• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Am I the only man in the north east who thinks that yeungling is at best way overrated and in my opinion, a lame excuse for a light and bland beer under the guise of long standing tradition?

Am I the only man in the north east who thinks that yeungling is at best way overrated and in my opinion, a lame excuse for a light and bland beer under the guise of long standing tradition?

Yuengling is neither light or bland..

ctenidae

5-8 years ago I would have disagreed with you vehemently.
Now, I think you're right. It's probably the same beer as then, but with 200% extra hype. Hype doesn't taste good.

Yuengling isn't my favorite beer but it's a beer that's everywhere since I live in eastern PA...if you have a party around these parts..the beers that will satisfy the most Tom Dick and Harrys is Rolling Rock and Yuengling..

At a recent BBQ at my parents house...I bought a case of Sam Adams Lager, HoeGaarden, and a case of Mich Ultra for the ladies and girly men..well there's now a bunch of Mich Ultras that only a 9th grader would want to drink..now that's a shitty beer...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
5-8 years ago I would have disagreed with you vehemently.
Now, I think you're right. It's probably the same beer as then, but with 200% extra hype. Hype doesn't taste good.

Yeah I hear ya.

Of course I'm still on my heavy and dark beer kick, and that may never end... I've moved to dark roast strong coffee's too. I'm to the point where SA Boston Lager tastes a shade on the light side to me.

I think a lot of the following for Yuengling came from when it was (for its area) the really only alternative to the crappy macrobrews. It served a purpose then... now with the advent of microbreweries brewing fabulous beers in every locale across the US, and homebrewing, it's just not as unique or good tasting to me coming from a universe of great beer. Maybe I'm too young to appreciate what it was, but in this day and age, I can find better alternatives in mere seconds.

roark

SA imperial pils tonight. Pretty good, not as aggressively hoppy as the label portrays. Hallertau is an interesting hop... Not as much aroma as I'd like/expect from the imperial tag. Taste is complex, almost fruity at first. I thought I'd like pils as a mellow background to showcase the hop but after tasting I'd like a little more malt to back up the hops. Finish is nice and smooth.

I'm generally not a big fan of Sam... pricey, but this is one of the better offerings IMHO.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
As far as SA goes... eh, I found that cheaper micro's can be better as well and if I want to spend money it will be on something Belgian, but I am a loyal fan of Cream Stout... might be my favorite all time, and I'm a huge fan of their Scotch Ale and Double Bock as well. The rest I'm just thankful exists, because it's penetrated so much of the market and is often the best thing available.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
SA Double Bock is nice. I like LT Double Bag better due to its more smooth nature. As Marc mentions, the market penetration of SA is nice as at least I can order a beer at places that don't have microbrews. It is as corporate a beer as I am willing to drink and it isn't complete swill like Bud, Mic, Coors, Heineiken, Corona, etc.

Greg

Staff member
I also rather enjoy the Smutty Robust Porter but that one seems to be a yum/yuck reaction with everyone I've tried it on.

I'm on my third one of these tonight. Rather tasty, but it's making me feel pretty faded...

Okay. So what's up with this stuff? It took me two nights to finish a six pack and I've been throughly buzzed both nights. The bottle says only 5.7%. Is this stuff legal?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
[size=-2]Two beer queer... what?[/size]

I like the direction of this Misc forums... beer, Russian literature and Celebrity Jeopardy.

Must be getting close enough to ski season for everyone to be in a good mood.

MikeTrainor

I like Woodstock Stations Pig's Ear. I have also noticed that my local liquor store now sells it.

Greg

Staff member
Two beer queer... what?

I know! It's crazy. Three beer queer, by the way. Get it right! I must have just become accustomed to all the cheap vodka I've been drinking. I'm a sally assed lightweight....what can I tell ya. :oops:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I know! It's crazy. Three beer queer, by the way. Get it right! I must have just become accustomed to all the cheap vodka I've been drinking. I'm a sally assed lightweight....what can I tell ya. :oops:

Ahhahhaha... as it is so rare for me to hear anyone volunteer themselves a "sally assed lightweight", well I can't fault you any further from that perspective, Greg.

Cheers!

:beer:

roark

Okay. So what's up with this stuff? It took me two nights to finish a six pack and I've been throughly buzzed both nights. The bottle says only 5.7%. Is this stuff legal?
Heh, nice. Always glad to "turn one on" as it were.

Greg

Staff member
Ahhahhaha... as it is so rare for me to hear anyone volunteer themselves a "sally assed lightweight", well I can't fault you any further from that perspective, Greg.

Cheers!

:beer:

Trust me. I'm not proud. There was a time when I could really put them away. Last season at Sugarbush, 2knees, my buddy Joe and I went out. I doubt that we drank more than 8 pints and a 1 shot each and we were useless the next day. Pretty pathetic, I know...

Wait a minute....I think we had some beers at the Golden Lion too. That was the night Pat locked himself out of his room....
Good times. :beer:

BTW, with all the snowman entertainment, I decided to nightcap with a Sammy Octoberfest... :lol:

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!

Hey now, I think I'll take the prize tonight. Ben and Jerry's Chocolate fudge brownie for me tonight. I'm riding again early in the morning before work. How's that for being a sally assed lightweight?!!!

ctenidae

Bought a six pack of Bavick Weissbeer in NYC yesterday. Meant to drink it on the train back, but had a large, dissaproving-type woman in the seat next to me. I bought it because it's in cans. Steel ones, at that. Novelty factor is high, we'll see how the taste factor plays out.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I need to pick up some Duvel. A stop at Yankee Spirits might be in order for tonight. Can't wait until this batch of porter is ready I brewed last week.