• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TSA scans and searches

dmc

I refuse the full body scan today..
not psyched about images of my naked body laying around and not going to allow myself to be irradiated 2 to 4 times a week.

The guy was not psyched when I opted out.. He also wasn't happy when I request a female to search me.. Then he gave me a nasty look when he ran his fingers up my "junk"..
And the whole staff hated it when the people behind me in line refused as well..

if a terrorist sticks something up there butt - will they start checking there too??

We gota learn from the Israelis...

Get ready for air travel this winter folks!

campgottagopee

I refuse the full body scan today..
not psyched about images of my naked body laying around and not going to allow myself to be irradiated 2 to 4 times a week.

The guy was not psyched when I opted out.. He also wasn't happy when I request a female to search me.. Then he gave me a nasty look when he ran his fingers up my "junk"..
And the whole staff hated it when the people behind me in line refused as well..

if a terrorist sticks something up there butt - will they start checking there too??

Get ready for air travel this winter folks!

Dude, I really don't no how you do it on such a regular basis, maybe you get used to it, but I for one can't stand the hurry up and wait process.

dmc

Dude, I really don't no how you do it on such a regular basis, maybe you get used to it, but I for one can't stand the hurry up and wait process.

It's the price i pay to live where I live and to do what I do...
I'm making good coin.. So I'm hoping to retire early..

But I am actually thinking about finding something else without travel... That would mean i'd have to move to NYC

drjeff

Like it or not, the TSA folks in the airports are just doing their jobs. Radiation wise, those scanners emit the equivalent of less than 5 minutes of radiation exposure that you get at altitude on that flight your about to get on. image wise, i'm guessing that you don't have anything that anyone else doesn't have, or that they've seen before. Unfortunatley it seems like this is just the price we have to pay these days for an attempt at security.

El Al wise, the biggest impediment to using that style system here is that El Al has roughly 1% of the take offs per day that the US airline industry has - so logistically that's a big issue

dmc

Like it or not, the TSA folks in the airports are just doing their jobs. Radiation wise, those scanners emit the equivalent of less than 5 minutes of radiation exposure that you get at altitude on that flight your about to get on. image wise, i'm guessing that you don't have anything that anyone else doesn't have, or that they've seen before.

TSA sucks... They are a joke... I know they have a job to do but I've seen some pretty crappy behavior by these guys.. I've complied with every damn thing they've asked since 911. And I've flown 100's of times since then...

But their snide comments and other things I've seen really piss me off.. .

Pilots refuse because of the radiation.. I am too..

I've seen the images that were save and released when they said they never would..

WWF-VT

I went through the scanner in Boston last week and didn't give it a second thought. This was before all the publicity and this week's news cycle.

campgottagopee

It's the price i pay to live where I live and to do what I do...
I'm making good coin.. So I'm hoping to retire early..

But I am actually thinking about finding something else without travel... That would mean i'd have to move to NYC

Don't get me wrong---I get it, and friends of mine do the same thing, but it's just so foreign to me. I fly once a year and think it's a big deal---guess I'm just sheltered to the "real world", and I'm okay with that.

dmc

I went through the scanner in Boston last week and didn't give it a second thought. This was before all the publicity and this week's news cycle.

Many of us frequent travelers are putting our foot down on this... When I went through one a couples weeks ago - I didn't know I had a choice..

It's getting out of control... This stuff is too reactive..

dmc

Don't get me wrong---I get it, and friends of mine do the same thing, but it's just so foreign to me. I fly once a year and think it's a big deal---guess I'm just sheltered to the "real world", and I'm okay with that.

It is a tough life... And I expect to burn out someday.. I burned out bad on my last job after starting a 2 week period in Seoul Korea then Bentonville Arkansas then Frankfurt Germany.. i could barley move for 2 days and just couldn't work..

If it wasn't for my family - I'd probably move to CO or Cali and do it from there... But for now.. It's what i do..

thetrailboss

Staff member

Where have you been? The Israelis have been strip searching folks before they get onto plans and doing many other things that you would argue "invade your privacy" for years!

Passengers are asked to report three hours before departure. All El Al terminals around the world are closely monitored for security. There are plain-clothes agents and fully armed police or military personnel who patrol the premises for explosives, suspicious behavior, and other threats. Inside the terminal, passengers and their baggage are checked by a trained team. El Al security procedures require that all passengers be interviewed individually prior to boarding, allowing El Al staff to identify possible security threats. Passengers will be asked questions about where they are coming from, the reason for their trip, their job or occupation, and whether they have packed their bags themselves. The likelihood of potential terrorists remaining calm under such questioning is believed to be low.

Critics of El Al note that its security checks on passengers include racial profiling and have argued that such profiling is unfair, irrational, and degrading to those subject to such screening. Supporters of El Al argue that there is nothing inherently racist about passenger profiling and that special scrutiny of Muslims may often be necessary for security purposes.

The airline was also criticized by the Hungarian courts for refusing to search luggage with the passenger present, acting against Hungarian domestic laws which stipulate that only authorized officials are able to undertake such searches. A civil case was brought to the Supreme Court of Israel on 19 March 2008 alleging that El Al's practice of ethnic profiling singles out Arabs for tougher treatment.

Let's also try not to let this thread turn into a political trainwreck.

Last edited:

mondeo

Like it or not, the TSA folks in the airports are just doing their jobs. Radiation wise, those scanners emit the equivalent of less than 5 minutes of radiation exposure that you get at altitude on that flight your about to get on. image wise, i'm guessing that you don't have anything that anyone else doesn't have, or that they've seen before. Unfortunatley it seems like this is just the price we have to pay these days for an attempt at security.

El Al wise, the biggest impediment to using that style system here is that El Al has roughly 1% of the take offs per day that the US airline industry has - so logistically that's a big issue
I'm just baffled by people who think a blurry outline of themselves is a bigger invasion of privacy than the guys in checked baggage rifiling through their stuff. It isn't even as big an invasion of privacy as removing my shoes. That tells everyone I have foot odor. The scanners have less detail than a mental undressing would. Except for the hidden weapons part.

In the list of added security measures over the last decade, this is the one that annoys me the least.

dmc

Where have you been? The Israelis have been strip searching folks before they get onto plans and doing many other things that you would argue "invade your privacy" for years!

I've been there - they asked me a bunch of questions..
Many people on my last job live there - never had a complaint..

Puck it

They do behavioral profiles on everyone. They have not had a security breach in 8 years. I would be pissed if my 16 daughter got pulled aside got a "ping" as Nappy called it.

dmc

I'm just baffled by people who think a blurry outline of themselves is a bigger invasion of privacy than the guys in checked baggage rifiling through their stuff. It isn't even as big an invasion of privacy as removing my shoes. That tells everyone I have foot odor. The scanners have less detail than a mental undressing would. Except for the hidden weapons part.

In the list of added security measures over the last decade, this is the one that annoys me the least.

It's the principal AND you can clearly make out images.. And some of those images have been leaked..

I've had my bags torn apart... Not a problem.. It makes more sense then a scanner..

dmc

Who said anything about politics??

Are you asking for trouble? thats not good moderation... And you guys were doing so well...

haha..

Puck it

It's the principal AND you can clearly make out images.. And some of those images have been leaked..

I've had my bags torn apart... Not a problem.. It makes more sense then a scanner..

I am not worried abut the people on the plane. What worries me is the luggage and the cargo that goes on. No printer cartridges now. What is next no toiletries in luggage at all. No cargo shipments on passenger flights. That will f up the airlines.

dmc

They do behavioral profiles on everyone. They have not had a security breach in 8 years. I would be pissed if my 16 daughter got pulled aside got a "ping" as Nappy called it.

yup... once again we agree.. :)

I read today that a woman got the patdown after she left a klenex in her pocket during the scan.. And was not happy when they touched her really private ares...

It's BS...

Puck it

yup... once again we agree.. :)

See, we do think alike and hell just froze over. Oh, that is just snowguns going.

:flag:

I agree totally. They do not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that will stop them from blowing up planes. A suicide bomber could kill more people standing in the security line on busy day then on a plane. Think about. And he would not even have gotten to the checkpoint.

mlctvt

If anyone's traveling on Wednesday the 24th be prepared. It's national "OPT OUT" day.There is going to be some serious airline delays. Google it.

We did a quick poll at the office. Many people said they will no longer fly until this is repealed.

Educate yourself on the backscatter Xray.
Plus the photos of scans have already been leaked.

dmc

I agree totally. They do not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that will stop them from blowing up planes. A suicide bomber could kill more people standing in the security line on busy day then on a plane. Think about. And he would not even have gotten to the checkpoint.

yup... In India they won't even let you in the airport very easily without a ticket..

Another thing that pisses me off is people that leave their bags unattended..
I've seen 2 today - I'm still at the airport - and no TSA person to be found.. And I looked..
People - stay with your bags.. It makes me really nervous..

update - they are now checking all the garbages and going around wiping peoples hands.... good one...