• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

local ski shop question

tjf67

I bought a pair of got bac and some barons from REI. Brought them into my local shop to get mounted. Got a call that they mounted them wrong and had to remount. I think they owe me new skis. They r trying to just give me the mount for free. I called therm to see if they could get me the ski before I ordered off the internet. I bought skiis from them last year and this year. Am I wrong for asking for new skiis? Oh they were charging me 60 bucks for the mount so they were not giving me a deal there.

wa-loaf

I'm surprised they told you. Usually especially if the holes are covered, they'll just remount and go on. The skis will work fine. I'd just ask for the mounting fee back.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
$60 for a mount is pretty steep. I guess shops are increasing prices due to more folks going online. They know that is the only way they can get in on the action. So I think $60 for a mounting error is a fair trade if you get the mount for free. Two sets of holes isn't going to really effect performance much if at all.

Puck it

Take the free mount. BTW, baroan and dukes are really easy to mount. I just did mine a couple of weeks ago on my Porophetes.

Riv,

Just got my G3 skins from BC today. If we get some more snow down here. I will be out on the local golf course practicing.

tjf67

They told me cause the holes are showing. 60 dollar discount for screwing up a 700 dollar pair of skis is not sitting well with me.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
They told me cause the holes are showing. 60 dollar discount for screwing up a 700 dollar pair of skis is not sitting well with me.
Now you not which shop not to bring your boards to. I am very selective with where I mount my skis after I had an "incident" in which the tech used inches instead of CMs on where I wanted the mount relative to boot center. I never thought it was so complicated... but I think it is probably one of the most important issues in choosing a shop... who is going to handle your babies.

Time of year makes a difference too. Week before Xmas? They are probably racing to put as many binders as they can on boards. I try to mount up in summer or fall when I can tell them to take their time... I'll be back in a month or two. I gotta figure they approach it under less pressure.

tjf67

It is a good ski shop. I know them and ski with them. Jut got off the phone with the manager. They r going to order new skis. When they come in they r going to switch out and put the bad ones in the rental shop.

Got nothing to do with pressure more likely a stoned moment.

tjf67

The shop did the right thing. Puck it you would have never settled for a free mount.

Time of the year makes a difference? Really? You go during the summer. River you r a tool.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Settle down TJ. No need to be an asshole when asking for advice and people share valid opinions. Grab a drink on the way home from the shop, you clearly need one.

FWIW, I'd have asked for a new set of skis if the initial mount was screwed up regardless of whether I bought the skis at the shop or not. They are supposed to be pros and should do it right the first time. If they screw up, then they need to start over from scratch and that includes new skis IMO. Used skis, different story obviously.

Pretty certain Greg had a similar issue with a set of bump skis he bought a few years ago and asked for them to be replaced with new boards and the shop did just that.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The shop did the right thing. Puck it you would have never settled for a free mount.

Time of the year makes a difference? Really? You go during the summer. River you r a tool.

Yikes! I know that you are pissed, but these guys didn't mean any harm to you.

The shop has resolved the issue. Pay it forward now.

Last edited:

tjf67

Settle down TJ. No need to be an asshole when asking for advice and people share valid opinions. Grab a drink on the way home from the shop, you clearly need one.

FWIW, I'd have asked for a new set of skis if the initial mount was screwed up regardless of whether I bought the skis at the shop or not. They are supposed to be pros and should do it right the first time. If they screw up, then they need to start over from scratch and that includes new skis IMO. Used skis, different story obviously.

Pretty certain Greg had a similar issue with a set of bump skis he bought a few years ago and asked for them to be replaced with new boards and the shop did just that.

Not trying to be an asshole and I am not upset. But honestly " I wait till summer and tell them to take their time". Yeah just sayin

deadheadskier

Staff member
Time of year makes a difference too. Week before Xmas? They are probably racing to put as many binders as they can on boards. I try to mount up in summer or fall when I can tell them to take their time... I'll be back in a month or two. I gotta figure they approach it under less pressure.

Not trying to be an asshole and I am not upset. But honestly " I wait till summer and tell them to take their time". Yeah just sayin

Where did he say to 'wait till summer"? All he said was he generally tries to handle that kind of work during the summer time. Shops are under crazy pressure right now, which typically does mean more mistakes in any business. Pretty basic logic. Not sure how that makes river a 'tool'.

Greg

Staff member
Settle down TJ. No need to be an asshole when asking for advice and people share valid opinions.

+1

Exactly the same thing happened to me. And the eventual outcome was similar. The shop eventually replaced the skis as they should have. I didn't feel the need to ask here if it was the right thing.... And if I did, I would have expected others to respond with differing opinions.

Not trying to be an asshole

You sure?

This is a no-brainer for me. The shop effed up the skis and they should be replaced whether they would have affected the performance or not. Of course the shop is going to see if they can get away without it, but if challenged, they shouldn't give a hard time replacing them. Sounds like it all worked out.

Happy Holidays! :spread:

skidmarks

Maybe that's why they charge $60.00. If they F up every 12th $700.00 ski they still break even not including the $120.00 they paid for the template.

tjf67

riv I am sorry.

I was looking for what other people would have done. I like the guys @ the shop and wanted to make sure I wasn't being un reasonable. I knew there was no structure change to the ski.
I can see from responses people don't think its a big deal if they screw the mounting up.