• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekly Wachusett Night Skiing Gathering?

Zand

We have a lot of those as well. Maybe we could just roll call whenever we go and see who shows up. Of course, this is still 6 months away.

awf170

I would be down for it most likely. How much of a zoo is wachusett at night? I think we should just pick the least crowded night. Probably monday or tuesday, right? Does wachusett have any sort of bumps set up?

Also, whats there policy on skinning? I would probably skin about 2 or 3 laps every time to keep in shape.

Last edited:

hrstrat57

wa wa

I'm about 1 1/2 hrs away(RI) so likely only Fri nite would work for me if nights it is.

Of course, things can chg in 6 months.

Sat or Sun morning would work too....use the AAA card deal and turn in the tix before lunch to get $5 back not such a bad deal. Not worth it for me to get a season tix Line gets more than 5 minutes long on w/e I am outta there.....first chair up at 7:45 get plenty of runs in a half day, well worth the drive.

I'll watch the thread. Hit wa a few times with mini gatherings of a couple epic bears this year, had huge great time....more would be merrier. There are threads about it on epic this winter...

BTW had a couple folks in the lodge at wa mention they were active on AZ before I joined. Didn't get their handles as I wasn't a member at the time...any idea who they were? I would have had a red Karbon shortie jacket on w black pants.....

Vortex

I'll send sky a pm on this. Great to see folks getting into hanging out. I would try to make it over at some point to meet some new people. Austin is correct. Monday and Tues are slower at Pats I would assume the same applies here.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good idea, re: Wa-wa night. Sky, Dozer, et al will probably be there.

And I did not know that a slow night existed at Wachusett...it's always nuts.

Sky

thetrailboss said:
And I did not know that a slow night existed at Wachusett...it's always nuts.

Sat/Sun AMs can be cool...1st chair till noon. Plenty of yo yo runs, eat in the Black Diamond (erraahhh...eat/drink).

Nights can be busy especially onc ethe school programs start (right after the new year for 6 to 8 weeks *sigh*). Thay are gone by 7 or so...then it's yoo yo runs till closing.

Skinning....hmmmm. I don't think they deny that, but you would need a "Lift" ticket anyway. I can check on that.

As far as a weekly event...Dozer and I race one night a week. That tends to suck up a decent portion of the evening (starts around 6:30...and goes till about 8....long lines @ the top of the course).

I can check with Wa on what nights are "less" popular with the school groups. I would start by guesing (as has already been done) that Mod/Tues would be a good bet. Thursday/Friday...can fool you. Friday seems to be slow for schools (teacher/chaperones want to get away for the weekend) and folks who ski Norht COuntry are en route by Firiday PM.

Regardless...things tend to slow way down after 7:30 PM.

Anyone interested in racing...let me know.

Anyone needing a season pass...I am a Group Leader which gets me access to the best ticket prices (and I get those better prices up through mid Dec).

So I'll ask Mgt about skinning now....but the "Best Night" info may have to wait till the fall

Sky

hammer

Isn't there a season pass at Wachusett that gives you unlimited night skiing? Does anyone know what the "breakeven" point on that pass would be?

My main concern would also be the crowd factor...if I have to drive 45+ minutes there and back, I'd like to make it worth the time...

thetrailboss

Staff member
hammer said:
Isn't there a season pass at Wachusett that gives you unlimited night skiing? Does anyone know what the "breakeven" point on that pass would be?

My main concern would also be the crowd factor...if I have to drive 45+ minutes there and back, I'd like to make it worth the time...

Think you're talking about the Century Pass. $199 I think. 5-6 nights to break even IIRC. Sky would know for certain.

And yes, Hammer DOES need to get out and ski with AZ! All those visits of mine at Pats and I NEVER ran into him! :wink: Time to come out of the shadows... :wink:

Sky

hammer said:

I have the same commute to Wa...45 dor to door...I'm on snow in about an hour after I leave home.

re: Unlimited night skiing.....Yes, all Wa's Century Pass deals (last year they followed the Bronze/Silver/Gold mode) give you 7 nights per week all season long (4PM till 10PM).

The cheapest pass in this category is under $200...I think it was $189 last year at it's best price...had to purchase by mid Oct...went up $20 until Mid-Dec (for "Groups" anyway..it's about $20 more for non-group members and the deadlines are earlier...no big deal to be "in" a group....5 or more people constitute a "group"...and your welcome to be in mine). In addition to 7 nights per week all season long, you get weekdays (non-holiday/non-vaca) so you can play hooky for a morning and get your "fix".

The next pass is the Silver which gives you weekends pre Chistmas and post Feb. It's about $60 more than the Bronze.

Gold is a full on 100% access pass. I never consider this pass...so I can't tell you what it costs...sorry. I thnk it's in the $450 range though.

AS FOR BREAK-EVEN point...it's SIX trips ball park. Wa has decent breaks...or they used to.....All Day, 1/2 Day, 4 til closing, 6 til closing....lower mountain only (beginners slopes). But for planning purposes...figure 6 trips to make buying a pass worth your while.

What I like about having the pass is...I'll go for a few hours...and enjoy the later hours and less crowded slopes. But if I bought a lift ticket every time...even if the pricing worked out to be reasonably the same...I'd balk at the thought of not getting my $ worth. It's a mental thing.

awf170

Sky521 said:
Nights can be busy especially onc ethe school programs start (right after the new year for 6 to 8 weeks *sigh*). Thay are gone by 7 or so...then it's yoo yo runs till closing.
Yuck. I truly can't stand crowds. How are they compared to lets say a weekend day at K-mart.(I'm talking about how crowded the trails are not the lifts)

Sky521 said:
Skinning....hmmmm. I don't think they deny that, but you would need a "Lift" ticket anyway. I can check on that.
I know I would need a ticket. Thanks for checking it out for me. If I remember correctly it is public land so they can't deny it, but I may end up getting run over by some crazy kids.:lol:

Sky521 said:
I can check with Wa on what nights are "less" popular with the school groups. I would start by guesing (as has already been done) that Mod/Tues would be a good bet. Thursday/Friday...can fool you. Friday seems to be slow for schools (teacher/chaperones want to get away for the weekend) and folks who ski Norht COuntry are en route by Firiday PM.
Alright cool. I'm pretty sure any night would work for me so that would be awesome if you could figure out the least crowded is.

Sky521 said:
Regardless...things tend to slow way down after 7:30 PM.
Cool, that would leave me with a solid 2 hours of good yo-yoing.

Sky521 said:
Anyone interested in racing...let me know.
I might be. I'll probably pm you closer to ski season. Does it matter if I never raced and will totally suck?

Sky521 said:
Anyone needing a season pass...I am a Group Leader which gets me access to the best ticket prices (and I get those better prices up through mid Dec).
Thanks. Once again I'll probably get back to you in fall about this.

Thanks a lot Sky.

Anyway, so what was the deal with moguls?

Zand

The moguls at Wachusett suck 95% of the time. You have to get to them right when they seed them because they're dead after a day or two. They only re-seed them every 2 or 3 weeks.

As far as crowds go, Monday night is probably the least crowded, but they're all pretty nuts until 7. Lift lines are up to about 5 minutes on a normal night and the trails aren't too bad. I went twice last year when lines were near 20 minutes, both Friday nights. From the webcam's point of view, it almost looked dead on weekends. IDK is it was just a false perspective or something, but maybe it's a good thing. I'll have to check it out on a Saturday night this year.

I know there's someone there that's from here almost every night. I'm up there about 2-3 times a week.

Sky

awf170 said:
Yuck. I truly can't stand crowds. How are they compared to lets say a weekend day at K-mart.(I'm talking about how crowded the trails are not the lifts)

[Couldn't tell you...never been to K enough to judge]

I know I would need a ticket. Thanks for checking it out for me. If I remember correctly it is public land so they can't deny it, but I may end up getting run over by some crazy kids.:lol:

[re: buying a ticket...sorry...truth in lending got me there. As for "public" land...yes and no. Wa leases it fromthe stae I guess....so you can't skin all over the backside or even in the woods on the front. On the back...the state (allegedly) will prosecute, on the front...Wa will enforce. Old Growth Forest and "Stewardship" issues at play]

Alright cool. I'm pretty sure any night would work for me so that would be awesome if you could figure out the least crowded is.

Cool, that would leave me with a solid 2 hours of good yo-yoing.

I might be. I'll probably pm you closer to ski season. Does it matter if I never raced and will totally suck?

[re: totally suck...that was me last year pal. No worries. I dropped 9+ seconds off my time through the season though. Easy course, but "technical".]

Thanks. Once again I'll probably get back to you in fall about this.

Thanks a lot Sky.

Anyway, so what was the deal with moguls?

[Zand got you the info...Marc "experienced" them last year. He can also give you some feedback

Sky]

awf170

Zand said:
The moguls at Wachusett suck 95% of the time. You have to get to them right when they seed them because they're dead after a day or two. They only re-seed them every 2 or 3 weeks.

Dear god, does this mean that I will have to try to entertain my self with the terrian park instead.:-o Or would just watching marc be a fool entertain me enough?:razz: Marc you have to get some touring stuff so you could join me in the fun of skinning up the hill while kids almost run you over and everyone else gives you the look of "why that they hell is he doing , and why is he doing it when there is a lift right there?" I wonder how many times I will get the questions, "what on earth are you doing?", "why are you doing that?" "is that carpart on the bottom of your skis?", "aren't skis meant to go downhill?", or "are those them new fritschi(pronounced horribly wrong) bindings":lol:

madman

I find that sunday nite is almost never crowded, It can make monday suck more than usual but its worth it. It is my daughters last year of high school and I promised her season passes ,so if you pick a nite we will come

Vortex

madman said:
I find that sunday nite is almost never crowded, It can make monday suck more than usual but its worth it. It is my daughters last year of high school and I promised her season passes ,so if you pick a nite we will come

Also can extend your weekend. When we go Monday nights it seems like Monday is still part of the weekend.

Zand

The thing Wawa is good for is good honest cruising. No straight shots down the mountain, except for the race trail so all the trails have curves in them. It's a good place to just go to after work or school and just rip some nice GSs for a while.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Zand said:
The thing Wawa is good for is good honest cruising. No straight shots down the mountain, except for the race trail so all the trails have curves in them. It's a good place to just go to after work or school and just rip some nice GSs for a while.

It is what it is. Nothing wrong with that. Better than the alternative which is no skiing.

hrstrat57

Zand said:

yeah it is, esp hitchcock (when it isn't turned into a terrain park) ain't nothin wrong with wa for gettin em on edge .....

this turns into a regular gathering that would be a good thing.....