• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TSA scans and searches

Edd

This is lose-lose situation for the government. Are they threatening "liberty" or soft on terrorism? Pick your poison. Complaints will flood in regardless.

jaja111

I can't wait to see this thread get to 15 pages after the holiday. I think we know a sh&^st)rm is coming once the number of people "groped" grows to a yet unknown critical mass. Will it be this Thanksgiving? The coming Xmas holiday? or the next busy flying time?

deadheadskier

Staff member
This is lose-lose situation for the government. Are they threatening "liberty" or soft on terrorism? Pick your poison. Complaints will flood in regardless.

agreed 100%

I wonder if those who are so against these new TSA methods will sing the same tune if 1 plane goes down and 100 people die and it's determined a simple scan or pat down could've prevented that tragedy.

again, not everyone will agree with me, but I'll happily get in the nudey scanner if it means saving just one life.

Sharing cartoon photos of your genitals saves lifes! :thumbup:

;)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I wonder if those who are so against these new TSA methods will sing the same tune if 1 plane goes down and 100 people die and it's determined a simple scan or pat down could've prevented that tragedy.
I don't care if people are pro or con regarding this issue--this above question has amazing depth to ponder over. And it does not even matter if the scanner or pat down would have helped or not... if it goes away and a terrorist plot succeeds, you can guarantee that controls will only get even tighter in reaction as the 'what ifs' fly.

I also agree with DHS's comment that the pat downs seem more invasive than the scanner image. Personally, I don't see any problem with the images that have been leaked out per one of the recent links above. I think any TSA person scanning the images is going to be pretty clinical about it after about the 1000th image.

I wonder if they could turn up the "fuzz factor" just a little bit? Or even better, it would be great if they could automate an initial check via computer so for 99% of people, no image is ever even looked at by human eyes and only forward suspicious looking images to a high level TSA official? I dunno. Something to make people feel a little better about it.

NPR's On The Media had a great segment on this issue. Google On The Media and download the latest podcast for some stimulating discussion and Q&A on the topic.

I think the biggest argument against the scanners is that terrorists will resort to cavities for hiding explosives. Or as one of the link's above suggested, if you have a medical reason for needing a private screening, a terrorist could take advantage of a handicap situation and pack something somehow that way.

I think billski mentioned that since 9/11, the TSA has not foiled a terrorist plot yet. That is something to think about.

I appreciate the notion that by creating this type of situation, the terrorists have "scored a point" if you would. However, I say that is selling America short. This country has continued to have controversies involving laws and freedoms. Our constitution and bill or rights are written in such a way as to not provide definitive answers to these types of problems, but only a method for attempting to resolve the problem at hand. That this is even an issue for discussion and that we can disagree and besiege the government to change is awesome. The terrorists score no points in this regard, they don't have this type of freedom to openly and flagrantly criticize and oppose their government.

:flag:

I have yet to come to a definite conclusion and opinion on this issue. I see the points pro and con. In regards to the 4th Amendment, the key word is "unreasonable". Is this an unreasonable search? Limited only to ensuring the safe operation of aircraft known to be a desired terrorist weapon of choice? I don't know. Would certainly be a shame if it took the Supreme Court to decide that though. Regardless of pro or con, I suspect that this is going to be decided by the people--as noted above, this is really bad PR for both the TSA and the Government. There is already a massive populist revolt against... well, general undefined malaise. And this seems to be a great issue to unite both ends of the spectrum in perhaps the one thing everyone an agree upon. :lol:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I think billski mentioned that since 9/11, the TSA has not foiled a terrorist plot yet. That is something to think about.

While this is a curious statistic, the question we will never know the answer to is, how effective has this screening been as a deterrent? And at what point is there enough deterrents? The fact that substantial amounts of explosive made it onto a cargo plane is more concerning to me.

Hijacked planes in many aspects are very unique - they are human-controlled, guided missiles. Since 9/11 pretty much all people have thought about what they would do if confronted with a hijacker. Before 9/11 most had never even thought it could happen. The call to arms onboard would be great and sudden if confronted. Most people now days would be quick to notify the crew if they thought a passenger was behaving oddly.
The "thousand cuts" strategy concerns me much more.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ask your wife/mother/sister/SO if she feels the same way.

I know you are half-joking, but from what I've seen, women are much more opposed to either method than men are.
Some men like to strut around like roosters anyways.

had the conversation the other night at the dinner table with my wife and mother inlaw. Both think the cartoon images are harmless and would much prefer that than being groped. They are two of the most modest women you'll ever meet.

dmc

How about balance... Why does everything have to be black and white..

dmc

had the conversation the other night at the dinner table with my wife and mother inlaw. Both think the cartoon images are harmless and would much prefer that than being groped. They are two of the most modest women you'll ever meet.

Wow... OK... Of the most modest women I'll ever meet say so then it must be..
I back down.. :)

I've had the conversation with my Mother - she doesn't want to fly anymore..
She finds the pictures offensive and doesn't want someone touching her breast prosthesis from her bout with cancer.

dmc

While this is a curious statistic, the question we will never know the answer to is, how effective has this screening been as a deterrent? And at what point is there enough deterrents? .

At what point do they become a distraction...?

dmc

Ask your wife/mother/sister/SO if she feels the same way.

I know you are half-joking, but from what I've seen, women are much more opposed to either method than men are.
Some men like to strut around like roosters anyways.

I don't know - his constant comments of "cartoon photos" seems a bit belittling..

He seems to thing that it's more batman then real life..

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't know - his constant comments of "cartoon photos" seems a bit belittling..

He seems to thing that it's more batman then real life..

belittling????.........please

I've commented several times that you're entitled to feel how you do.

That doesn't change my feelings that the images are basically cartoons. There's no way of telling who a person is while looking at the images.

dmc

belittling????.........please

I've commented several times that you're entitled to feel how you do.

That doesn't change my feelings that the images are basically cartoons. There's no way of telling who a person is while looking at the images.

My opinion... sorry...
Your comment comes across as belittling to those of us that find this offensive....

skidbump

Im sorry but its like your standing there naked with complete strangers looking at you on a screen.Thats just not right.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My opinion... sorry...
Your comment comes across as belittling to those of us that find this offensive....

my comment is my opinion. You find my opinion offensive?

My opinion is the images look like cartoon characters.

o3jeff

I, for one, have no intention of flying anywhere tomorrow, because it's going to suck.

I have to laugh at the everyone choose the search thing tomorrow. I am pretty sure the TSA could care less if they have to feel up 10 people or 1000 and the time it takes, what are all these people that are making a statement going to do tomorrow when they miss their flights and have to try and find another flight along with spending more money on another ticket.