• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

WWF-VT

Singlecut Beersmiths "Softly Spoken Magic Spells" - a IIPA from Astoria Queens, NYC that was bottle on 8/24 and I bought at the Village Market in Waterbury, VT. It's a damn fine tasting IIPA here in the land of Heady Topper and Sip of Sunshine

bdfreetuna

Big Elm : Fat Boy (Double IPA, 8%, 16oz can)

Smells overwhelming of hops and bitterness. Hits the taste bud with a serious IBU hit and then almost tastes like a cooked eggplant sandwich. Somehow the malts overpower the hops in this beer. Heavy stuff, has a bite to it then turns into liquid funky malt. Tastes thick. 8% alcohol and it could pass for more. Aftertaste lingers with bitterness, not so much malt aftertaste. Almost like it numbed my taste buds. This beer is a meal, I could see it being a good option to pack with on a ski day.

Would probably not buy again unless options were limited, or maybe in the cold of winter, but Big Elm makes an 8/10 regular IPA that is better than most.

Fat.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Case to the left and the Growler was for a buddy. I grabbed three four packs for me - Little Rooster Pale Ale, Melcher Street IPA and double dry hopped Summer Street.

Having the Rooster now. Another winner by Trillium

Attachments

• 1474499391731.jpg
    1474499391731.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 31

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hopefully the new place is quick, but more importantly having the ability to buy more than 16 cans to a case. I could have bought five cases plus Growlers on top of that had I wanted to today

Tin

Big Elm : Fat Boy (Double IPA, 8%, 16oz can)

Smells overwhelming of hops and bitterness. Hits the taste bud with a serious IBU hit and then almost tastes like a cooked eggplant sandwich. Somehow the malts overpower the hops in this beer. Heavy stuff, has a bite to it then turns into liquid funky malt. Tastes thick. 8% alcohol and it could pass for more. Aftertaste lingers with bitterness, not so much malt aftertaste. Almost like it numbed my taste buds. This beer is a meal, I could see it being a good option to pack with on a ski day.

Would probably not buy again unless options were limited, or maybe in the cold of winter, but Big Elm makes an 8/10 regular IPA that is better than most.

attachment.php

Where did you find in around here? Haven't seen it in any Amherst/Hadley stores. I liked it much more than their regular IPA which tasted like a true malt bomb to me.

drjeff

If only treehouse was that quick!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I was literally in and out of Treehouse at 5PM today in under a minute, with a parking space maybe 50ft from the door!

Granted all I could buy was 6 Green and 6 Doppelganger, but it was a pleasant change from some of the BIG lines at Treehouse for many months now!

I agree with the hope that the new facility on route 20 in Charlton (and for reference sake for those who aren't really sure of where the new Treehouse facility will be, it's roughly a half mile South of where the Eastbound Charlton rest area on the Mass Pike a few miles East of exit 9 (the I-84 interchange on the Pike).

If Nate and Lauren and the entire Treehouse crew can get the production capabilities to allow sales limits like Trillium has now, I think there would be lots of happy beer drinkers sometime late Spring/Early Summer next year!!

chuckstah

A friend went to Treehouse earlier today. Said line was long but in and out in about 20 minutes with no growler sales on Wednesday. Looking forward to my first Tree house beers tailgating tomorrow night at the Pats.

chuckstah

Cant wait to try these.

Attachments

• 1474511225835.jpg
    1474511225835.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 64

bdfreetuna

Captain Lawrence Brewing : Palate Shifter Imperial IPA, 9%

Smells a little floral, fruity, hoppy on the surface and malts underneath. My first time seeing this beer or probably anything from this brewery. Was looking for a Double IPA but didn't want to pay $15 for 4 Double Jack's. This was $10 for 4. Worth the gamble. Very hoppy stuff with a flavor that seems to transform through several unique tastes before it finishes. I think they set out to accomplish something different, "Palate Shifter" seems like an appropriate name. Good flavors all through and leaves a good taste, finishing with hops rather than malts, but lightly so. Hits with a lot of flavor but cleans itself up on the way down.

Would buy again and likely to do so as it's priced better than other beers in its class.

CL-PS.jpg

WoodCore

Captain Lawrence Brewing : Palate Shifter Imperial IPA, 9%

Smells a little floral, fruity, hoppy on the surface and malts underneath. My first time seeing this beer or probably anything from this brewery. Was looking for a Double IPA but didn't want to pay $15 for 4 Double Jack's. This was $10 for 4. Worth the gamble. Very hoppy stuff with a flavor that seems to transform through several unique tastes before it finishes. I think they set out to accomplish something different, "Palate Shifter" seems like an appropriate name. Good flavors all through and leaves a good taste, finishing with hops rather than malts, but lightly so. Hits with a lot of flavor but cleans itself up on the way down.

Would buy again and likely to do so as it's priced better than other beers in its class.

View attachment 20681

Have had a couple of logs of Captain Lawrence in the Keg-o-rator, good stuff!

bdfreetuna

Victory : Dirt Wolf (Double IPA, 8.7%)

This beer had some kind of "99" rating pasted next to it at the store. Tastes kind of light even for a regular IPA though. Not a lot of carbonation nor a blast of hops. Seems like a standard IPA with a little more malt and a little more alcohol. Wins points for drinkability, could easily session these. And by session I mean pound 8.9% beers if you wanted to.

Not sure if I would buy again, maybe in the summer, this is basically a beach beer for me.

V-DirtWolf.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Have a bottle date on it? I've had some big DIPAs that lighten considerably after six weeks. Foundation Epiphany comes to mind. Some consider it Maine's best DIPA, but after six weeks it becomes rather pedestrian

HD333

Picked up a little bit of Trillium today.

Being able to do this in under 10 minutes puts these guys ahead of Treehouse for me.
7f94cba377bd42219628625a4fba2ad1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's kind of amazing that such huge crowds travel to Tree House, out in the middle of nowhere, to wait in long lines to buy 16 cans when Trillium is of probably near equal quality, 10 minutes off 95 and you can always buy multiple cases with minimal wait.

WoodCore

In and out of Tree House in under 10 minutes today. Alter Ego and Haze offerings.

IMG_6115.jpg

IMG_6117.jpg

IMG_6119.jpg