• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TSA scans and searches

Geoff

is only good for road warriors. The people have the most trouble are the casual leisure travelers. Your grandmother for example.

They can X-Ray the casket all they want. She won't mind.

I think casual leisure travelers should have a special security line. They're the ones with gallons of liquids in their bag. They're the ones going through the metal detector with a Mister T starter set of gold chains. They're the ones milling around at the X-Ray machine conveyer belt while the machine sits unoccupied. They have a "expert traveler" security line at a lot of airports but you see senile 80-year-olds in it.

I was in Philly Terminal E at 3:00 on Wednesday. Only 3 of the 10 X-Ray machines and metal detectors were staffed. It was a 30 minute queue. I think the TSA should be held to performance metrics. 5 minute wait or all the people at the security checkpoint get fired.

dmc

They can X-Ray the casket all they want. She won't mind.

I think casual leisure travelers should have a special security line. They're the ones with gallons of liquids in their bag. They're the ones going through the metal detector with a Mister T starter set of gold chains. They're the ones milling around at the X-Ray machine conveyer belt while the machine sits unoccupied. They have a "expert traveler" security line at a lot of airports but you see senile 80-year-olds in it.

I was in Philly Terminal E at 3:00 on Wednesday. Only 3 of the 10 X-Ray machines and metal detectors were staffed. It was a 30 minute queue. I think the TSA should be held to performance metrics. 5 minute wait or all the people at the security checkpoint get fired.

this...

I may add that the xray line was moving VEEEEEEEEEEERY slow this trip..

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's my choice to fly and in making that choice, I choose to play by their rules. It's just not worth getting worked up over IMO. I am not the most patient person when it comes to crowds/lines either. But, ultimately I can make choices to not put myself in those situations.

As for the image of my nakid body. I've seen the pictures. You can't tell who the person is from looking at it. As far as I'm concerned they could send an image like that of me to every publication in the world, I really wouldn't care.

The full body pat down isn't only going on for air travel. Go see a show at the House of Blues in Boston. I will be there NYE. Depending on whether not they've improved how quickly the line to get in moves, I may or may not go back there. Plenty of music festivals I go to my car is searched from bumper to bumper. Heck for Phish at Saratoga last summer, they were searching and confiscating unopened beer from peoples cars. They said they were going to do that and it's exactly what they did. If you don't like it, don't go.

Don't mean to offend anyone who has an issue with the TSA screenings. I just really don't see it as that big of a deal. You're entitled feel how you want however.

dmc

It's my choice to fly and in making that choice, I choose to play by their rules. It's just not worth getting worked up over IMO. I am not the most patient person when it comes to crowds/lines either. But, ultimately I can make choices to not put myself in those situations.

As for the image of my nakid body. I've seen the pictures. You can't tell who the person is from looking at it. As far as I'm concerned they could send an image like that of me to every publication in the world, I really wouldn't care.

The full body pat down isn't only going on for air travel. Go see a show at the House of Blues in Boston. I will be there NYE. Depending on whether not they've improved how quickly the line to get in moves, I may or may not go back there. Plenty of music festivals I go to my car is searched from bumper to bumper. Heck for Phish at Saratoga last summer, they were searching and confiscating unopened beer from peoples cars. They said they were going to do that and it's exactly what they did. If you don't like it, don't go.

Don't mean to offend anyone who has an issue with the TSA screenings. I just really don't see it as that big of a deal. You're entitled feel how you want however.

No offense taken.. I don't expect everyone to see it from my point of view. For many of us that travel weekly - it is a big deal.. And it seems that this issue is getting bigger every day.

I don't want to be scanned(my choice) and I'd prefer to not have to endure a search that a cop can't perform without probable cause. But I have to.

I am super patient when it comes to travel - I give myself more then enough time to get to airports and am the guy with the smile on his face when the flight gets cancelled..

Again - I have no issues with my luggage being searched. You gotta see what they do to believe it.. It's pretty intimate..

deadheadskier

Staff member
and I'd prefer to not have to endure a search that a cop can't perform without probable cause. But I have to.

I'm not even sure where the line is for legality on searches anymore. The House Blues went over every inch of my body for the Disco Biscuits. Same goes for my wife. Airports often municipality owned with private airlines and then there's the TSA. Hard to say who has the ultimate say in how business is conducted including searches.

....I don't think there's an easy solution or defined right or wrong in any of this.

dmc

I'm not even sure where the line is for legality on searches anymore. The House Blues went over every inch of my body for the Disco Biscuits. Same goes for my wife. Airports often municipality owned with private airlines and then there's the TSA. Hard to say who has the ultimate say in how business is conducted including searches.

....I don't think there's an easy solution or defined right or wrong in any of this.

I think the people will decide this one.. :)

TSA came in contact with my junk a few times during the search.. From the front and back.. It was pretty humiliating. If they tried that at a concert I'd be pissed. Light pat down - ok.. But this stuff is just - wow...

If I could take trains - I'd do it..

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
They had a pretty indepth report on CNBC on the new scanning vs pat down yesterday. Since this is new plenty of the so called "expert" travelers had as much problems as anyone else. Underwear is where alot of people would hide stuff plus the crack of their ass so if they didn't inspect that on a pat-down, why bother.

CNBC had an independent scientist who tested the scanning eqiupment for radiation exposure and concluded that you get the same amount of radiation being scanned as you get from about 2 min of flying in the plane. Personally, I don't have a problem with either and I don't see it changing. From the agents perspective everything is recorded on camera so that keeps them on their toes and not going to far. Some airports want to change from fed agents to a private contractor.

It's not perfect, not all the airports have state of the art scanners which when scanned gives a picture that looks more like a pencil person than the more realistic picture the older scanners produce.

Did anyone else see the drone just unveiled by the Chinese. We owe a hell of alot on money to them(they lend us the money to cover the deficit) so we do have some leverage. If they do get in the wrong hands are drone air battles run by teenagers with joysticks just around the corner? :wink:

darent

I know security.. My last job i worked protecting database from "leaks" using encryption - I've worked on systems I can't even talk about. I couldn't even let my family know about some of the places i went.

just because it happens doesn't make it right. Would it bug me if my image was leaked and people could see the outline of my "junk"? You bet it would..

It is an emotional issue.. And I and many others that fly every week to make a living are standing up to this.. Including the Pilots Union..

is your"junk" that ugly ?.It's not like they have your name attached to the image and post it on the net. to bad you didn't spend time in school taking group showers or in the military. you might not be so sensitive about the scans, radiation would be more of a concern for frequent flyers.

dmc

is your"junk" that ugly ?.It's not like they have your name attached to the image and post it on the net. to bad you didn't spend time in school taking group showers or in the military. you might not be so sensitive about the scans, radiation would be more of a concern for frequent flyers.

It's really just about principal...

powpig2002

i'd be more impressed if deadheadskier had his tag tattooed on his junk. when i was a kid, i bought a pair of x ray glasses out of a comic book. boy was i bummed.

dmc

i'd be more impressed if deadheadskier had his tag tattooed on his junk. when i was a kid, i bought a pair of x ray glasses out of a comic book. boy was i bummed.

yeah... that and the submarine... Man was I bummed when I saw it was cardboard..