• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 1/27 - 1/28 Storm Discussion Thread

Greg

Staff member
The local weather guys (WTNH, New Haven) are now calling for up to 16" for inland CT. Let's use this thread to keep each other informed as this snow event unfolds.

Greg

Staff member
Yeah, but none of those were 'official'... ;)

skijay

I have been waiting since 12/18/03 to try out my snow tires, this storm better not miss us!!!!!!!

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
Even though I have no basis in fact on this topic, I have the general feeling that this low is going to move farther north than predicted. The reason that it would not move farther north is due to the arctic high pressure. It is forecasted to be -12 in Concord, NH tonight however; unless it drops 26 degrees from 9 o'clock it will not reach that temperature. Therefore that means that the arctic high pressure is diminishing quicker than the meteorologist/models think that it is going to. Which means that the track of the low will move farther north. With this thought I believe that Southern NH will bear the brunt of this storm. I'm sticking with my original prediction of 12-16 inches for the Sunapee ragged region. You all probably think I'm crazy going against 6 different weather channels, but just wait and see.

porter

ps this happened with the storm that dropped 52 inches in pinkham notch. They were only supposed to get about 8, when the low moved fartehr north and pentrated the cold air. They ended up with 8 times the snow predicted. I'm not saying that is going to happen this time, I'm just saying that the low will move farther north to hit southern NH instead of southern mass

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
One other update,

Ya I would say from about Tenney in NH and Killington in VT, a good chance of greater than a foot will fall. Just based upon tonights current temperatures. Should be exciting can't wait to see what happens.

Also there is a temperature inversion, where Mount Washington is 14 degrees at this hour. This also means that the arctic high is retreating.

All good news from here.

porter

O

oldhippie

Snow Storm!!

Yahoo!!!

Yahoo!!!

Yahoo!!!

it's gonna SNOW!!

Yahoo!!!!!

Joshua

well, there could be lots of reasons your temps aren't dropping, im guessing its cloud cover...

in terms of 55 inches, not a chance with this one

in terms of best bet on heavy snows...ill put my money on points south of Southern VT AND NH .....with the east side of the berks doing nicely from enhancement and high liquid snow ratios, the NW hills of CT for the same reasons...

a good 8-14 for most of Southern New England is a great bet...

Enjoy

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I just want some snow!!!!!!!!!

I have been sick with the flu and a sinus infection for the past couple weeks so I haven't really gone skiing (I did on 1/17, I thought I was better but I wasn't). I am hoping for a BIG DUMP. A No School day really isn't that important to me since I missed from the 15 til today (don't forget, one day there was no school because of the cold and then we had MLK Day so I actually only missed 5 days.)

It's great to feel better! Now bring on the SNOW!!!!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Not yet ... give me one more day! I have to drive up from Boston to Milan, NH to pick up my Outback from the auto body, and I do not want to be doing that in a rental car in a snowstorm!

But after that, bring it on. My sled needs to be tested.
:D

O

oldhippie

Big dump here

It looks like the heavyest hit will me north central Mass. My house.. and Mt Wachusett is going to get a whopping 24 inches of heavy snow.

...I hope. :p

R

RJ

I hope, no pray, that you are correct Salida. I am so tired of these costal storms. NH needs a huge dump for the skiing to improve.

Greg

Staff member
We're now expecting 10 to 14 inches at my house and up into the Berkshires. There's also some rumblings about snow for Friday/Saturday. Could be a great day at Jiminy on Sunday!

Had a little dusting this morning. I'm ready. Bring it on! :)

Joshua

newest guidance suggest a lower amount total for the storm, especially south of the vt/nh border, i doubt vt or nh will see a lot out of this one....maybe not even winter storm warning criteria

Greg

Staff member
It sure is taking some time for this thing to get going. I wonder if it'll be a bust...

KBL Ed

Joshua said:
newest guidance suggest a lower amount total for the storm,
That always seems to happen when they are giving storm warnings 3 days before the storm even starts. :uzi:

Greg

Staff member
7:35 PM. Based on the radar, it's on our doorstep, but still nothing yet. :( Totals have been reduced to 6-12" and now they're saying this storm will be intense, yet quick. So much for all the hype...

pepsi

Well the flurries just started here. A mere 9 hours after they sent the kids home from school early due to the approaching storm. :D