• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

WoodCore

Did you get those in VT or CT?

Do you know a good beer store down in the New Haven area that might carry Lawson's? I've been traveling through that area frequently for work. Haven't been making it up to VT much these days.

Right now I'm enjoying a Maine Beer Company Another One. Heading to the Dirty Truth beer bar in Northampton, MA in a little bit. Hoping to try a few different new jars of suds

Those came from my local store in CT. Finding Lawson's down here is even worse than VT as there is no set delivery schedule. I just happened to be in the store when they were delivered.

steamboat1

[h=2]Lobster in the Beer??? Oxbow brewing a beer made with lobsters[/h] July 22, 2015 New England
IMG_7820_0.JPG

Oxbow Brewing is offering a quicker way to consume two of the Maine’s summertime staples: beer and lobster. The brewer is producing beer made with live Maine lobsters and a dash of sea salt. Brewmaster Tim Adams says the lobsters were placed in a mesh bag and suspended in a kettle full of boiling wort, the liquid made from the mashing process, during brewing. He says the lobsters add a subtle brininess and sweetness that lobster fans will recognize. It is 4.5 percent alcohol by volume and is available on a limited basis. The beer became available this summer.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Finally trying the Otter Creek Backseat Berner that's gotten so many positive reviews on here. I concur, great brew.

moresnow

I had no idea. Learn something new every day.

that's some upper level beer geekery!

:lol:

Wow. No idea.

I thought everyone knew this. I guess it's all about the circles you find yourself in.

There are 2 basic styles of beer, ales and lagers. The difference is the yeast. Ales are top fermenting. They ferment at a higher temperature and do so more quickly. Lagers are bottom fermenting. They take longer and require cooler temperatures.

After that all the different styles come from the ingredients used: grains, hops, yeast strain, and other adjuncts (fruit, sugars, coffee, ect.).

I personally find it amazing that so many flavors can be created from so few ingredients.

Found this after a quick Google search. Looks like it has some good info if you are interested in falling down a rabbit hole.
http://bendbrewfest.com/beers.html

Tin

I thought everyone knew this. I guess it's all about the circles you find yourself in.

There are 2 basic styles of beer, ales and lagers. The difference is the yeast. Ales are top fermenting. They ferment at a higher temperature and do so more quickly. Lagers are bottom fermenting. They take longer and require cooler temperatures.

After that all the different styles come from the ingredients used: grains, hops, yeast strain, and other adjuncts (fruit, sugars, coffee, ect.).

I personally find it amazing that so many flavors can be created from so few ingredients.

Found this after a quick Google search. Looks like it has some good info if you are interested in falling down a rabbit hole.
http://bendbrewfest.com/beers.html

Thanks!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Don't get me wrong if winter started tomorrow I'd be quite pleased, but something annoys me about seeing fall beers in July.

I saw Shipyard Pumpkin Head in the store today. It's July 25th. Probably been there since earlier in the week.

Fall beer season shouldn't start until Labor Day.

ctenidae

Don't get me wrong if winter started tomorrow I'd be quite pleased, but something annoys me about seeing fall beers in July.

I saw Shipyard Pumpkin Head in the store today. It's July 25th. Probably been there since earlier in the week.

What are you complaining about? My local stores just cleared out all their Halloween stuff, and now it's only Santa everywhere...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Must be a NYC thing. Up in Northern New England the distributors and stores are practically giving it away come late October.

I guess my overall impression is that they are releasing fall beers earlier and earlier. Can't recall seeing them in July in past years.

dlague

Ya we saw that last week too and thought it was a little early.

prsboogie

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid 102 IBUs and have to say not that good. I like Magic Hat's Big Hundo Way Better. It was to yeasty or malty tasting for my liking. Disappointed cuz I like most of there products, we the ones I've tried of course!

deadheadskier

Staff member
We have a new brewery in town. Deciduous Brewery. They released a test batch of a blonde ale to several restaurants a couple weeks ago. I had it this afternoon and it was decent. It's likely a one off brew for them.

I'm looking forward to the brewery's tasting room opening full time in a couple of weeks where they plan on having four flagship beers.

Pretty cool that my little town is opening a regional brewery.

drjeff

Must be a NYC thing. Up in Northern New England the distributors and stores are practically giving it away come late October.

I guess my overall impression is that they are releasing fall beers earlier and earlier. Can't recall seeing them in July in past years.

Makes sense as "spring" beers now rollout about Feb 1st, "summer" beers rollout about May 1st, gotta bring the pumpkin lovefest about August 1st!! Lol!!

Thank god I didn't see any pumpkin brews in Florida this past week!! It was so hot and humid that even my beer loving self was choosing gin, Rum and vodka based drinks over some solid Florida IPA's! And as much as Tampa's Cigar City Brewing Jai Alai IPA gets STRONG reviews, I have to give my IPA loving nod to Fort Lauderdale's Funky Buddha Brewing Hop Gun IPA! Right up there with Heady Topper, Sip of Sunshine and Ghandi Bot in my book!