• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekly Sundown Night Skiing Gathering?

madskier6

Greg said:
Don't know about that. Butternut is a very popular family place. Ski it on MLK weekend if you want to see how crowded it can get. Great for beginners and they offer a great product for their core market: families and beginners. If you're looking for a bit more challenge, go to Catamount.

Greg is right about Butternut and families (when is Greg not right about most things?). Butternut is where all my children learned to really ski well and we had some great family times there. Alas, we outgrew it, however, as the children got older (and better as skiers). Now we ski in Vermont as much as we can. I'd love to try Catamount though for the challenge.

I'm looking forward to these Wed night get togethers at Sundown. It will be a nice mid-week break from the usual insanity. Plus, I might bring one or two of my children with me on occasion, if that's allowed.

Greg

Staff member
madskier6 said:
(when is Greg not right about most things?)
Ha! that's funny. What? Are you looking for free tix or something... ;)

madskier6 said:
Plus, I might bring one or two of my children with me on occasion, if that's allowed.
Of course. See above. loafer89 will be bringing his little companion at times...

loafer89

If I could make a suggestion to you Greg, I would reccomend that you take your daughter to Mohawk as they have a carpet lift area with a short slope that is corraled in and safe from the rest of the mountain. This is where we taught our son to ski at 23 months of age and he picked up on skiing fairly quickly.

madskier6

Greg said:
Ha! that's funny. What? Are you looking for free tix or something... ;)

Not looking for anything free, Greg. After reading many posts, it just seems to me that your observations about certain ski areas are right on the money. That's all. I didn't mean that you're right all the time or that I always agree with your opinions. Just that you seem to know a lot about the attributes of various Northeastern ski resorts. That is a very helpful resource to have here, especially coming from the Administrator/Founder of AZ.

The weekly get togethers at Sundown this season should be fun.

Greg

Staff member
madskier6 said:
Not looking for anything free, Greg. After reading many posts, it just seems to me that your observations about certain ski areas are right on the money. That's all. I didn't mean that you're right all the time or that I always agree with your opinions. Just that you seem to know a lot about the attributes of various Northeastern ski resorts. That is a very helpful resource to have here, especially coming from the Administrator/Founder of AZ.

The weekly get togethers at Sundown this season should be fun.
Thanks for the kind words. I know a decent amount about the ones I've been to, I guess...

Greg

Staff member
loafer89 said:
If I could make a suggestion to you Greg, I would reccomend that you take your daughter to Mohawk as they have a carpet lift area with a short slope that is corraled in and safe from the rest of the mountain. This is where we taught our son to ski at 23 months of age and he picked up on skiing fairly quickly.
Thanks for the advise. Will have to consider Mohawk more now. Both Sundown and Mohawk are equidistant for us (about 25 minutes) so my girls should get a fair amount of exposure to these great feeder hills in the coming years....

loafer89

Mohawk has a program for 4 year old children as well, that they call Parents & Tots and it teaches the parent how to ski with their child. My son took a private leasson there because of his age. We liked the area because it was totally isolated from the rest of the ski area.

Greg

Staff member
loafer89 said:
Mohawk has a program for 4 year old children as well, that they call Parents & Tots and it teaches the parent how to ski with their child.
Now that sounds cool. I believe the Sundown Puffins programs encourages parents to tag along. After all, how are you supposed to know how to reinforce what the instructor tels them if you're not there? Abby is excited for winter!

Greg

Staff member
Brian and I took a hike around Sundown this morning. TR is HERE; Pics are HERE. It just got us more psyched for the ski season!!!

2knees

I was checking out your pics (very nice btw) and I was always under the erroneous assumption that was Barkhampstead Reservoir that you could see. You learn something everyday.

Greg

Staff member

Greg

Staff member
Cool! Under 3 months! :spread:

loafer89

I just sold my house today and we are going into contract this week, so it's looking real good for lots of skiing at Sundown this winter. I am now up here at work in Bloomfield four days a week and commute home with the ferry until our house is finished in December.

Last edited:

Grassi21

I just sold my house today and we are going into contract this week, so it's looking real good for lots of skiing at Sundown this winter. I am now up here at work in Bloomfiled four days a week and commute home with the ferry until our house is finished in December.

Congrats! Where in CT are you heading? We went the other route. We sold our house in Trumbull before finding a new home. We ended up in Southbury. Its 45 minutes from Sundown.

loafer89

We are building our home in North Coventry close to I-84 in a community of 52 planned homes. I am 40 miles and about an hour away from Sundown.

Grassi21

We are building our home in North Coventry close to I-84 in a community of 52 planned homes. I am 40 miles and about an hour away from Sundown.

That will be some change from LI. We considered the new construction route but didn't want to deal with temporary housing and our 2 dogs. Congrats again. I feel your pain. We close on Sept. 14. I can't wait until its over...

loafer89

That will be some change from LI. We considered the new construction route but didn't want to deal with temporary housing and our 2 dogs. Congrats again. I feel your pain. We close on Sept. 14. I can't wait until its over...

The best change will be that I finally live on the mainland for the first time in my life, and skiing will be so much easier to get to. Property taxes will be half of what I pay now and the new house will cost alot less than the one I just sold.

My father lives up here already, so I stay at his house until mine is completed and our closing date is not until November 15th, so we have time to finish our new home. I am just happy to finally leave Long Island, but not necessarily New York State.