Northeast & New England Ski Resort and Ski Area Locator Map - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks Beano, good to know about safari.
    Brian

Some comments

Nice job. Gotta love Web2.0 apps. great way to present the data.

for early season skiers, can you color the peaks ?
    red - closed
    yellow - partially open
    blue - fully open
    or something like that ?

it would also be useful if you included a summary of current weather conditions from NWS - they have an API to grab weather info for mashups.

One comment - there was significant latency in the initial load and update - maybe due to the variety of sources being queried. Can the presentation update be done as each query is completed rather than when all are complete ? This way - you can see the data appearing.

Unhappy

May not work for older systems.

Clicked on Vermont.
    Got a warning saying a script has stopped responding, with choice of stop script or continue. Tried continue 3 times, then stop script. Got a map with lots of ski areas, but none in Vermont.

Using Firefox on a Win98SE system.

Luckily, I don't need a map. I just walk outside.
    Look! Up in the sky!

Wink

OK, tried it again with a lot more patience.

Still get the script errors. This time I clicked Continue 4 times and it did work. Then all seemed to work ok. I'll have to try it again when some of them are open.

Clicking Vermont, shows New England, and places are too close. I think it would be better to have one state, more spread out.
    Look! Up in the sky!

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone View Post
    OK, tried it again with a lot more patience.

Still get the script errors. This time I clicked Continue 4 times and it did work. Then all seemed to work ok. I'll have to try it again when some of them are open.

Clicking Vermont, shows New England, and places are too close. I think it would be better to have one state, more spread out.
    Thanks for the feedback. That's probably because the code uses Javascript, which relies on your computer/browser to do the processing. There are a lot of data points so it may take longer than the timeout on slower systems.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tjd View Post
    One comment - there was significant latency in the initial load and update - maybe due to the variety of sources being queried. Can the presentation update be done as each query is completed rather than when all are complete ? This way - you can see the data appearing.
    I'm not sure if there is a way to do that using the Google Maps API. That's a good idea though.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I'm not sure if there is a way to do that using the Google Maps API. That's a good idea though.
    Actually, there is. It may require a lenghty re-write though... I'll look into it...

Brian

Thread Information