• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Uconn women and the streak

2knees

Living in ct, its impossible to turn on a TV or radio and not hear about this. I take nothing away from what they have accomplished and I am admittedly not a fan of women's hoops at all, but I can't see how you can compare the UCLA streak and this one in the same sentence. To me, you might as well be comparing chess and football. thoughts?

deadheadskier

Staff member
John Wooden said recently that he thought the best basketball being played right now was at the collegiate level and it wasn't the men.

I'm not a fan of college women's hoops, but many are, especially older folks like my parents.

WWF-VT

"What UConn has done is important and significant on its own merit. All this talk about comparison to Wooden's UCLA men is just silly. It's not about women vs. men, it's about basketball. Both teams beat their respective competition night in and night out.'' - Former UConn guard Diana Taurasi, the 2002-03 national player of the year.

campgottagopee

To me it doens't matter what sport, what gender or what have you---89 of anything in a row is a lot, so congrats go out to the UCONN Womens team.

MR. evil

but I can't see how you can compare the UCLA streak and this one in the same sentence. To me, you might as well be comparing chess and football. thoughts?

You beat me to it. Its not the same game or same level of compitition. For years now there have only been a very small handful of top women's teams, the rest of the women's schools just can't compete........Its actually kind of a joke. In Men's ball anyone one of the top 25 can beat any other on a given day regardless of rank or record.

great accomplishment and they should be proud, BUT...outside of CT, and women's sports enthusiasts, nobody really cares...and the media is force-feeding this story to an indifferent public

drjeff

John Wooden said recently that he thought the best basketball being played right now was at the collegiate level and it wasn't the men.

I'm not a fan of college women's hoops, but many are, especially older folks like my parents.

That's completely true! The modern women's game, especially when played at a high level, does have a ton of similarities to basically the "pre Dr J" era of basketball. Where the game was played "below the rim" and was about crisp passing, motion away from the ball being just as important as that around the ball, and a generalized lack of ego and a constant stressing that what all 5 people on the floor for the team matters every play. For the basketball "purist" the modern men's game, while often athletically spectactular to watch, is more about entertainment than just playing basketball, and some folks prefer athletics to entertainment with respect to their basketball

Grassi21

You beat me to it. Its not the same game or same level of compitition. For years now there have only been a very small handful of top women's teams, the rest of the women's schools just can't compete........Its actually kind of a joke. In Men's ball anyone one of the top 25 can beat any other on a given day regardless of rank or record.

I agree. Woman's hoops doesn't have the same level of parity as the men's game. Their streak is impressive without a doubt. But comparing it to the UCLA streak isn't an apples to apples comparison.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've said it before and one thing that I think makes the women's game vastly superior to the men's college game is the shot clock. The 45 second shot clock for the men's game is part of the reason why I'm not a fan. There's zero urgency to get a shot and hence they jerk off with the ball for 40 seconds and then end up taking a bad shot anyways.

The women have it right with the 30 second shot clock.

2knees

Men's shot clock has been 35 seconds since 1993

beat me to it. and this isnt the 50's. with the 3 point shot, not too many teams out there are purposefully trying to take the air out of the ball anymore.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Men's shot clock has been 35 seconds since 1993

fair enough. I grew up outside of Boston as an NBA fan watching Bird with my dad as a kid. It's tough to watch the college game after watching NBA as it seems many teams hold the ball forever. That was definitely the case in the final 4 last season.

2knees

fair enough. I grew up outside of Boston as an NBA fan watching Bird with my dad as a kid. It's tough to watch the college game after watching NBA as it seems many teams hold the ball forever. That was definitely the case in the final 4 last season.

funny how many college fans dont like the NBA and vice versa. I love college hoops but only watch the NBA when the Celts are in the playoffs.

Grassi21

funny how many college fans dont like the NBA and vice versa. I love college hoops but only watch the NBA when the Celts are in the playoffs.

I have the same stance on football. Love the NFL, can't stand college football.

My love of college hoops died after Artest and crew left St Johns. That program seems like it will never get back to where they were. :-(

drjeff

I have the same stance on football. Love the NFL, can't stand college football.

My love of college hoops died after Artest and crew left St Johns. That program seems like it will never get back to where they were. :-(

St. Johns 1st needs to get a coach that wears some funky sweaters on the sidelines at each game before it can start the true rebuild to it's once great stature ;) :lol:

Grassi21

St. Johns 1st needs to get a coach that wears some funky sweaters on the sidelines at each game before it can start the true rebuild to it's once great stature ;) :lol:

I miss Lou.... :-(