• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NEWBIES: We need your feedback!

Greg

Staff member
The mods and I were browsing through the memberlist sorted by join date and noticed that not many of the new members that have registered in 2006 are posting a lot. Does anyone have any thoughts on why this is, or more importantly how to change this? Perhaps it's just a result of it being the typical slow time of year, coming off what is viewed by some as a bad ski season. It seems the more senior members are posting pretty often though. Our biggest concern is that some newbies may be feeling somewhat intimidated.

Therefore, we'd like to get some feedback from the newer members; i.e. anyone that has been a member for a year or less. Please respond to these questions:
  • Do you feel too intimidated to post here often?
  • Are you concerned about how a beginner level question will be received or responded to?
  • Are you simply more comfortable lurking vs. posting? If so, why is that?
  • Do you feel AZ members could be more friendly or welcoming?
  • Do you have any ideas for getting folks like yourself to post more often?
  • Are there any other changes you'd like to see here or do you have any other suggestions for the site in general?
Thanks for your feedback. It's greatly appreciated. I've always said that I want AZ to be a place where anyone feels comfortable posting and your feedback will help the mods and me acheive that. We welcome ideas and suggestions from the older AlpineZone members as well. Thanks!

Greg

Staff member
By the way, if you'd rather provide some feedback privately, feel free to PM me or another mod. Thanks!

knuckledragger

As a newbie I can say that it takes time to feel comfortable enough to post. It seems that I want to get to know whats going on or see what the dynamics of the group are. As far as topics if there is anything I want to talk about that is not already being dicussed I would not be afraid to start a new thread. I hope others would also.

hrstrat57

I am member of sno journal, TGR and Epic....lurk mostly on the first two, posted a lot on epic...too much I think so thus mostly lurking there now too. I expect I'll be pretty active here, I like the tone of AZ and eastern skiing is what I know best, so I think/hope I can bring some goods to the table. I want to feel out the group a bit more and lurk and learn before I post a lot tho....more out of respect than fear....

FWIW I would like to see more gear discussion here...I started threads and posted quite a bit regarding my experiences with new ski's this winter on epic (Volkl Allstar and Fischer RX8 ) and enjoyed the feedback I received there as a result of my sharing.....I am a gear addict, golf, tennis, guitars, ski gear you name it, I love my toys!

It appears that ski technique is a limited topic here, which is an attraction actually....always seems to turn into a flame fest....egos I guess. This forum seems less about ego and more about sharing....I haven't seen much sniping and what I have seen has been pretty clearly just fun. Moderation here appears top notch, ego free, fair and even handed.

So far I think AZ is just outstanding! I have been spreading the word

Last edited:

ChileMass

hrstrat57 said:
I am member of sno journal, TGR and Epic....lurk mostly on the first two, posted a lot on epic...too much I think so thus mostly lurking there now too. I expect I'll be pretty active here, I like the tone of AZ and eastern skiing is what I know best, so I think/hope I can bring some goods to the table. I want to feel out the group a bit more and lurk and learn before I post a lot tho....more out of respect than fear....

FWIW I would like to see more gear discussion here...I started threads and posted quite a bit regarding my experiences with new ski's this winter on epic (Volkl Allstar and Fischer RX8 ) and enjoyed the feedback I received there as a result of my sharing.....I am a gear addict, golf, tennis, guitars, ski gear you name it, I love my toys!

It appears that ski technique is a limited topic here, which is an attraction actually....always seems to turn into a flame fest....egos I guess. This forum seems less about ego and more about sharing....I haven't seen much sniping and what I have seen has been pretty clearly just fun. Moderation here appears top notch, ego free, fair and even handed.

So far I think AZ is just outstanding! I have been spreading the word

Nice. Thanks.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
hrstrat57 said:
Moderation here appears top notch, ego free, fair and even handed.

Yeah well. So much for the moderation here being ego free, anyway.

Can I tell you why I'm intimidated to post here Greg?

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
Wow. It seems like it's been a lot longer than 7 months to me since I joined. I never felt intimided by anyone. More in awe of the wealth of info on this board. I spent a lot more time reading, than I did posting, because most of the time, my questions had already been answered in older posts. There are very few online communities that entice me to come out and meet members face to face. AlpineZone meets have turned out better than I expected each time. I just wish there was a Hang Gliding board here too ;)

Just my 2 cents

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
I've only been posting since December, first as wclinch, then as ski diva (that witness protection program will do it every time!), so I guess I'm a newbie, too. I like the tone here. Everyone seems helpful and friendly and isn't afraid to make jokes. All in all, a great site for ski addicts like me!!!

Greg

Staff member
hammer said:

:blink: :blink: ;-)
Indeed. We'd like to get newbies (to either AZ or skiing) all posting at Marc-type levels...

:beer:

Greg

Staff member
Very true. You are indeed an anomaly, Marc... ;)

Sky

...to hijack the thread temporarily...AND maybe to "boost" newbies' participation, maybe we should start planning Hammer's 1000th post roast now (950+ and counting).

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
Greg said:
Indeed. We'd like to get newbies (to either AZ or skiing) all posting at Marc-type levels...

:eek: Please God NO!!!!

I can't keep up with the current posting level. If the sixty people who just joined in the last 30 days posted at his level we would have 345 posts a day from them.

2knees

Of the various sites out there this is the only one that i feel comfortable posting skiing topics in. the egos seem to be in check here and the ridiculous flaming is kept to a very small minimum, if at all. Additionally, even though alot of you know each other, it isnt overly "cliquey" The only thing i miss is more sports as far as "other topics" are concerned but when it comes to skiing, this is it. good job guys. BTW i know i joined in 04 but i only really started posting in february of this year.

SkiMangoJazz

I like the feel here so far, but am very new.

Did want to point out that noone even TRIED to answer the list of questions in your starting post Greg.

At epic I think it would be very different, particularly including mentions of how your questions are flawed :)

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
YardSaleDad said:
Wow. It seems like it's been a lot longer than 7 months to me since I joined. I never felt intimided by anyone. More in awe of the wealth of info on this board. I spent a lot more time reading, than I did posting, because most of the time, my questions had already been answered in older posts. There are very few online communities that entice me to come out and meet members face to face. AlpineZone meets have turned out better than I expected each time. I just wish there was a Hang Gliding board here too ;)

Just my 2 cents

YardSaleDad, you into hang gliding? Something I tried to get into a few years back, just too time consuming. Let me know if you're into it and if so where do you go. I tried Elenville, NY.