• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

HD333

Perfect answer. I grew up in Westborough and will be visiting my grandma there in a couple weeks.

In a couple of weeks you may be able to score some Wormtown Be Hoppy. They moved into a new facility and word is they are going to start up distributing it, again, in cans in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IrekJanek

I'm not going to defend Zywiec, I will take Captain Lawrence over Zywiec, IMHO they make it bitter not and not hoppy. I'm Polish and I go there almost every year, and to tell you the truth there are a few new micro brewery beers that are worth a try. The main stream beers on the other hand are all either Becks or Heineken (the owners) and they lost their original character. BTW in recent years I tasted many american beers that are way better that I can find in Poland. Just saying.

Scruffy

I'm in antibiotic hell. Any good N/A Beers out there?

So far -
Becks N/A sucks.
Buckler N/A better than becks, but that's not saying much.

So far this one it the best N/A beer I've found. The head really Belgium laces like that. And, the taste is not objectionable, almost really good. If any of you beer affectionados find yourself on medication that does not allow alcohol, this might get you through.

erdinger_bottle.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Enjoying a post workout Sixpoint Resin. Very nice. Surprisingly drinkable for 9.1% ALC and 103 IBU.

I also dig that this comes in a six pack of 12 oz cans. I much prefer that configuration to the now very common four 16 oz can configuration.

Curious what others prefer.

drjeff

Enjoying a post workout Sixpoint Resin. Very nice. Surprisingly drinkable for 9.1% ALC and 103 IBU.

I also dig that this comes in a six pack of 12 oz cans. I much prefer that configuration to the now very common four 16 oz can configuration.

Curious what others prefer.

If you liked Resin, get your hands on their Hi-res if you see it! Still in the 12oz cans, but an even better DIPA if you ask me!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Picked up a six pack of Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin today. Bought it at a little gas station / general store in Hartland, VT called Mike's. They have a helluva a good selection of brews.

Mind you, I typically will never ever buy fruit flavored beers. I've always been a beer flavored beer guy and a coffee flavored coffee guy. This brew would be an exception to that. Really well done. Just a slight hint of grapefruit which mellows and adds a touch of sweetness to the piney hops.

Man do I wish Ballast Point wasn't so expensive. $15 a sixer is rough. I'd love to see them start packaging 12 packs of cans even for say $20.

Savemeasammy

I've always been a beer flavored beer guy

Agree.

My local grocery store's selection pretty much sucks, so since I've been working up in the upper valley recently, I bought a few six packs at the beverage king. Lagunita's Maximus (on a coworkers suggestion) and Stone IPA. I couldn't describe what they taste like - but they are both good!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Let us know how you think Substance stacks up to some other heavy hitters.

While I thought it was good it didn't wow me last time I had it.

On Saturday I swung by the brewery on the way home from Mt. Abram as it was a Swish canning day. While Substance doesn't live up to the hype, Swish definitely does. It's an exceptional Imperial IPA.

My only gripe? $17 for a four pack. Direct from the brewery. It's tough enough to stomach $13-$14 a four pack for some of VTs standouts. When it gets up over $15, I'm not likely to be a repeat purchaser often. I love great beer, but there's a limit to how much I'm willing to pay. It appears craft beer is trying to go the direction of the wine industry.

WoodCore

Now available in CT. Picked my first 4 pack yesterday. ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1425146128.390577.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

xwhaler

Just picked this up at a gas station in Richmond VT. Never heard of it before but quite good!

Attachments

• 1425162439210.jpg
    1425162439210.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 69

twinplanx

I picked up an Innis & Gunn 4 pack of Irish Whiskey Aged Scottish Stout. Hand Crafted Scottish Beer Matured With Irish Whiskey Oak Chips. At 3$ a bottle I took a chance...and I'm glad I did :)
7.4% alc/vol

Last edited:

prsboogie

Agree.

My local grocery store's selection pretty much sucks, so since I've been working up in the upper valley recently, I bought a few six packs at the beverage king. Lagunita's Maximus (on a coworkers suggestion) and Stone IPA. I couldn't describe what they taste like - but they are both good!

Two of my favorites, love SouthernTeir 2xIPA as well

xwhaler

Day off and hit Sugarbush this AM for 1st tracks. Now at Mad Taco having a Hill Farmstead "What is Enlightenment" Not a bad Monday!

Attachments

• 1425317520208.jpg
    1425317520208.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm enjoying a Founder's Centennial in a Can tonight. Had the bottle numerous times. I think I like the can better.

If I haven't mentioned it before, for those that travel 95 in NH, make a point to take the Seabrook exit and go to Cigarette City right off the exit. HUGE selection of beers and great pricing.

I grabbed a 12 pack of the Centennial for $16. 15 packs of their All Day Ipa are also $16. Saw Six Point Resin for $11. And they usually have 12 packs of Long Trail or Red Hook varieties on sale for $10.

zyk

Boulevard imperial stout. Perfect for a cold March night before a ski trip.

mister moose

Just discovered this thread....

Beers I have no use for:
Saranac. Just poor beer.
Sam Adams. Why bother, so much better stuff out there.
Magic Hat. There. I said it. Sure, #9 is OK, and their IPA tour was average good, but there's just too many disappointments. The last time I raved over a MH beer was 6 years ago.
Lefty's. I've tried 4 of their styles, and was disappointed each time. Apparently some of you like it, but.... meh. Not to be confused with Left Hand Brewing.

If your store only carries IPAs, or if your store only has one door of craft beer, then you're in the wrong store...

Hippie Chick, I feel your pain. Amber is an undersold style. Harder to find. Try finding Naughty Nurse (City Steam, just a a little spicy) Anderson Valley Amber, Full Sail Amber. Also look for toasted lagers.

Mini trends that are over rated:
Pumpkin ales. How many versions of a lame idea do we need?
IPL, or Indial Pale Lager. Like IPA, but... lighter. OK, the first one was cute, but who needs a light IPA? About as useful as a shallow powder day. Sure, I'll ski it, but why not go deeper???
Black IPA, Black lager. Thankfully in retreat. OK as a variation, but enough already.

On to the good stuff.

Previously mentioned:
Jack's Abby. Invented the IPL. Lots of hoppy IPA, highly hopped IPA, and rip your socks off IPA. Still, they have yet to really wow me.
Lawson's Sip O Sunshine. I like this more the more I drink it. Not as heavy, not as bitter on the finish, and more tangerine blossom. The last one I had was 2.5 months old, so maybe it ages well.
Heady Topper. Still outrageously good. Luckily there are lots of close competitors now. But nothing else has the juicy creamy blast of goodness that Heady delivers.
Second Fiddle. Yummy. Having trouble finding it recently.
Captain's Daughter Another worthy DIPA. A touch more bitter.
Wachusett Larry. Tasty, not top tier, but not top price either.
Wormtown. Their IPA is great, can't wait for their bottles to start showing up.

Recommended:
Berkshire Brewing Cabin Fever, a winter warmer with a touch of hazelnut. River Ale, a dark wheat, unique, flavorful, and worthy of searching it out.
Brewmaster Jack Hopiness is a Warm Pun. Out of Northampton, MA, a rising star.
Pretty Things Also Mass, I had a New Zealand hopped IPA that was outstanding. Unfortunately a limited run.
Black Hog Granola Brown. Simply a well balanced tasty brown. Oxford, CT.
Long Trail Their Farmhouse 12 pack is outstanding, both in price ($13.50 in Rutland Walmart, who knew Walmart had beer???) and flavor. This is a sampler of 4 IPAs and they are all good. White, American, Black, Session. Limbo is very good. And the flagship beer isn't bad either, although sometimes it tastes coppery to me.
Fort Hill. Easthampton MA. Excellent lager selection. They are putting out a mix 12 pack of 4 beers; a smoky rauchbier, a very good basic lager, an excellent boch, and a tasty marzen. They are saving $$ by using a generic labled can, the color of the pull tab tells you what beer is inside.
Tree House Monson MA Already a cult following, I hope to make the Pilgrimage soon. They just started to can.
Night Shift, Boston. They put the date right on the can and want you to drink it fresh. The Morph IPA was tasty.
Six Point, NY Everything they make is good. Not many brewers pull that off.
Avery Czar. An outstanding, unparalled Russian Imperial Stout. Colorado.
Bell's A Michigan brewery that isn't distributing in New England yet, but they are in NY and PA. I love their Oberon, a light summer beer.
Half Full CT Their Toasted Amber is great. Just like it sounds.
Baxter Maine. A good Stowaway IPA, and there is a 12 pack out with 4 selections. The previousy mentioned Phantom Punch is a good stout, and they just did a run of Window Seat, a coconut porter. Crazy, right? Their Bootleg DIPA was outstanding.
Harpoon. Definitive entry IPA, and I like their UFO series, especially the white. Their Winter Warmer is a great popcorn partner, and their 100bbl series is worth following.

Beer is just exploding in New England, and there is a lot of good new entries. I also made the trip to Hill Farmstead last month. Holy pot holes, Batman, are they ever out in the boonies! They were just named the best brewery in the world by Rate Beer for the 3rd year.

Last edited: