• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

ctenidae

Had a Unibroue 17 (17th anniversary ale) on Satruday. Not sure if it had skunked (cork was stuck in teh bottle, had to break teh top off adn use a corkscrew, but other than that the cork was fine), but it seriously didn't taste any different from some of my less succesful batches of homebrew. I was surprised and dissapopinted.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!

Considering that an 18 pack suitcase cooler full of cans fits SO much better in the basket of a golfcart that a traditional cooler for bottles, I'm TOTALLY thrilled with this trend to put more micro's in cans! :) :beer: :)

Love it. Picked up a 12 of SNPA in cans this past weekend. Cans fit so much better into an active lifestyle, boats, bikes, hikes.

It's apparently better for the beer too, totally cuts out the light. Definitely a trend I've seen in my LBS as well the last year.

marcski

I read that and was :dontknow: - why would canning be a big deal at your Local Bike Shop? :dunce:

Seriously- those guys tend to drink cheap gunge that's been sold in cans forever, anyway.

I bring my Local Bike Shop guys a nice cold six pack of something tasty (usually in bottles) every once in a while as a surprise gift. That's just the way I roll. :).

But, the Local Beer Shop has been stocking more and more canned microbeers as they've been coming out.

marcski

Broke into the 2nd to last growler of Troegs Nugget Nectar. LBS tapped the last 1/2 keg they can get this season. I'm sure you can find them in bottles still.

The nugget nectar is a really good beer. And, it is especially good to wash down a safety mtg.

marcski

My buddy owns a few restaurants and maintains a very nice and tasty beer selection in his places. So, he knows I'm a big fan of the Maine Beer Co., Zoe, which is very hard to find. But, his wholesale distributor got a few cases and he ordered one for me! Psych. I'll get it Wednesday or Thursday. Comes to about 4.25/16.6 oz. bottle. Pretty damn good, considering my LBS has it for 7.99/per.

drjeff

I made a trip the beer Mecca that is Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge, MA yesterday to pick up some craft brew bomber bottles as a birthday/new outdoor kitchen + firepit gift for my brother. And in browsing through the selection I happened upon what might in theory be my dream beer, Rogue's new limited release Voodoo Donut. I was initially drawn to check it out by it's can't miss bright pink bottle. Then when I read the description, I was suddenly putting a few into my shopping cart. It's a 5.6% ABV MAPLE BACON Ale!!!

Rogue-Voodoo-Doughnut-Bacon-Maple-Ale.jpg

As i'm in my final few hardcore training days for this weekend Tough Mudder at Mount Snow, I've yet to do more than just look at the bottle and think of what it will taste like after I finish Tough Mudder this Saturday. A "trip report" will follow for sure! :) :beer: :)

soposkier

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012/04/miller_lite_punch_top_can.php

Now easier to pour! (after reading further I guess this is nothing new, but that a lot of beer cans had this ability in the '70s, predating me)

If they really want to make shotgunning easier I say put one on the side of the can and market exclusively to college students. If i was trying to decide what cheap beer to buy amongst keystone, busch, etc... id probably go with the one that had a prepunched hole.

drjeff

Anyone want to pick the target demographic there?

The lead judges for the Great American Brewer's Festival??

The members of The Augusta National Golf Club??

The members of the Ferrari Owners Club of America??

The United States Table Tennis Association??

:) :) :) :)

marcski

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012/04/miller_lite_punch_top_can.php

Now easier to pour! (after reading further I guess this is nothing new, but that a lot of beer cans had this ability in the '70s, predating me)

If they really want to make shotgunning easier I say put one on the side of the can and market exclusively to college students. If i was trying to decide what cheap beer to buy amongst keystone, busch, etc... id probably go with the one that had a prepunched hole.

Why don't they try and make it taste good so you could savor the flavor rather than shotgun it?

skidmarks

Heady Topper

Now that I'm back and forth to VT, I've been enjoying Heady Topper from the Alchemist Cannery/Brewery in Waterbury. This beer is a very very very hoppy IPA. It's hard to find but well worth the effort!

HT.JPG

soposkier

Why don't they try and make it taste good so you could savor the flavor rather than shotgun it?

Because shotgunning beer is fun.

There are plenty of good beers to buy and savor. On that note bought some heady topper in MA last week, last one of the one case the liquor store got. I must say it lived up to all the hype and more.

skidmarks

Because shotgunning beer is fun.

There are plenty of good beers to buy and savor. On that note bought some heady topper in MA last week, last one of the one case the liquor store got. I must say it lived up to all the hype and more.

Where in MA can you get the heady topper??