• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TSA scans and searches

Geoff

Hold a sec... do I understand correctly that not everyone is scanned? Only folks that are either randomly selected (well, that seems pointless) or those that set off the detector? I think the random thing sucks and is dumb, that is not going to deter any one and only suggests the possibility of profiling. But if only those folks that set off the first alarm are going on to the next scan or pat down, I say NO PROBLEM. I am 100% OK with these scans if they are primarily being used as an additional precaution when an initial detector is set off.

You understand correctly. Most people just pass through the metal detector. In the Supreme Court rulings about road blocks, everybody had to be treated identically. Selecting people at random for additional searches is unconstitutional. I think that if this gets challenged, it will be "everybody or nobody".

Dr Skimeister

My understanding is that with the new "pat down" regulations, the TSA is on track to handle more packages than UPS and FedEx this holiday season.

dmc

I had a brilliant million dollar idea last night, unfortunately about a month too late to make money- underwear with witty sayings printed in metallic ink that will show up on the scans. I'm thinking from the simple "Eat Me" to the obligatory Benjamin Franklin quote, there's a huge range of possibilities. Even two-parters for people travelling in pairs, with the opening of a joke on one pair of undies, and the punchline on the next.

Would have made millions, I tell you.

I've seen underwear with fig leaves in metallic paint to cover the junk for sale on the net..

Thats a bit further then I'd go with my "protest"... I don't actually want to get stripped or sent to jail..

bigbog

...Ok..:-D, but my indoctrination to journalists was in working for a media organization, "church" actually....some excellent journalists = their foreign correspondents, but some hardly deserved a job...and while they have one the incompetent ones often think of themselves as god's gift to society, hence the title doesn't exactly cut it...all the time..for people who've, at times, tried to work with them. I think one could see something like this coming on as soon as the Bush administration bent over to the ACLU over the topic of "profiling". Once you rule out common sense by use of our eyesight and brainpower = the topic got turned into a legal circus imho..

Last edited:

dmc

...Ok..:-D, fwiw...I think one could see something like this coming on as soon as the Bush administration bent over to the ACLU over the topic of "profiling". Once you rule out common sense by use of our eyesight and brainpower = the topic got turned into a circus imho.

Problem is - at least to me - is we're looking for bombs and not bad guys..

Bulges and not behavior.. I think it's OK to profile people based upon behavior and background checks..

HD333

A friend emailed me the solution:

Here's the solution to all the controversy over full-body scanners at the Airports:

Install a booth that passengers can step into that will not x-ray you, but will detonate any explosive device you may have on your body. It would be a win-win for everyone, and there would be none of this crap about racial profiling and this method would eliminate a long and expensive trial.

Justice would be quick and swift.

This is so simple that it's brilliant. I can see it now. You're in the Airport terminal and you hear a muffled explosion.

Shortly thereafter an announcement comes over the PA system, "Attention standby passengers. We now have a seat available on flight number 4665 .... Paging maintenance. Shop Vac needed in booth number 4."

gmcunni

From watching the news last night it appears the "Opt Out" campaign wasn't much of an issue.

watching the news - saw a guy strip down to his speedo to go through the line and you could hear everybody telling the guy to put his cloths back on... in another segment some woman wore a bikini and nobody seemed to mind.

dmc

From watching the news last night it appears the "Opt Out" campaign wasn't much of an issue.

I'm hearing they dialed down the scanners.. Not as many people selected so not as many to opt out. Which is great..

ERJ-145CA

Hold a sec... do I understand correctly that not everyone is scanned? Only folks that are either randomly selected (well, that seems pointless) or those that set off the detector? I think the random thing sucks and is dumb, that is not going to deter any one and only suggests the possibility of profiling. But if only those folks that set off the first alarm are going on to the next scan or pat down, I say NO PROBLEM. I am 100% OK with these scans if they are primarily being used as an additional precaution when an initial detector is set off.

That might be the case now but the TSA's intent is to eventually make the scanners the primary method of screening.

Geoff

4746d191-9f93-6c53.jpg

legalskier

Mark Ruffalo, 'terrorist'

Mark Ruffalo on terrorist watchlist
Mark Ruffalo, the Hollywood actor, has been added to a US terror advisory list after he promoted a documentary about the effects of natural gas drilling.
The 43-year-old year old actor was placed on the watch list by Pennsylvania's Office of Homeland Security after he arranged screenings for the "Gasland" documentary. The film won the special jury prize at this year's Sundance Film festival and chronicles how communities have been affected by a boom in natural gas drilling. In Pennsylvania the film, written and directed by Josh Fox, shows a resident who is able to set fire to his tap water.***

Ruffalo_1774138c.jpg

That's some good police work there, Lou.
:lol: