in their mix pack. Luckily I've seen the widow seat replacing the stout in their mix packs.
I find these Baxter mix packs at every Market Basket across NH that I shop in.
Stowaway is one of the better readily available canned IPA's that don't cost a fortune on the market right now.

I actually hadn't seen this mix in my local Stratham MB. I grabbed it at the MB in Epping today. Great value at $14.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ballast Point Big Eye IPA is the choice tonight. It's not quite at the level of the Sculpin (which is pretty much my favorite beer), but it's exceptional as well. I have yet to try something from Ballast Point that I don't love.

HD333

Ballast Point Big Eye IPA is the choice tonight. It's not quite at the level of the Sculpin (which is pretty much my favorite beer), but it's exceptional as well. I have yet to try something from Ballast Point that I don't love.

Have you tried the Grapefruit Sculpin? I thought it was pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yes and loved it. It is the first fruit beer I've ever used the L word with. :lol:

Generally I am a beer flavored beer kind of guy. Same thing with coffee.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I prefer the regular Sculpin over the Grapefruit, but still really enjoy the Grapefruit. I much prefer the Sculpin in cans over bottles. Not sure why it tastes different, but it seems crisper and less malty. Mind you, I haven't poured either in a glass side by side for a true comparison.

I could see people enjoying the Big Eye better. It's different from the Sculpin and at the same quality level. Nice that it's a couple bucks cheaper a six pack as well.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Tonight it's Stoneface IPA. I don't know why I don't make the pilgrimage to their brewery more often. It's only 20 minutes from my home. IMO, this is the best IPA being brewed in NH today and I don't have a runner up. My clear favorite.

Savemeasammy

I bought a 6 pack of Stone Go To IPA a few weeks ago. IMO it pretty much sucked. It had a grapefruit flavor, and I just couldn't get into it... I finally drank the last one the other day. Luckily I was able to follow it up with a wachusett Larry!

xwhaler

I bought a 6 pack of Stone Go To IPA a few weeks ago. IMO it pretty much sucked. It had a grapefruit flavor, and I just couldn't get into it... I finally drank the last one the other day. Luckily I was able to follow it up with a wachusett Larry!

Wachusett Larry is one of of my favorites! Its being more widely distributed in NH now too which is nice.
I'm enjoying an Ipswich Session IPA right now....low abv at 3.9% but pretty good