• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Uconn women and the streak

Mullen

89 in a row is a great achievement, men's or women's who really cares.

I just think it's sad for that sport that not one team could beat them in 89 games. It's pathetic. There are maybe two or three good teams every year.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
89 in a row is a great achievement, men's or women's who really cares.
+1

I don't watch sports and haven't seen a single game, but it's an accomplishment to win 89 in a row of anything. The odds are so against it...

(And now I'll be lynched by my fellow UCONN classmates for admitting I didn't watch any of the games... :eek:)

deadheadskier

Staff member
funny how many college fans dont like the NBA and vice versa. I love college hoops but only watch the NBA when the Celts are in the playoffs.

for me, there are a few reasons I dont follow college sports

- outside of the Flutie years there was zero compelling reason to follow any local college team in any sport. UCONN's rise in basketball didn't occur until I was like 20.

- there are too many teams to follow nationally and the players turn over like every 2 years. It's been great watching Pierce and Brady in Boston for over a decade.

drjeff

for me, there are a few reasons I dont follow college sports

- outside of the Flutie years there was zero compelling reason to follow any local college team in any sport. UCONN's rise in basketball didn't occur until I was like 20.

- there are too many teams to follow nationally and the players turn over like every 2 years. It's been great watching Pierce and Brady in Boston for over a decade.

UCONN is doing pretty well athletics wise right now to say the least. The women's hoops team - already been covered here. The Men's hoops team, currently undefeated and ranked #4 in the country, thefootball team - Big East Champs and playing in the Fiesta Bowl on New Years Day - Go Huskies

2knees

thefootball team - Big East Champs and playing in the Fiesta Bowl on New Years Day - Go Huskies

very much to the chagrin of AD's and beat writers across the country.....

i wonder what will happen when the automatic BCS bids expire in 2012.

powhunter

Living in ct, its impossible to turn on a TV or radio and not hear about this. I take nothing away from what they have accomplished and I am admittedly not a fan of women's hoops at all, but I can't see how you can compare the UCLA streak and this one in the same sentence. To me, you might as well be comparing chess and football. thoughts?

When the F are we going skiing???????

steveo

campgottagopee

fair enough. I grew up outside of Boston as an NBA fan watching Bird with my dad as a kid. It's tough to watch the college game after watching NBA as it seems many teams hold the ball forever. That was definitely the case in the final 4 last season.

The play defense in college, so to some I can see how it would appear that they are "holding the ball" when in fact they're just trying to penetrate/find a shot. Defense is NOT played in the NBA so it's nothing but fast breaks and uncontested 3-point shots.

MR. evil

very much to the chagrin of AD's and beat writers across the country.....

i wonder what will happen when the automatic BCS bids expire in 2012.

Don't get me started on Uconn playing in a bowl game. Big East champs or not its a joke. Its right up there there with the possibility that one of this years NFL playoff teams will have a loosing record.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The play defense in college, so to some I can see how it would appear that they are "holding the ball" when in fact they're just trying to penetrate/find a shot. Defense is NOT played in the NBA so it's nothing but fast breaks and uncontested 3-point shots.

disagree

in college it appears they play far better defense when in reality the quality of players is so vastly inferior than the NBA level that defense is that much easier. 95% of college ball players suck.

could anyone guard Dwayne Wade when he was at Marquette? No. Same goes for when he got to the NBA.

If you think Rajon Rondo and Kevin Garnett don't play stellar defense, your ass cheeks are blocking your view of the TV.

campgottagopee

disagree

in college it appears they play far better defense when in reality the quality of players is so vastly inferior than the NBA level that defense is that much easier. 95% of college ball players suck.

could anyone guard Dwayne Wade when he was at Marquette? No. Same goes for when he got to the NBA.

If you think Rajon Rondo and Kevin Garnett don't play stellar defense, your ass cheeks are blocking your view of the TV.

Phew...I can't chat w/someone who claims 95% of college hoops players suck---that's just plain silly. :-o

deadheadskier

Staff member
You've got 20 players a year who make the NBA and stay in the league. 20 players out of how many hundreds of college ball players?

ctenidae

Living in ct, its impossible to turn on a TV or radio and not hear about this. I take nothing away from what they have accomplished and I am admittedly not a fan of women's hoops at all, but I can't see how you can compare the UCLA streak and this one in the same sentence. To me, you might as well be comparing chess and football. thoughts?

I live in CT, and happily I have no idea what you're talking about. Of course, I don't listen to terrestrial radio and don't watch broadcast TV. Or follow sports.

Now, if it were a story about the women's basketball team streaking, I'd be upset I missed it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What the hell does that have to do with the "D" played in college vs. the NBA.

We disagree---that's fine

bad players are easier to defend, that's what it has to do with.

Carmelo Anthony at Syracuse was pretty much unguardable. When you've got several players on the floor close to his ability at the NBA level, it's much more difficult to defend.

campgottagopee

bad players are easier to defend, that's what it has to do with.

Carmelo Anthony at Syracuse was pretty much unguardable. When you've got several players on the floor close to his ability at the NBA level, it's much more difficult to defend.

I guess we have different ideas of defense---in college I see 10 guys running their asses off to get down the court---in the NBA I don't see that---NBA is an offensive minded league, until playoffs that is, THEN and only then is it good hoops to watch.

bvibert

Staff member
Now, if it were a story about the women's basketball team streaking, I'd be upset I missed it.

The best I can figure is the UCONN hoops team went streaking, something like this:

hoop-skirt-final_display.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't know. I watch the Celtics. KG and Rondo work their ass off on D. Glen Davis steps into charges constantly. The best player in the league, Kobe Bryant, is night in and night out an outstanding defensive player as was Jordan during his time.

campgottagopee

I don't know. I watch the Celtics. KG and Rondo work their ass off on D. Glen Davis steps into charges constantly. The best player in the league, Kobe Bryant, is night in and night out an outstanding defensive player as was Jordan during his time.

Yes, I agree---those dudes get the job done, but the NBA as a league is lazy when you compare them to the NCAA. Heck, with all the games they play they almost have to be....right??

deadheadskier

Staff member
intensity is less in the NBA than college for certain. longer games, longer season, money in the bank already etc.

I still enjoy it more than the college games because the vast majority of NBA players are highly skilled.

The one thing I enjoy about college hoops is the cinderalla. Like when my alma matar, UVM, knocked #1 seeded Syracuse out of the tournament in the 1st round 5 years ago. ;)