Random Beers - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 181 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Beers

Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
    Had a Smuttynose Big A IPA. That's a beer that embodies everythingn an IPA should have, in spades. More hops than you can shake a stick at, really pronounced citrus smells and a fruity, orange flavor on the back. Pretty tasty, though filling, like many IPAs. Good stuff, certainly lived up to my expectations of Smuttynose.
    Yup, that's a good one. IIRC their website lists details for the 'big beer' series- I think the Big A is just 2 row and a good variety of hops. So many new hop varieties have come out in the last few years... yum.

Quote Originally Posted by roark View Post
    Yup, that's a good one. IIRC their website lists details for the 'big beer' series- I think the Big A is just 2 row and a good variety of hops. So many new hop varieties have come out in the last few years... yum.
    Yeah, it listed 5-6 different hops, several of which I'd never heard of.

I’m a big fan of McNeill’s Brewery in Brattleboro VT. Picked up the Imperial IPA the other day at the co-op. I’d never seen it before and BA didn’t have it listed.

Poured a rich amber hue with a very white, fluffy head. Aroma is mostly hops, but some fruitiness/esters like a warm fermentation or maybe just a more interesting yeast. Initial flavor is malt(?!?) and the fruitiness – but then the hops come alive. Full hop flavor quickly dominates. My suspicion is less of the hopping is early in boil, with aggressive amounts later. Certainly a different take on an Imperial/Double IPA than most breweries. Recommended.

One note of warning – McNeill’s bottling is the worst I’ve ever seen. Inconsistent fills, caps often not properly sealed. Inspect the bottle before you buy. Also: if you get it at the brewery their cooler gets blasted by the sun – grab a bottle from the back. Or better yet, just get a growler.

Paper City Brewery

is the name of the Holyoke brewery and everything I've tried from them has been good, particularly the Ireland Parish Golden Ale.
    Another favorite is the Long Trail Double Bag, a 7.2 percent alcohol brew.
    If you haven't tried the Saranac Black Forest Lager, it is excellent. It's a type of German lager, not some caramel-colored and flavored phony.

Anyone try anything from Dogfish Head? I tried their 90 minute IPA. Besides packing a punch (9% alc) it is a damn good tasting beverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassi21 View Post
    Anyone try anything from Dogfish Head? I tried their 90 minute IPA. Besides packing a punch (9% alc) it is a damn good tasting beverage.
    The 120 is a ridiculous monster, the 60 tasty and the 90 my favorite. Never had the 75. Raison D'etre is a tasty brew as well. They also make a 9% Pilsner called Golden Shower.

If I'm ever in Delaware...

The 120 is a ridiculous monster, the 60 tasty and the 90 my favorite. Never had the 75. Raison D'etre is a tasty brew as well. They also make a 9% Pilsner called Golden Shower.

If I'm ever in Delaware...
    The 60 is next on my list. I found a great little liquor store 1/2 mile from my house that has a huge selection of beer.

I've really been hitting the beer hard since I eliminated soda from my diet. I love my Jack and Cokes but the calorie count was killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by jjmcgo View Post
    is the name of the Holyoke brewery and everything I've tried from them has been good, particularly the Ireland Parish Golden Ale.
    Another favorite is the Long Trail Double Bag, a 7.2 percent alcohol brew.
    If you haven't tried the Saranac Black Forest Lager, it is excellent. It's a type of German lager, not some caramel-colored and flavored phony.
    I've had tehir "Summer Brew". Certainly the most interesting summer seasonal I've ever had... usually it's the blandest offering a brewery puts out. I'm have to keep my eyes open for more from them.

Double Bag has been an old standby since I moved back east.

Not a big fan of Saranac... they always seem weak/watery to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Grassi21 View Post
    The 60 is next on my list. I found a great little liquor store 1/2 mile from my house that has a huge selection of beer.

I've really been hitting the beer hard since I eliminated soda from my diet. I love my Jack and Cokes but the calorie count was killing me.
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you might be surprised by the calories in beer. A typical 5% - 6% microbrew is usually around 200 cal. Higher alcohol beers will be more. 1 oz booze ~75 cal. I suppose combine that with regular coke and you're up a bit higher (depending on the ratio of coke/Jack).

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you might be surprised by the calories in beer. A typical 5% - 6% microbrew is usually around 200 cal. Higher alcohol beers will be more. 1 oz booze ~75 cal. I suppose combine that with regular coke and you're up a bit higher (depending on the ratio of coke/Jack).
    Its usually more Jack than Coke, way more.

I'll have to watch my beer intake more carefully and supplement it with the occasional shot to keep the calories down.

Thread Information