Random Beers - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 181 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Beers

Beerlog, stardate 82806...

Consumeda Samuel Smith's Organic Ale last night. Beautiful color, noce head. Light hops in teh nose. Flavor was dissapointingly mild, little malt or hops in evidence. Mouthfeel was good, not to carbonated and not too heavy. Considering the quality of other Sam Smith offerings, this beer was a huge letdown.

Worst part is that after consuming only one (albeit a 20 oz bottle), this morning I feel like I drank 8 or 10. And I drank the one around 8 o'clock. I will not be returning to the Sam Smith Organic galaxy any time soon. Something in it seriously didn't agree with me.

I bought a 6-pack of one of the Harpoon 100 Barrel Series. Not good stuff. It's the Framboise. It has a raspberry flavor to it, and I love raspberry, but this was just not very good, especially for $10.99

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index....516&cdid=29357

BeerAdvocate didn't like the framboise, either.

Have we discussed Wachusett IPA yet? I gotta say, I'm a fan. I've got that and Sam Boston Ale in the fridge right now.

And one or two Sam Brown Ales, which is not good at all, IMO.

But this IPA is not over hopped, very clean, and has a nice dry finish. Good IPA qualities. Leaves a very nice lace as well.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

But this IPA is not over hopped, very clean, and has a nice dry finish. Good IPA qualities. Leaves a very nice lace as well.

See, I consider the Wachussett IPA to be a good pale ale, but not a good India Pale Ale precisely because of the lack of hops. IPA should be heavily hopped and higher in alcohol, bumping the 6% range. After all, that was the design intent- it was brewed for shipment to British troops in India, and the hops helped preserve it while the alcohol content required fewer shipments. Historical accuracy- it's not just for school any more.

Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
    See, I consider the Wachussett IPA to be a good pale ale, but not a good India Pale Ale precisely because of the lack of hops. IPA should be heavily hopped and higher in alcohol, bumping the 6% range. After all, that was the design intent- it was brewed for shipment to British troops in India, and the hops helped preserve it while the alcohol content required fewer shipments. Historical accuracy- it's not just for school any more.
    I feel the same way about Bass, but maybe that's just because I'm a hophead.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Have we discussed Wachusett IPA yet? I gotta say, I'm a fan. I've got that and Sam Boston Ale in the fridge right now.
    my uncle pretty much only drinks just this and Harpoon IPA. I don't see it in the liquor stores very often, so I only drink it when I'm over his house. It's good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by roark View Post
    I feel the same way about Bass, but maybe that's just because I'm a hophead.

Fortunately, Bass is a pale ale.

Alright, it's a good point. I don't have enough experience drinking IPA's and pale ale's to know more or less where the boundary lies. At least not just by taste. I'm not a huge hophead though, and I'm still more or less on my dark beer kick. I'll probably be picking up a six of SA Cream Stout this weekend unless I can find a different one I have tried yet.

I'd also like to give some friendly advice- when drinking different brews in one sitting, start with the more mild and work towards the more hopped, stronger brews. I drank an SA Boston Ale after the Wa IPA last night and tasted like water by comparison. The Boston Ale was wasted. I'm drinking the last one of those right now and it tastes as good as it ever did.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
    Fortunately, Bass is a pale ale.
    I agree, and presume BA does as well. But the darn label says "Pale Ale" across the top and in small print (below "Bass", I.P.A.

Thread Information