• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekly Sundown Night Skiing Gathering?

Grassi21

Greg said:
There may be a few instances where I head to the mountain right after work and get their before 6 pm so we'll be able to at least take a few runs.

Depending on what mood my boss is in, I'm going to try to do the same. If I'm in by 7 am, leave the office by 4 pm, geared up and on the lift by 5:30/5:45. I just received final approval from the wife on a weekly ski night. All she said was, "do what makes you happy."

Grassi21

That is what worries me a bit. If all goes well she will be carrying our first child. Once you factor in the hormones I could be in a world of S. I think she is more upset that she won't be able to ski this season and I'm trying to get 20+ days in.

BeanoNYC

Grassi21 said:
That is what worries me a bit. If all goes well she will be carrying our first child. Once you factor in the hormones I could be in a world of S. I think she is more upset that she won't be able to ski this season and I'm trying to get 20+ days in.

The more I get to know you, Grassi, the more I think we're alike. I'm having the same worries for the upcoming season. Of course, I already bought my ASC pass for 06-07 so I can justify the trips if need be. ;)

Greg

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
The more I get to know you, Grassi, the more I think we're alike. I'm having the same worries for the upcoming season. Of course, I already bought my ASC pass for 06-07 so I can justify the trips if need be. ;)
Set the precedence now, fellas. I skied 24 days last season and we had a 3 year old and a newborn (born in January, just like our first...). My wife was very understanding about my need to ski and I only had a couple weeks of total non-skiing. I negotiated several night skiing sessions in return for doing night feedings and such. It's all about balance. If kids will be in the picture next season, do all the skiing you can this season.

Grassi21

Greg said:
Set the precedence now, fellas. I skied 24 days last season and we had a 3 year old and a newborn (born in January, just like our first...). My wife was very understanding about my need to ski and I only had a couple weeks of total non-skiing. I negotiated several night skiing sessions in return for doing night feedings and such. It's all about balance. If kids will be in the picture next season, do all the skiing you can this season.

Good advice. I think the wife is just mad that we won't be skiing together this season. With the exception of three days over the past three years, we always ride the lift together. She is my ski buddy! :puke: lol, don't mean to get all sentimental on ya'll.

bvibert

Staff member
Grassi21 said:
Good advice. I think the wife is just mad that we won't be skiing together this season.

That was my wife's biggest gripe when she was pregnant two season's ago. Actually that was her bigget gripe last season too...

Grassi21

BeanoNYC said:

I'm locking in now too. I'm going to do a Savings Card at Sundown and a season pass at Butternut or Catamount. I think 50% off each Wed. night will be worth the cost of the card (plus the discount on weekends if I decide to stay local). The passes at Butter and Cata are so cheap that it would be worth it if I go every other weekend, or every third weekend as the wife progresses in her pregnancy. Being a "high" intermediate I'm having trouble investing the money and travel time needed for an ASC pass.

Grassi21

bvibert said:
That was my wife's biggest gripe when she was pregnant two season's ago. Actually that was her bigget gripe last season too...

We did group two group trips to Killington last year that were fun. But the most memorable days for us were at Sundown. We would leave the dogs around 8 AM at day-care (don't make fun of me), ski for 3/4 of a day, grab lunch at that little restaurant/bar in down-town New Hartford, and then pick-up the doggies and chill for the rest of the evening. The nice thing is that we are trying to move closer to both of our parents and will have child and dog care nearby for our ski trips.

Greg

Staff member
Grassi21 said:
I'm locking in now too. I'm going to do a Savings Card at Sundown and a season pass at Butternut or Catamount. I think 50% off each Wed. night will be worth the cost of the card (plus the discount on weekends if I decide to stay local). The passes at Butter and Cata are so cheap that it would be worth it if I go every other weekend, or every third weekend as the wife progresses in her pregnancy. Being a "high" intermediate I'm having trouble investing the money and travel time needed for an ASC pass.
Nice! Do some searches on Catamount vs. Butternut. Personally, I'd do Catamount - more challenging terrain, although less terrain. Butternut is a good cruiser mountain with a few more trails, and better grooming/snowmaking. Catamount offers more pitch and more bumps, and probably less crowded overall.

Greg

Staff member
ALLSKIING said:
Never skied Butternut but Catamount is a great little place. I would bet by the end of this year would would out grow Butternut.
Don't know about that. Butternut is a very popular family place. Ski it on MLK weekend if you want to see how crowded it can get. Great for beginners and they offer a great product for their core market: families and beginners. If you're looking for a bit more challenge, go to Catamount.

Grassi21

The difference in distance from Trumbull to either hill is negligible (if we move to one of the towns we are considering we will be even closer). I will most likely opt for the more challenging of the 2. My goal is to hit central or northern VT at the end of the season and be able to explore more of the mountain and challenge myself. Thanks for the info. guys.

loafer89

Greg said:
So it looks like the Sundown crew is now:

Greg
bvibert
ALLSKIING
2knees
loafer89
Grassi21
madskier6

Any other takers? All are welcome!

I guess that loafer03 will be making a few trips with me as well.:wink:

Greg

Staff member
loafer89 said:
I guess that loafer03 will be making a few trips with me as well.:wink:
You never know. So might loafer2B... ;)

Greg

Staff member
loafer89 said:
I am pretty sure that my wife and I have decided that one child is enough, but you never know.
I meant my loafer2B...

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
Nice! Do some searches on Catamount vs. Butternut. Personally, I'd do Catamount - more challenging terrain, although less terrain. Butternut is a good cruiser mountain with a few more trails, and better grooming/snowmaking. Catamount offers more pitch and more bumps, and probably less crowded overall.
It probably not an issue in this case, but it's worth pointing out that Catamount also offers night skiing, while Butternut does not.

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
It probably not an issue in this case, but it's worth pointing out that Catamount also offers night skiing, while Butternut does not.
That too.