• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

ctenidae

Love. It's like an ammonia and bleach martini. Sure, it'll clean you out, but it leaves you feeling all empty inside.

BeanoNYC

Thanks for the help. I actually talked my brother-in-law (Colin, for those of you who have skied with me and him) to go in on the investment with me. We figure 100 bucks each for the startup cost. He's British and I'm Italian so we're thinking about calling our first batch "The Limey-Guido Pale Ale." Thanks for all the tips.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The 120 is a ridiculous monster, the 60 tasty and the 90 my favorite. Never had the 75. Raison D'etre is a tasty brew as well. They also make a 9% Pilsner called Golden Shower.

If I'm ever in Delaware...
Finally got to try Dogfish Raison D'etre (one more thing I am enjoying about the move: better bottled beer selection nearby). Nice beer, very heavy alcohol taste. Did not enjoy it while drinking as the after taste hits hard if you clear off the pallet between sips. Similar taste and hit to the Long Trail Double Bag... not quite as heavy though. I prefer the Double Bag for a beer of this ABV content and also smoother and better tasting than the Raison D'etre.

Also, recently tried a Smuttynose four beer sampler 12 pack and it was my first Smuttynose experience. We got the Brown, Pale Ale, India Pale, and Lager in the 12 pack and we didn't really care for any of them. Smuttynose just wasn't our deal. The Brown was the best of the four but not even close to other better Browns.

:beer:

roark

Finally got to try Dogfish Raison D'etre (one more thing I am enjoying about the move: better bottled beer selection nearby). Nice beer, very heavy alcohol taste. Did not enjoy it while drinking as the after taste hits hard if you clear off the pallet between sips. Similar taste and hit to the Long Trail Double Bag... not quite as heavy though. I prefer the Double Bag for a beer of this ABV content and also smoother and better tasting than the Raison D'etre.

Also, recently tried a Smuttynose four beer sampler 12 pack and it was my first Smuttynose experience. We got the Brown, Pale Ale, India Pale, and Lager in the 12 pack and we didn't really care for any of them. Smuttynose just wasn't our deal. The Brown was the best of the four but not even close to other better Browns.

:beer:
The Smutty "Big Beer" series is generally where it's at, especially the IPA. Imperial Stout and Barley Wine are quite tasty as well. I also rather enjoy the Smutty Robust Porter but that one seems to be a yum/yuck reaction with everyone I've tried it on. The Shoals walks a nice line between an American Pale Ale (a la Sierra) and British. Never thought much of the lager. Finestkind IPA I think is ok. Brown has a nice label and is inoffensive but not exciting to me.
I am still hunting for Anchor Porter. There is a brew pub in Old Orchard Beach that brews a porter I love but the brew master only makes it when he feels like it. I stop in every now and then to see if it is on tap. No luck lately. The strange thing is the brew master hates making it but every one loves drinking it.
Anchor Porter is the beer that made me love dark beers. Funny the brewmaster doesn't like making it, dark english ales are probably the easiest style to make a consistent product with, which is usually the biggest problem with brewpubs.

roark

Fack, I gotta get off my ass and brew again. I'm running low and winter is approaching.
Ditto. Time for the annual vanilla cardamom xmas ale (and about time I did another imperial stout...)

ctenidae

Heh- brewing another batch is my incentive for getting the condo finished. I'm trying to work in racking and storage facilities into the design. All I need is a cabinet 18 inches deep for the fermenters, and I'm all set. Now if I can just convince my wife...

wa-loaf

I'm drinking Mead right now. A friend at works boyfriend is the head brewer for the Ipswich brewery and brewed this up. It's not at all what I expected, I don't know too much about mead, but I always thought it was beer-like. This is much more like wine and tastes like it's really strong. The first taste gave me a shiver, but it's growing on me. :-D

roark

currently enjoying some anchor porter from the brattleboro co-op. mmmmm...

since I left CA both Sierra and Anchor have gone to twist off...

Greg

Staff member
I also rather enjoy the Smutty Robust Porter but that one seems to be a yum/yuck reaction with everyone I've tried it on.

I'm on my third one of these tonight. Rather tasty, but it's making me feel pretty faded...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I don't think I have had the 90 yet but it is on the to drink list. Thankfully our downtown package store has an amazing variety of craft brews to choose from. Currently, we still have 12 bottles from 3 different breweries still in the fridge, so I will have to report back on the 90 minute in another month or so when we clear out some more room.

Lately I've been drinking alot of FranziCanner(Sp?)...alot of Guinness...Budweiser...Yuengling lager...Sam Adams October fest and soon Winter Lager will be available in stores....and Petes Wicked Ale..