• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

To you tuners, cheaper bench alternatives? + other questions

ClownSki

hey guys,

i've had two ppl who i've gotten lessons from talk crap about the tuning job a local ski shop has done. that coupled with them going back on their word to me has led me to have 0 intentions of stepping foot back in that shop. i was going to give them all my business out of laziness, plus i liked one of their workers but no mas.
the first person i got a lesson from said if i was serious about skiing every day i should learn to wax my own skis. as he recommends doing it everyday.i didn't press further as i'm a bit lazy, but now i'm going to. the next two guys i got lessons from echoed that same sentiment.

a couple google searches on ski wax benches come back with some ridic prices.. $250+. i'd assume i can find something at ikea that will work for 1/5 the price. is this recommended? or should i shell out the extra bucks?

i've seen it recommended i should have someone show me how to wax before i try it on my own, you guys agree?

how big of a time commitment am i looking at when doing my own tuning?

i was thinking of juss buying a starter tuning kit i've seen recommended and look at learning to wax first and then worry about the other stuff as i go along. good plan or should i have the intentions of learning to do everything?

any advice appreciated!

Last edited:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I already had a work bench, so I bought two $20 vises at Lowe's and made supports for my skis using some scrap wood I had.

As far as time commitment goes, it's really up to you. Typically, it takes me two beers to do a full tune or about an hour.

Hawkshot99

You do not need to wax your skis every time you go out. I used to do that, but only because I would do them at work when i was bored. Now I dont have the area to do it like that so they are done much less, and I am just as happy.

You do not need a special table to wax. If you have a workshop down stairs just use 2 2x4's to hold the skis, so when upside down the bindings are elevated.

kingslug

I use 2 sawhorses..and click the boots in to keep the brakes up and add some weight to keep them from moving too much..not the best setup but its all I can do in an apartment...i am going to get a table and vices though...and you don't have to spend 250.00 just get something you can clamp the vices to.

bigbog

.......how big of a time commitment am i looking at when doing my own tuning? ....
IME I'd put tuning at ~90% of the importance in ski performance....and waxing ~10%...y/n?
Both great fun and highly rewarding imho....in knowing what's been done.
Just about every one of the shops with a website carries one or a couple pretty good DVDs...Tognar, SVST...etc., and my $.01 = same as KSlug and Hawkshot99 info....one doesn't need Gucci vises to get results.., but the elastic hook that'll grab and hold the brake arms up and out of the way...is sure worth the cost.

Last edited:

BeanoNYC

I use a six foot folding table that I got at BJ's for around $40. If you are sharpening correctly you don't need to bear down on your skis/board and the table will stay in place.

Time commitment? Grab a few beers and take your time. Things can go from 30 minutes to a few hours depending on what you need to do. Allow more time for the learning curve.

Warp Daddy

I have an old table in the cellar no vises at all, just put em up on some old wooden blocks and use a pr of Huge wide Rubber bands to keep the brakes out of the way , As Beano says you don't put all that much pressure on em that they move alot.

Putting $$$$ into a waxing tuneup setup just isn't a priority 4me. I tune em and wax em for fun after about 5/6 days on the hill . Strictly a no frills, no hassle, fun activity 4 me

thetrailboss

Staff member
Welcome to the boards.

It's best to see if there are ski tuning lessons in your area or at a local shop. They do workshops. Swix also had demo videos on their website. You can probably find some on You Tube. Other than that, it is not too hard, but you want to know what you are doing.

I have two saw horses from Home Depot and a pair of Swix vices that were on closeout a few years back. It is a special set up that included a "boot" to hold the skis and bindings and two supports on either end. I use a board for the bench. You can use basic shop vices as well and rubber hands to hold the ski bindings down. You can even use an old clothes iron, but be sure NOT to get it too hot.

Other than that, ski vices and irons can cost big $$$. There are good deals at the end of the season. It saves you lots of money on tuning when you do it yourself. I typically take mine to the shop once a year to have them grind the bases. Sharpeners are available for as little as $20 for a basic one.

And as to waxing consistency: I generally do once every couple of days based on ski conditions. If it is spring and the snow is soft and there is little wax/edge wear, I leave them alone. If it is snowmaking conditions like it is now I can go a couple days. I generally sharpen every 5-7 days...same thing--when conditions warrant. A basic multi temp wax is good.

Getting started in tuning and investing the money is a bit hard up front, but the payoffs are enormous. Your skis will last longer and perform much better. There is nothing better than first turns on freshly waxed and sharpened skis. It really is that fun. I won't do it any other way. I can also tell when it is time for wax based on when the skis are handling.

Last edited:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Welcome to the boards.

It's best to see if there are ski tuning lessons in your area or at a local shop. They do workshops. Swix also had demo videos on their website. You can probably find some on You Tube. Other than that, it is not too hard, but you want to know what you are doing.
REI does this also.

BeanoNYC

Welcome to the boards.

After an exhaustive search for ski tuning lessons I finally decided to teach myself on an old pair of skis. I found a bunch of videos on the Swix website to get the basics down. That, coupled with awesome tutorials on Tognar's website, made me a more accomplished hand tuner. It's really something that I enjoy doing now. Now that I have a large basement I hope to put something more permanent in right next to my homebrewing equipment. ;)