• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A few more demo'ed

Rushski

After demoing more strictly carvers in March, I decided to try some wider all-mountain skis last Friday at Loon through Ken Jones (Concord store, I believe).

First, here's last seasons post for comparison:
http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php?t=73392&highlight=2011+demo

Me: 6'0" about 210#. Level 7-9 depending on the day.
My quiver - Fischer RX8 170cm, Blizzard Titan 8 175cm, Salomon Crossmax 10 165cm (rock days).
Tecnica Dragon Slayer, brand new boot.

Conditions were dust on crust, groomed surfaces. Pretty easy skiing in general, a few slick spots but not bad at this time of year. A few trails off the Kanc quad, above the Governor lodge where the demo tents were set up. Mostly lapped Lower Picked Rock and then Rumrunner to keep reviews consistent. Only exception was when I took a wrong turn and ended up heading up the gondola where I just followed Upper Picked Rock down.

Skis:
Blizzard Magnum 7.6, 175cm. Narrowest ski I tested as the 8.1 was out. Very good all around ski, which felt good in all turn shapes. Not as grippy and demanding as the G Power model I had tested in March. Probably could be the ski for anyone, doing anything on the mountain.

Fischer Motive 80, 168cm. Would have liked the 175 length but it was out and didn't want to try the 182. Felt really solid, even if it isn't a titanium ski. Again all turn shapes are easily done. 168 was plenty of ski and stable.

Dynastar legend Sultan 85, 175cm. Almost like a broken record, even though wider than the first two, felt pretty good doing whatever I felt like on it. Believe there is some rocker as it seemed to ski shorter than it was. Felt good and would be good for some fresh with the width and lightness (other than the seemingly heavy Looks on this pair).

Salomon Enduro, 182cm. A good deal of rocker on this ski that I wasn't sure I would like the length of. Solid, wood and titanium ski. Again the rocker maked this ski certainly ski shorter than it was. One of the shop guys thought it was a tough, stiff ski but I didn't think it was too bad. Not light or subtle but not a truly demading ski - IMO.

Rossignol Avenger 82 Carbon, 177. As a friend of mine calls them the "schhol bus" skis. Very turny ski with some snap to them. Again, stable and decent all-mountain ski.

Not terribly detailed as it seems the recent few years have seen some excellent all-mountain skis that would have been considered powder skis a few years back are now very versatile, stable skis. Any of these skis would be good for any decently skilled skier.

wa-loaf

Salomon Enduro, 182cm. A good deal of rocker on this ski that I wasn't sure I would like the length of. Solid, wood and titanium ski. Again the rocker maked this ski certainly ski shorter than it was. One of the shop guys thought it was a tough, stiff ski but I didn't think it was too bad. Not light or subtle but not a truly demading ski - IMO

I tried these out last spring and really liked them. They are on my short list for a mid-fat if I go that route.