• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

Tin

Yes, Long Trail. Decent IPA, very malty. Kind of a Winter IPA.

Found it last night down here. Haven't tried it yet but I'm no LT trail, the packaging and the hope of finally a decent IPA got me. The store also had the Bourbon County brew from Goose Island, supposedly one of the best bourbon stouts around but $26 for a 4 pack was way too much (that's gas money up to Crotched and back for me). The guy said they were allowed to order two cases and one person bought an entire case. I guess I will just wait until next year.

ctenidae

Anyone going up I-91 on their way to VT - stop in Greenfield, MA (EXIT 26 for rte 2 West, but head East into Greenfield) and find Lefty's Brewery!! Great local brewery! Their Maple Ale, Maple Oatmeal Stout, chocolate Oatmeal stout, big breakie (bacon chocolate oatmeal stout) and Irish stout that I've had have all been amazing!! Buy a bomber (usually under $7!) If you're passing through the area!!

Do they give you a box of exclamation points with every bomber? ;)

HD333

Anyone going up I-91 on their way to VT - stop in Greenfield, MA (EXIT 26 for rte 2 West, but head East into Greenfield) and find Lefty's Brewery!! Great local brewery! Their Maple Ale, Maple Oatmeal Stout, chocolate Oatmeal stout, big breakie (bacon chocolate oatmeal stout) and Irish stout that I've had have all been amazing!! Buy a bomber (usually under $7!) If you're passing through the area!!

I will add this to my list of potential detours this season. Bacon Chocolate Oatmeal Stout sounds nice.

bigbog

...and I used to think traffic was made up of rafters and kayakers who tied 6packs onto the rafts during daylight hours..:roll:

skifree

captains daughter double ipa from grey sail out of westerly rhode island

very nice!

deadheadskier

Staff member

Grabbed a Lefty's IPA and Big Brekkie Stout while in that area last week. The stout is very good. IPA I can't really recommend. Its not a bad beer, it just has zero hop flavor. A blind test and you'd never call it an IPA. What it reminds me of is Switchback only much lighter/weaker. It would be a decent beer to enjoy on a hot summer day.

Price is definitely right at $4.99 a 22. Bought it at Table and Vine in West Springfield. I haven't been there in years. They do pretty well for craft beers, but wine selection and pricing is maybe the best I've seen in New England. Incredible.

soposkier

Having a Kind Ryed IPA from otter creek. I really like the beers in the brewmaster mikes series.

HD333

Grabbed a Lefty's IPA and Big Brekkie Stout while in that area last week. The stout is very good. IPA I can't really recommend. Its not a bad beer, it just has zero hop flavor. A blind test and you'd never call it an IPA. What it reminds me of is Switchback only much lighter/weaker. It would be a decent beer to enjoy on a hot summer day.

Price is definitely right at $4.99 a 22. Bought it at Table and Vine in West Springfield. I haven't been there in years. They do pretty well for craft beers, but wine selection and pricing is maybe the best I've seen in New England. Incredible.

Grabbed a Lefty's Maple Ale this weekend. Too sweet for me. I do want to give the Bacon Stout a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
Tipped back a few Flying Ryan IPAs from Long Trail today. Not a bad beer at all. And its my namesake beer.

Farleyman

If you like scotch ales... Royal standard by clown shoes is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
Finally got my hands on some Lawsons Sip of Sunshine IPA. I think I like it better than Heady Topper. Similar style, but a bit more drinkable.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was in Montpelier for work today. Hunger Mountain Coop gets their delivery on Thursday, but they still had a crap load today. 1 4 pack per person though. So I grabbed that, a 4 pack of Fiddlehead DIPA, a 4 pack of 14th Star Harvest Brown Ale and a 22 of Greenflash Imperial IPA

deadheadskier

Staff member
Okay. So I enjoyed a Fiddlehead Second Fiddle DIPA and a 14the Star Brown Ale tonight. I miss spoke last night. It was actually the A.DOG Brown I purchased.

Second Fiddle is very very good. Same quality as Heady and Lawsons. This really surprised me. Fiddlehead's standard IPA has been at every VT ski area I've been to this year. I've enjoyed it at Killington, Bolton, Smuggs, and today at Burke. Very good, but not fantastic. I think Long Trail Sick Day is a better standard IPA. So, the Second Fiddle really surprised me.

14the Star Brown is just your standard well made Brown Ale.

Heres the thing about the 14th Star though. They've got the a similar pretty pint sized can just like Heady, Lawsons and Fiddlehead with the $14-15 price to match per 4 pack.

I've got no problem dropping $15 on a 4 pints of great beer. I'm just starting to see a trend where any beer in that fancy can commands a high price. Opportunistic brewers so to speak riding the trail the Alchemist started.