• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

ctenidae

Got a sicer of White Tail IPA from Mendocino Brewing. Excellent example of an IPA. Only real ding against it is carbonation that's a touch too energetic. OTher than that, though, it has all the qualities I look for in an IPA.

roark

Huh, I grew up out there. Haven't seen that one - must be a new beer for MB. They went waaaaaaay downhill after being purchased by some Indian company. Red Tail used to be fantastic. Eye of the Hawk is an interesting brew as well.

ctenidae

Had the Sam Adam's Oktoberfest twice, didn't like it. First ahd it in a bottle- no taste up front, a tiny, tiny touch of hops in teh middle, and an annoying malt flavor at the finish. Not nice maltiness, but a distillation of all the flavors of malt that's bad. Almost molasses-y. Makes me think of what artifical malt flavor would probably taste like if there were such a thing.

On the presumption that maybe it was a bad sixer, I had it on tap yesterday. Sour all teh way through, no malt, no hops.

Surprisingly, Sam put out a real stinker this time around. Normally I love their Oktoberfest offering and buy quite a lot of it. Not this year. I am glad the Oktoberfests are rolling out, though, I'm always excited to see what Spaten does.

ctenidae

Had a Smuttynose Big A IPA. That's a beer that embodies everythingn an IPA should have, in spades. More hops than you can shake a stick at, really pronounced citrus smells and a fruity, orange flavor on the back. Pretty tasty, though filling, like many IPAs. Good stuff, certainly lived up to my expectations of Smuttynose.

roark

Had a Smuttynose Big A IPA. That's a beer that embodies everythingn an IPA should have, in spades. More hops than you can shake a stick at, really pronounced citrus smells and a fruity, orange flavor on the back. Pretty tasty, though filling, like many IPAs. Good stuff, certainly lived up to my expectations of Smuttynose.

Yup, that's a good one. IIRC their website lists details for the 'big beer' series- I think the Big A is just 2 row and a good variety of hops. So many new hop varieties have come out in the last few years... yum.

ctenidae

Yup, that's a good one. IIRC their website lists details for the 'big beer' series- I think the Big A is just 2 row and a good variety of hops. So many new hop varieties have come out in the last few years... yum.

Yeah, it listed 5-6 different hops, several of which I'd never heard of.

roark

I’m a big fan of McNeill’s Brewery in Brattleboro VT. Picked up the Imperial IPA the other day at the co-op. I’d never seen it before and BA didn’t have it listed.

Poured a rich amber hue with a very white, fluffy head. Aroma is mostly hops, but some fruitiness/esters like a warm fermentation or maybe just a more interesting yeast. Initial flavor is malt(?!?) and the fruitiness – but then the hops come alive. Full hop flavor quickly dominates. My suspicion is less of the hopping is early in boil, with aggressive amounts later. Certainly a different take on an Imperial/Double IPA than most breweries. Recommended.

One note of warning – McNeill’s bottling is the worst I’ve ever seen. Inconsistent fills, caps often not properly sealed. Inspect the bottle before you buy. Also: if you get it at the brewery their cooler gets blasted by the sun – grab a bottle from the back. Or better yet, just get a growler.

jjmcgo

Paper City Brewery

is the name of the Holyoke brewery and everything I've tried from them has been good, particularly the Ireland Parish Golden Ale.
Another favorite is the Long Trail Double Bag, a 7.2 percent alcohol brew.
If you haven't tried the Saranac Black Forest Lager, it is excellent. It's a type of German lager, not some caramel-colored and flavored phony.

Grassi21

Anyone try anything from Dogfish Head? I tried their 90 minute IPA. Besides packing a punch (9% alc) it is a damn good tasting beverage.

roark

Anyone try anything from Dogfish Head? I tried their 90 minute IPA. Besides packing a punch (9% alc) it is a damn good tasting beverage.
The 120 is a ridiculous monster, the 60 tasty and the 90 my favorite. Never had the 75. Raison D'etre is a tasty brew as well. They also make a 9% Pilsner called Golden Shower.

If I'm ever in Delaware...

Grassi21

The 120 is a ridiculous monster, the 60 tasty and the 90 my favorite. Never had the 75. Raison D'etre is a tasty brew as well. They also make a 9% Pilsner called Golden Shower.

If I'm ever in Delaware...

The 60 is next on my list. I found a great little liquor store 1/2 mile from my house that has a huge selection of beer.

I've really been hitting the beer hard since I eliminated soda from my diet. I love my Jack and Cokes but the calorie count was killing me.

roark

is the name of the Holyoke brewery and everything I've tried from them has been good, particularly the Ireland Parish Golden Ale.
Another favorite is the Long Trail Double Bag, a 7.2 percent alcohol brew.
If you haven't tried the Saranac Black Forest Lager, it is excellent. It's a type of German lager, not some caramel-colored and flavored phony.

I've had tehir "Summer Brew". Certainly the most interesting summer seasonal I've ever had... usually it's the blandest offering a brewery puts out. I'm have to keep my eyes open for more from them.

Double Bag has been an old standby since I moved back east.

Not a big fan of Saranac... they always seem weak/watery to me...

roark

The 60 is next on my list. I found a great little liquor store 1/2 mile from my house that has a huge selection of beer.

I've really been hitting the beer hard since I eliminated soda from my diet. I love my Jack and Cokes but the calorie count was killing me.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you might be surprised by the calories in beer. A typical 5% - 6% microbrew is usually around 200 cal. Higher alcohol beers will be more. 1 oz booze ~75 cal. I suppose combine that with regular coke and you're up a bit higher (depending on the ratio of coke/Jack).

Grassi21

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you might be surprised by the calories in beer. A typical 5% - 6% microbrew is usually around 200 cal. Higher alcohol beers will be more. 1 oz booze ~75 cal. I suppose combine that with regular coke and you're up a bit higher (depending on the ratio of coke/Jack).

Its usually more Jack than Coke, way more. ;-)

I'll have to watch my beer intake more carefully and supplement it with the occasional shot to keep the calories down.