Random Beers - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 181 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 1805

Thread: Random Beers

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanoNYC
    ...what do you guys know about getting some mead?
    Where to buy? No idea. In my experience most commercial mead is of the cloying sweet variety.

    Did make a couple batches. Relatively easy but it can be a rather expensive mistake (I know from experience ~18 lbs of honey ain't cheap )


  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanoNYC
    ...what do you guys know about getting some mead?
    It's fairly expensive, generally. Polish mead is pretty good- very heavy flavors, kind of like drinking brandy, with a similar amount of alcohol. English mead I find to be more like cheap cider, very thin, very sweet, and too bubbly. Your best bet is to go to a bar that advertises a brazillion beers and see if they have a sample flight available. Try a bunch out. I'm sure there are liquor stores around that sell it, but at the price it is, you don't want to be buying blind.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae
    It's fairly expensive, generally. Polish mead is pretty good- very heavy flavors, kind of like drinking brandy, with a similar amount of alcohol. English mead I find to be more like cheap cider, very thin, very sweet, and too bubbly. Your best bet is to go to a bar that advertises a brazillion beers and see if they have a sample flight available. Try a bunch out. I'm sure there are liquor stores around that sell it, but at the price it is, you don't want to be buying blind.
    Thanks...I've always wanted to try it. I imagine tastes like Bærenjager. (sp?)
    ~Rich~

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanoNYC
    Thanks...I've always wanted to try it. I imagine tastes like Bærenjager. (sp?)
    THe basic flavor is similar, but mead shows a huge range of flavors, depending on the type.

  5. #45
    Trying to find a decent Russian beer, I got two new ones, both from Baltika, a #7 and a #9 Extra Lager. I'm drinking te #9 right now.

    Not terrible, but not really good, either. 8% ABV, so it's got that going for it. Pale, Pale color, overly stout head, much like the other Russain beer I had. Decent carbonation, though. Taste is thin, with no afer taste, no real hop hit, and no real malt flavor. Sort of like a Bud, without any flavor. Maybe a Coor;s Light with no carbonation? Not sure.Two big clues to the reason for it not being much good are right on the label- in the list of ingredients is "maltose syrup", meaning they're using corn sugars, which is never a good thing, and a comment on using "advanced technology." Advanced technology on a 5,000 year old product? Why?

    Overall, not doing anything to make me think the Russains can make beer, but I can't say this one sucks.

  6. #46
    marcski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Posts
    4,575
    Quote Originally Posted by roark
    The 90 minute? That's good stuff.
    Yes the 90 minute IPA. It's definitely my fav brew these days. Comes in the 4-pack and its 9% Abv.

    The 60 minute IPA is 6%.

  7. #47
    noski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    mad river valley
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by NYDrew View Post
    I consider seeing the Otter Creek variety pack in Binghamton a random beer. Been stocking up on it cause I know such a great thing will have to come to an end sooner then I realize.
    I had an Otter Creek Scottish Style Ale. It was the only time I ever poured beer down the drain. I went back to LT Blackbeary Wheat....

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by noski View Post
    I had an Otter Creek Scottish Style Ale. It was the only time I ever poured beer down the drain. I went back to LT Blackbeary Wheat....
    Really? I haven't had a Scotch Ale I didn't like. Of course, as of yet, that has only been Sam Adams Scotch Ale... but it was fantastic. Hard to get now, I think only in the Christmas sampler pack.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

  9. #49
    I do enjoy the Scottish Ales. Belhaven's probably my favorite all around, but Sam Adams makes a good one, and McEwan's is good if it's not old (often is). Similar to the Scottish are the ESBs. Red Hook's is actualyl quite tasty.

    What was wrong with Otter Creeks? Of course, if Blackberry Wheat is more your taste, I can see how a Scottish wouldn't do it for you.

  10. #50
    noski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    mad river valley
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post

    What was wrong with Otter Creeks? Of course, if Blackberry Wheat is more your taste, I can see how a Scottish wouldn't do it for you.
    If you ever come to the MRV, I can easily arrange 3 bottles to magically appear for you to take. That's how many I have left- but I will throw them away by snowfall if I haven't found a home for them. And you hit it on the head, BBW IS more my taste, but someone brought me the OC to try. blech.
    Last edited by noski; Aug 22, 2006 at 8:26 AM. Reason: syntax error

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.