• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

roark

I'll have to watch my beer intake more carefully and supplement it with the occasional shot to keep the calories down.

Sounds like a plan :grin:

Which brings a question to mind... what's up with some NH bars that won't serve you 2 drinks at once (i.e. beer and a shot). But some will... what gives? And the no drinks in the bathroom, that's stupid. Hasn't the ABC ever heard of GHB?

roark

boys...look at the 3rd post in this thread. Dogfish is all i drink these days.
I had a feeling it came up before, but what can I say. I'm lazy. Wish I could get dogfish head here.

SW NH natives: where does one go for good beer selection?

Grassi21

I had a feeling it came up before, but what can I say. I'm lazy. Wish I could get dogfish head here.

SW NH natives: where does one go for good beer selection?

Yeah I'm lazy too. I figured it was in this thread or the Favorite Adult Beverage one.

ctenidae

Chateau Jiahu (Dogfish)

Drank it last night. Apparently, the ancient Chinese used a lot of copper in their beers. Initial taste is like sucking on a penny. Not entirely pleasant. Next comes a light crispness, tasted of apples a touch. After that, not much of anything. No lingering hawthorne or honey or anything else. carbonation is nice- very fine bubbles, almost champagne-y. Despite the fact it's brewed from a 9,000 year old recipe, almost entirely unremarkeable. Dissapointing, really. I was really hoping for either something amazing or something terrible, not something, well, nothing.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Drank more of my homebrew... gotta keep drinking it. The faster I drink it the more batches I make and the cheaper it becomes...

I love economics... :dunce:

roark

Drank more of my homebrew... gotta keep drinking it. The faster I drink it the more batches I make and the cheaper it becomes...

I love economics... :dunce:
That rationale was a big part of me making the leap to all grain. Now I just need to find a local store that charges a reasonable amount for a sack of 2 row...

wa-loaf

Random Bears:
RussianBears.jpg

:eek:

BeanoNYC

The TV show Beer Nutz just did a show in Burlington. I really got to get up there for a pub crawl one of these days.

BeanoNYC

Second batch will be ready for consumption on Monday. W00t.

Marc...let's assume I'll enjoy homebrewing and I wouldn't want to buy a cheapo starter kit. What are the costs involved in getting started? Any suggestions for retailers online?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Mmm... I bought my kit at my local home brew shop after I realized they sold the nicer kit, which included both a PE bucket and glass carboy fermenter, for as much as the cheapest place online, less the shipping cost which was gonna be like $30-$40.

Try www.homebrewmart.com

In all, for the first batch, I spent about $150.... $100 for the brew kit, $20 on 22 oz bottles and $30 on the ingredient kit. Anything under $200 for all that stuff and I'd say you're doin alright.

ctenidae

Yeah, $150 all in ought to get you started well. Don't skimp on things like the capper and bottle brushes and fill tubes, though- nicer ones make your life a lot easier and your experience a lot better. Good cappers are also easier to use, even after 1/2 your previous batch.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Thanks Marc. What's the benefit of the 22 oz bottles? Couldn't I just use empty 12 oz?

Yeah, you can use any size bottle you want that you can cap. A couple things to consider-

1) I'd only reuse old bottles that you are sure are very well cleaned and free of any solid particulates, as sanitizing only kills bacteria, it doesn't disolve solids or do any heavy cleaning.

2) I went with 22 oz'ers on recommendation from someone I work with and I'm glad I did. As soon as you start bottling you may realize as I did, it's probably the least enjoyable part of the whole experience, so doulbe the bottle size (nearly) = half the bottling and capping to do.

I think probably for subsequent batches, I'll probably bottle 3/4 of the batch in 22 oz bottles and the rest in 12 oz so when I want a bottle with dinner, I don't have to drink 22 oz, but the big bottles are no big deal when you're sharing with other people.

Enjoy and have fun! :D

Greg

Staff member
Couldn't I just use empty 12 oz?

That's what I used to do. Here's a hint: A solution of ammonia and water works great to get the labels and glue off. Rinse well before sterilizing with a bleach/water solution though. Ammonia + beach = bad. :-o

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
That's what I used to do. Here's a hint: A solution of ammonia and water works great to get the labels and glue off. Rinse well before sterilizing with a bleach/water solution though. Ammonia + beach = bad. :-o

Whaddya mean? Everyone likes playing with the yellow gas. It's good for you.