Uconn women and the streak

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Uconn women and the streak

Living in ct, its impossible to turn on a TV or radio and not hear about this. I take nothing away from what they have accomplished and I am admittedly not a fan of women's hoops at all, but I can't see how you can compare the UCLA streak and this one in the same sentence. To me, you might as well be comparing chess and football. thoughts?

John Wooden said recently that he thought the best basketball being played right now was at the collegiate level and it wasn't the men.

I'm not a fan of college women's hoops, but many are, especially older folks like my parents.

I can care less about sports in general, but it is a streak and an accomplishment, just saying....
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    I can care less about sports in general, but it is a streak and an accomplishment, just saying....
    its "just sayin...." you have to drop the g, G.

"What UConn has done is important and significant on its own merit. All this talk about comparison to Wooden's UCLA men is just silly. It's not about women vs. men, it's about basketball. Both teams beat their respective competition night in and night out.'' - Former UConn guard Diana Taurasi, the 2002-03 national player of the year.

To me it doens't matter what sport, what gender or what have you---89 of anything in a row is a lot, so congrats go out to the UCONN Womens team.

Wait, what?? I haven't heard anything about this???
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by 2knees View Post
    but I can't see how you can compare the UCLA streak and this one in the same sentence. To me, you might as well be comparing chess and football. thoughts?
    You beat me to it. Its not the same game or same level of compitition. For years now there have only been a very small handful of top women's teams, the rest of the women's schools just can't compete........Its actually kind of a joke. In Men's ball anyone one of the top 25 can beat any other on a given day regardless of rank or record.

great accomplishment and they should be proud, BUT...outside of CT, and women's sports enthusiasts, nobody really cares...and the media is force-feeding this story to an indifferent public

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    John Wooden said recently that he thought the best basketball being played right now was at the collegiate level and it wasn't the men.

I'm not a fan of college women's hoops, but many are, especially older folks like my parents.
    That's completely true! The modern women's game, especially when played at a high level, does have a ton of similarities to basically the "pre Dr J" era of basketball. Where the game was played "below the rim" and was about crisp passing, motion away from the ball being just as important as that around the ball, and a generalized lack of ego and a constant stressing that what all 5 people on the floor for the team matters every play. For the basketball "purist" the modern men's game, while often athletically spectactular to watch, is more about entertainment than just playing basketball, and some folks prefer athletics to entertainment with respect to their basketball
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

'17 - '18 Season:
    November: 12,18,19,24,26 (Mount Snow)
    December: 2,3,10 (Mount Snow) 9 (Stratton)

Thread Information