• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alexa Ranking

Greg

Staff member
Today our Alexa ranking is 330,050. For those of you not aware of what Alexa ranking is, it's one way of determining how popular a Website is. It generates this value based on users that have installed the Alexa Toolbar visiting a given Website.

My goal is to get AlpineZone.com within the top 100,000 Websites. You can help by installing the Alexa Toolbar which can be downloaded here. It's actually a neat little tool and installing it will contribute to the Alexa ranking of all the Websites you visit. It's similar to the Google toolbar but includes a lot more site information and will provide suggested links to other sites based on Alexa data. It also has a built-in pop-up blocker. The search results are based on Google. Try it out!

I will post updates to this thread as our Alexa ranking improves. 8)

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Sorry, Greg. I like my Google bar. Gotten used to it and I like the pop-up blocker on it. As they say, if it ain't broke, you ain't trying hard enough.

Er, I mean, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-T

Greg

Staff member
You can always run both to try it, and/or simply hide the one you don't use...

Max

After seeing the title to this thread, I figured it was a poll to vote for your feelings of "Alexa", the newest pop singing idol. Since I had never even heard of "Alexa", I immediately felt my age (or worse) and the widening of the generation gap.

Now that I know what "Alexa" is, I no longer sense the generation gap...but I still feel my age, and just as stupid! :D

Max

Greg

Staff member
You may also notice site reviews on Alexa (reviews hosted by Amazon.com). If any of you would be kind enough to write a short review of this site, as well as rate it according to your own views, it would be greatly appreciated:

CLICK

You'll need to either login with your Amazon account or set one up. It only takes a moment to do.

Thanks and much appreciated! This site is better than watching American Idol.... ;)

Greg

Staff member
We're up to 245,395! One step closer to my goal of top 100,000. Did anyone else install the Alexa toolbar besides me?

Max

To admit the truth, I am a bit stodgy and hesitant to install something that I've lived without for years. I've re-formatted my hard drive several times in the past to finally get rid of all traces of experiments that turned out to be bad decisions on my part. The toolbar may be a great item, but I'm holding off for now. I did go to Amazon and write a good review though!

SilentCal

I am in the same boat that Max is in. I have a hard time just figuring out how to do the basic stuff computerwise. I'm a creature of habit and just don't want to change what I am comfortable with. I did leave a review though.

Greg

Staff member
The Announcements/Feedback forum is probably a better place for this...

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Hey,

I looked into Alexa and discovered that not only does it incorporate Goole as a search, it also has a pop-up blocker. So, I've switched from the Google toolbar to Alexa. Let's see if your numbver jumps now.

One thing though:

Popups: Many (23% of sessions have popups) :cry:

That can't be good. Is that just from private messaging?!

-T

Greg

Staff member
the8re said:
Popups: Many (23% of sessions have popups) :cry:

That can't be good. Is that just from private messaging?!
I noticed that too. PMs are the only pop-ups on the site. However, if you click links in forum threads, they will also open in new windows. I suspect those are the sources of the 23%...

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Interesting,

The Other Sites listed on the bar when I visit here are
New England Lost Ski Areas
Cool Works
AtPlay
Alpine Reports
New England Smal College Athlet...

When I visit ellozy's peakbagging site, they list:
Outdoor New England
Views from the Top
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers R
Meet, Move and Mingle

When I visit VFTT, it shows
Way Wired Mountaineer
Rock and Ice: Arkansas HC
Peakbagging in New England
Dakota Needles Climber

Just interesting, I though.

0T

MtnMagic

Well, I'm sure some will agree and some will disagree. Here is my $.02:
Alexa is great -- as long as it is not on your machine! Here is why I feel this way. It:

Tracks or Profiles you.
Gathers Private and Confidential Information from you.
Installs software on your machine without your approval.
Has Unsafe Content.
No Content other than Advertisements and Popup windows.
Contains a Possible Keylogger Program.

The first thing I tell everyone is to delete Alexa.exe on their pc. ( Watch out for Alexa back up. exe!) I believe everything I do (my surfing habits) is no ones business but my own!

Heck, I even prohibit AlpineZone from sending me cookies from rcm.amazon.com or ad.doubleclick.net or any others I deem intrusive.

Now I've spoken my piece -- that's how I feel. All thoughts are certainly most welcomed. My $.02.

MtnMagic

Oh and BTW, Greg.
Your reply puts you over the 1500 mark!
Great website. Thank You!

Greg

Staff member
MtnMagic said:
Well, I'm sure some will agree and some will disagree. Here is my $.02:
Alexa is great -- as long as it is not on your machine! Here is why I feel this way. It:

Tracks or Profiles you.
Gathers Private and Confidential Information from you.
Installs software on your machine without your approval.
Has Unsafe Content.
No Content other than Advertisements and Popup windows.
Contains a Possible Keylogger Program.

The first thing I tell everyone is to delete Alexa.exe on their pc. ( Watch out for Alexa back up. exe!) I believe everything I do (my surfing habits) is no ones business but my own!

Heck, I even prohibit AlpineZone from sending me cookies from rcm.amazon.com or ad.doubleclick.net or any others I deem intrusive.

Now I've spoken my piece -- that's how I feel. All thoughts are certainly most welcomed. My $.02.

Sorry about the ad cookies, Magic. I like to think the advertising I do have is pretty limited and as non-intrusive as possible...