• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

photo editing question

gmcunni

anyone know of a freeware package that will allow me to superimpose a date (or any text for that matter) on a JPG?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Have you tried Gimp? I haven't used it in a while but I think you could do that with it... Or if you only need to do this once, you could always download the Photoshop CS5 30-day trial.

bvibert

Staff member
Irfanview is a pretty useful freeware image editor. It will let you put text on a JPEG, but AFAIK there's no way to apply the same thing to a batch of pics. You'd have to do it manually to each pic.

EOS

Gimp.

I don't use it myself, but have friends that love it.

gmcunni

Irfanview is a pretty useful freeware image editor. It will let you put text on a JPEG, but AFAIK there's no way to apply the same thing to a batch of pics. You'd have to do it manually to each pic.

DOH! use it all the time for viewing, forgot it also had editing capabilities. worked perfect, thanks!

gmcunni

another quick question . can someone tell me how to do this edit or at least what it is called so i can google for it?

167842_1767015853142_1171555517_2061908_6106864_n.jpg

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
That would be a layers project... I don't have any experience in doing them but you'd have to deal with merging multiple shots. The Canon enthusiast forum photography-on-the.net could probably point you in the right direction as they do those often.

gmcunni

That would be a layers project... I don't have any experience in doing them but you'd have to deal with merging multiple shots. The Canon enthusiast forum photography-on-the.net could probably point you in the right direction as they do those often.

thanks SEV. will look it up. but do you know, is it still shots done in burst mode or is it a video that is somehow "chopped up" (like my technical term)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You'd set up on a tripod and yeah, burst shots pieced together. You need the tripod to keep the background the same. It can be done hand-held, but its harder to line up everything.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
A lot of cameras do the image processing for those burst shots on-camera these days.
I have one that does. Samsung TL-350. On the high end of the P&S market. The feature sucks. I was really surprised how bad it is. You need the right conditions for the camera to process everything correctly. Sev's suggestion of a tripod and merging multiple layers is totally the way to go.