• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

roark

I need to pick up some Duvel. A stop at Yankee Spirits might be in order for tonight. Can't wait until this batch of porter is ready I brewed last week.
I used to work at a pretty high end restaurant where the local distrbuitors were always dropping off presents... One holiday season I got a magnum of Duvel. Man, that was a mean hangover for me and a couple friends!

Sierra Nevada right now..mmm mmm good...and really not that expensive by the case..cheaping than Heinekin which is skunky in the green bottles.

ctenidae

The cans were a great working beer. Sweet and citrusy, plenty smooth. Not what I'd call a great beer by any stretch, but great for the purpose. Maybe not as good an in-the-sun working beer as Dixie Lager, but respectable.

gorgonzola

8823.jpg

A few of these over the weekend made it feel a little like October!

Mildcat

Does Saranac still make the Chocolate Amber? I use to love that beer but I haven't seen it in years.

thaller1

Alaskan Brewing makes my all time favorite beer -
Alaskan Winter Ale
Style:
English Olde Ale. Traditionally malty with the warming sensation of alcohol, Olde Ales are brewed in the fall as winter warmers.

Flavor Profile:
Brewed in the style of an English Olde Ale, this ale balances the sweet heady aroma of spruce tips with the clean crisp finish of noble hops. Its malty richness is complemented by the warming sensation of alcohol.

History:
From the seafaring adventurers of the 1700s to the homebrewers of today, adding spruce tips to beer has a rich history in Southeast Alaska. The tender new growth of Sitka spruce tips lends a delicious, yet subtly sweet floral aroma to tea, jelly and now Alaskan Winter Ale.

Ingredients:
Water, malt, hops and yeast with no adjuncts, no preservatives and no pasteurization. Our glacier-fed water originates in the 1,500-square-mile Juneau Ice Field. A complex blend of six malts including Pale, Wheat, Munich and caramelized malts. Prized Czechoslovakian Saaz hops and Sitka spruce tips.

Recommendations:
Perfect winter warmer by the fireside or an accompaniment to holiday fare. Serve with roast goose, turkey, ham or lamb. A nice complement to holiday breads pound cake, or apple pie.

Specifications:
Original Gravity: 1.066, ABW 5.12%, ABV 6.4%, Bitterness: 27 IBU, Color: 17 SRM

drjeff

Raison D'etre is growing on me. Halfway through the six pack so far. Not good with a meal but I am enjoying it as a post dinner libation.

:beer:

My wife has grown quite fond of their Festina de'peche. Personally my favorite dogfishhead is their 90 minute IPA. Mmmmmmmmm! :beer:

drjeff

I need to pick up some Duvel. A stop at Yankee Spirits might be in order for tonight. Can't wait until this batch of porter is ready I brewed last week.

I can never get out of either of their stores in less than an hour or without spending $100! Boy do I love their stores! :beer:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
My wife has grown quite fond of their Festina de'peche. Personally my favorite dogfishhead is their 90 minute IPA. Mmmmmmmmm! :beer:
I just sampled the 90 minute last night. Great beer! My favorite Dogfish Head beer so far. Much better than the 60 minute. It is smoother and better tasting despite 1/3 higher ABV. at 9%, it is not the strongest ABV beer I have sampled, but is right up there with Double Bag as being one of the better beers in that nearing double digits range. Though the $8.50 price tag for only four bottles was a bit rough so this is definitely a beer for a special occasion. Can't really put it up against my beloved Harpoon IPA due to the exceptionally high ABV and price tag, so definitely not going to wrestle Harpoon out of my session category go-to beer.

Had a Woodstock the other day... can't remember if it was a lager or an ale, but in either case, very unimpressive. Reminded me of a SA Lager which is only one step away from the horrible mass market national beers. Not terrible but certainly far from anything special in the craft brew market.

roark

$8.50 for the 90min is a pretty decent price, usually more like $10 when I see it.

$8.50 for the 90min is a pretty decent price, usually more like $10 when I see it.

I bet that owuld be $12 here in PA for a four pack..What does a case go for??? I'd be messed up the whole weekend on a case of that...like comatose...I had some Magic Hat #9 earlier and now I'm going to have a Guinness..Sierra Nevade and Yuengling at my parents house for when I go over there later...it's nice to have beer all over town..

ctenidae

Got teh Magic Hat sampler pack- #9, Circus Boy Hefe, Roxy Role, Strange Notion. All pretty tasty, none of a particularly distinctive style. THe Strange Notion is their winter offering- pretty tasty. I was drinking straight from the bottle (all our glasses are hidden as we destroy the kitchen), and was quite surprised to see how dark it was when I dumped the dregs.

Greg

Staff member
Sammy Scotch Ale

This stuff came in the Brewmaster packs I got. It has to be one of the most vile beers I've ever suffered through. Perhaps Magic Hat Saint Gootz is worse. I couldn't even finish one of those. At least I can choke this Scotch Ale down... :puke: