• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow Tires

bvibert

Staff member
I'm happy to hear all the good reviews for the Fireston Winterforce. I just mounted some up for my car, haven't actually put them on yet though.

SKIQUATTRO

an Audi R8 just pulled up next to me....Blizzaks mounted on it...he's ready for the snow...

〽❄❅

That's what I thought. And if he's got another car...why even take the R8 out in the snow? I'd park it for the winter if I had that much coin.
...attempt at recreating the "Down Hill Racer" fantasy being Robbert Redford over steering into snow banks zipping around alpine switchbacks with his schmoi riding shotgun in her Porsche!

Geoff

I'm at the tire dealer in Rutland having my Nokians put on the VW. They have the Firestone Winterforce here. It has some siping but nothing like the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 sitting next to it or the Nokian Hakka R. I'm sure it performs well in most conditions but it is unlikely to be as good on black ice where siping is so important. You can put studs on them which would make them superb but most flatlanders wouldn't want the road noise.

bigbog

〽❄❅;576081 said:
...attempt at recreating the "Down Hill Racer" fantasy being Robbert Redford over steering into snow banks zipping around alpine switchbacks with his schmoi riding shotgun in her Porsche!

An R8, with sized-down wheels? for Blizzaks. That's some winter car....yeah, that's the car brought to mind....

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I know that last video was a comedy clip but for real! Get some winter tires if you drive in snow country, already! Great stuff. Wish I knew about the differences and that they are worth the expense when I first started driving.

skijay

I like the second video, but the "beater" is a Subaru Legacy. He says at one part of the video, " the difference between the 2009 car and this 15 year old car is that it has snow tires." (around the 2:39 mark)

It also looks like it was equipped with the optional at the time, AWD. So we have a 2009 Corolla with crappy OEM tires and presumably a 1994 or 1995 Legacy with snow tires and possibly AWD. Not the best comparison. Watch the rear tires of the blue car around the 5:15 mark and forward, to me it looks like it does have AWD.

Geoff

The first video has the one I hear all the time. An Audi is wrapped around a phone pole and the driver still thinks he's invincible because he has AWD to go with his stock all-season radials.

The stock tires on my SUV are pretty agressive but they have no siping. A 6,000 pound car on black ice will go straight no matter what you do with the brakes and steering wheel.