• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wifi cameras?

Glenn

Anyone have any insight? I've been thinking of getting a pair to monitor things in VT when we're not there. More or less to see how things are going, weather, ect. Im not looking for a high end security monitoring system.

I found these : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881192042&cm_re=Wifi_camera-_-81-192-042-_-Product

I'm looking for something thatll be fairly easy to set up too. I'm good with computeers, but I'm not a network engineer.

Geoff

The last time I researched this, the cameras with the features and image quality I consider acceptable still cost $1K. I want tilt/pan, 10x optical zoom, IR night capability, and better than VGA resolution. The problem is that IR-capable sensors with decent resolution aren't produced in sufficient volume to knock the cost down.

bigbog

Pretty interesting Glenn. I'm at Geoff's checkpoint...those were about the same specs I saw the last time I looked... Can't complain about price..eh'? In same boat with you on the networking aspect.

Glenn

The new egg ones seem to be the only ones at that price point. I'll do some ore research. But I may pull the trigger and see what happens.

Glenn

Yeah, that won't work. :lol:

Thanks Root. I guess I should look at the instructions for what I look up. The search continues! Glad I didn't pull the trigger on these. That would have been a bummer....

gmcunni

My dad had something a few years ago. pretty cheap, had some tilting and some panning + digital zoom. i recall the software actually supported multiple cameras so you could have a "security desk" view with up to 16?? pictures on the screen. i'll send him a note to find out the brand (though i think it was D-Link)

Glenn

Gary,
Thanks so much. I appreciate the insight. So he was pretty happy with the performance?

gmcunni

So he was pretty happy with the performance?

I don't think he got much use out of it to be honest. He got it more as a toy than anything else, wasn't using it to monitor his home or anything like that. I played with it a bit when i was visiting him and it worked fine but i was just goofing around with it.

i sent him a note asking what he thought of it, will let you know what he says.

Glenn

Been doing some research on the ol interweb.... Foscam keeps coming up as a good priced, good performing camera. Looks like $120/$150 for a decent, one camera wireless IP cam. http://www.foscam.us/

They're under $100 on Amazon and E-Bay, however, there are a ton of fakes out there. And if you try to upgrade the firmware, they'll brick. Not good. So it may be worth spending an extra few $ and getting the real deal from the company website.

gmcunni

fyi. talked to my Dad regarding the D-Link. as i suspected he never really got much use out of his camera, the application he planned for it never materialized. his comment was "you had more luck with it than I did"