• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Info

skibum1321

I was browsing the ski resort info and was looking at Stowe today. I noticed that the stats say no double diamonds - that's incorrect. Liftline, Goat, Starr, Lookout and National. That is 5/48 = 10.5%. Just thought I would give you the heads up.

skibum1321

Same goes for Smuggs. Liftline, Robyn's, Freefall and Black Hole (technically a triple but we'll round down for that one).

JimG.

Staff member
I think Stowe, Smuggs and MRG still use the old trail marking system...a single black diamond is used to mark trails that are most difficult.

Ah the old days when most difficult meant just that and you didn't need double or triple (dumb) diamond markings to ward off gapers.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm not sure if that double black diamond is to indicate out of bounds skiing or cat/heli skiing? :-? I don't know. Burke also has double blacks as well...

skibum1321

JimG. said:
I think Stowe, Smuggs and MRG still use the old trail marking system...a single black diamond is used to mark trails that are most difficult.

Ah the old days when most difficult meant just that and you didn't need double or triple (dumb) diamond markings to ward off gapers.
MRG uses single diamonds for all trails but Stowe and Smuggs definitely do not. The Front Four are all doubles as is Lookout. As for Smuggs, well they claim to have a triple diamond and Liftline, Robyns and Freefall are all doubles.

Upon further inspection of the pages, none of the resorts have double diamonds listed. Not quite sure why that is though.

Greg

Staff member
skibum1321 said:
MRG uses single diamonds for all trails but Stowe and Smuggs definitely do not. The Front Four are all doubles as is Lookout. As for Smuggs, well they claim to have a triple diamond and Liftline, Robyns and Freefall are all doubles.

Upon further inspection of the pages, none of the resorts have double diamonds listed. Not quite sure why that is though.
I do have double black designations:

http://skiing.alpinezone.com/resorts/detail.htm?resort=jiminy

Thanks for the updates, skibum. I typically go through the profiles over the summer and/or send links for them to the mountains themselves to confirm the data. I will pursue the suggested changes you made.