• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sponsor Posts

noski

Greg- what's with the random "Sponsor" posts sprinkled in the threads?

edit: doh! one followed me in this thread! I keep looking over my shoulder!

BeanoNYC

noski said:
Greg- what's with the random "Sponsor" posts sprinkled in the threads?

edit: doh! one followed me in this thread! I keep looking over my shoulder!

It's easy for us to take this site for granted. The truth of the matter is that there is quite a financial burden in running a site like this (not to mention the time that Greg puts into maintaining it.) The bills have to be paid somehow.

bvibert

Staff member
Beano covered the reasons well. They're the same links that have been after the first post per page (every ten posts) for a while now. Greg just changed the format a little so that they're more recognizable. Obviously it worked... ;)

cbcbd

I think Sponsor is a funny character.

He has a tendency of posting links that relate to the topic... sometimes.

I haven't met him personally and he doesn't seem to say too much on the forum but he seems all right.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
AdBlocker doesn't seem to work on Sponsor, and Sponsor is apparently not a Forum Member so I can not block him. Doh. At least the ads don't appear in my browser but scrolling past the additional frame is meh.

noski

Don't get me wrong- I wasn't complaining- I just thought it odd. When I went in and edited to say one had followed my post, another one followed right behind my edit. That was all after I posted in another thread and one slipped in behind me. I felt like I was being shadowed- or was carrying a worm or virus or something! np- really.

NYDrew

Adblocker wont work on sponsor because it is completely intergrated into the page that is sent to you (i think).

Can we change sponsors name to something funny. Perhaps "Corporate America", I sure some one will top my suggestion.

Greg

Staff member
Technologies like AdBlocker are partly why I need to remain flexible and try new things in order to maintain reasonable ad performance. Please remember that this site is provided free of charge. Our sponsors are the ones that keep it that way.

hammer

Greg said:
Please remember that this site is provided free of charge. Our sponsors are the ones that keep it that way.
Agree...

I'll admit that I'd rather not see the ads or the Sponsor posts but it beats the alternative...

Greg

Staff member
In my never ending quest to strike a reasonable balance with the amount of advertising on AZ, I've removed the "Sponsor posts" for logged in registered members. If you miss his witty contributions to the forums, feel free to log out and browse the threads... ;)

BeanoNYC

In my never ending quest to strike a reasonable balance with the amount of advertising on AZ, I've removed the "Sponsor posts" for logged in registered members. If you miss his witty contributions to the forums, feel free to log out and browse the threads... ;)

I don't mind the posts if it helps cover the cost and time you put into this site. I don't find them intrusive at all.

Greg

Staff member
I don't mind the posts if it helps cover the cost and time you put into this site. I don't find them intrusive at all.

Thanks Rich. Part of the issue is presumably registered members are here to post mostly, perhaps lurk with the added thread tracking features. This leads to increased impression counts on the sponsor ad posts, but with probably minimal additional click throughs which in a sense devalues the ads for the site sponsors.

By showing the ads only to logged out guests, it's my hope the relative click through rate will improve as I suspect most members have unconsciously "tuned out" the ad spots anyway. I probably won't see much of a decrease of clicks, but with less impressions being shown this ad location should appear more valuable.

Better ad value and less intrusiveness for registered members. Win:win.

twinplanx

Sponsor seems alright I don't mind his posts I seem to remember more to do w/ SAC but now when I do get around to checking out that site it seems like I just missed something (deal of the day):(